User Info
All said in the title:

86 7,123
 03-02-2012, 02:58 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Thank you Teiste. When I had mine I got similar results but not quit as bloody. I think two passes is all that is required.

100 12,444
 03-02-2012, 04:56 PM
User Info
Love Mantic59's videos. Another great job. Love the horror clips.

2 43
 03-02-2012, 07:51 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
The R41 is the only razor I've had thus far in 10 months of DE Shaving that I can go about a day and half shaving with before I need to shave again. The R41 coupled with a BRW Handle is a great combo and works well for me.

116 3,804
 03-03-2012, 02:22 PM
User Info
ive had the r41 for some time now and get some real nice shaves with it i had to adjust my angle to 20-25 degrees you would think it would srape more at this angle but it doesnt at least in my experience your mmv, if i have a few days stubble or want a fast shave ,fewer passes, this is the razor i grab,

0 104
 03-04-2012, 01:48 AM
User Info
What makes this razor so aggressive is the weaker blade tenseness. It works because the lower guards shape force to operate at a much shallower angle than one is used with other razors. So one must adjust its technique.

The feel of this razor on the skin reminds me the feel of a Slant. The blade doesn't glide smoothly, one really feels the blade edge. It is slightly less comfortable but at least for me it pays off post shave wise. With smoother combo I would have to insist and do more passes hence irritate my skin. YMMV of course.

Mühle has done a great job with this razor. It offers something completely different IMHO.
By the way, which razors would you compare or find similar do this R41 ?

0 42
 03-04-2012, 05:35 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Great video Mantic. That looked pretty painful.

(03-04-2012, 01:48 AM)intravenus de milo Wrote: What makes this razor so aggressive is the weaker blade tenseness. It works because the lower guards shape force to operate at a much shallower angle than one is used with other razors. So one must adjust its technique.

The feel of this razor on the skin reminds me the feel of a Slant. The blade doesn't glide smoothly, one really feels the blade edge. It is slightly less comfortable but at least for me it pays off post shave wise. With smoother combo I would have to insist and do more passes hence irritate my skin. YMMV of course.

Mühle has done a great job with this razor. It offers something completely different IMHO.
By the way, which razors would you compare or find similar do this R41 ?

I find the Joris to be more aggressive then the R41. I think I'm in the minority with that line of thought though.

7 1,018
 03-04-2012, 11:34 PM
User Info
It drives me crazy that these razors are mispronounced. In German, it's pronounced, "Moo-la", not Mule.

[Image: anti_mule.JPG]

Other German words in shaving that are constantly mis-pronounced:

Merkur Futur - "FOO-TUR", not Future

[Image: future.JPG]

Solingen, Germany - pronounced "ZO-ling-en" not Sol-in-jen.

Smile

0 217
 03-05-2012, 12:32 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I think Im gonna pass this one,even when Edwin Jagger and Muhle are my fav razors.

86 7,123
 03-05-2012, 12:55 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I received my R41 just before the weekend and shaved with it straight away. 2 passes is all I dared (WTG and ATG). No blood, but a lot of razor burn and tugging. It was one of my closer shaves, but one of my least comfortable. I used a Derby, which is not one of my favoured blades. Looking forward to another try soon with a different blade, once my skin is again up to the challenge!!!

91 17,851
 03-10-2012, 06:07 PM
User Info
This razor works best for me with MWF and a blue super platinum on multi-day growth.

0 22
 03-11-2012, 12:05 PM
  • mboschm
  • Unregistered
User Info
What can we say about this?
Well, I have not used this razor, but, to be frank, if what I've heard it's true (and tuesday it's my birthday, so I may find out myself pretty soon), if you pretend to use it like an R98, you will get cut for sure.
Let's suppose it's like a straight razor, then it doesn't make much sense using it for a full three-pass shave with 24 hours stubble. It does have sense making one or two passes, specially if you have a noticeable beard.

03-11-2012, 12:32 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I have a wonderful variety of DE razors that give me BBS shaves so I am not in the least bit tempted to try this apparent face eater. Tongue

2 11,211
 03-11-2012, 01:00 PM
User Info
This is a razor that will not work for everyone.

I gave one a good go (several weeks), and I was able to get really nice shaves with it, but the shaves were nothing special. I can get the same close shave from pretty much any SE razor, and a lot of my DE's too.

The difference was that this was not a comfortable razor for my face. YMMV, of course. It just never felt right. At the end of several weeks of thinking 'I'd much rather be shaving with something else', I decided to do just that. I sold it and I've never missed it.

I think this is a razor that will work for certain people (with specific hair growth patterns, skin types, etc.). Other people (like me), can get a decent shave from the thing, but will still have to do a 3+ pass shave, and they'll see little benefit from it. Still others will not be able to use it at all.

I applaud Muhle for designing and making it. It is something like the old Barbasol 'Floating Head' razors. I have one of those still, and I use it occasionally.

People say this is 'the closest thing to a straight' - I think an OCMM is closer, and anyway if I want a straight shave, I use a straight. Biggrin

37 1,731
 03-11-2012, 01:16 PM
User Info
I tried this razor, thanks to a good friend that borrowed it to me. Didn't liked it at all.
Didn't end like Mantic, no bleeding, just a little irritation, but the shave was too tense, always had to pay attention or disaster could happen... for me, shaving is a moment of relaxation, and that turned out to be impossible when using this razor, it is just too aggressive for me.

2 5,532
 03-13-2012, 12:02 PM
User Info
As polarizing as this razor seems to be, I'm sure I'll end up giving it a try sooner or later. I'll keep my eye on the BST...

3 195
 03-13-2012, 09:38 PM
User Info
I enjoy it, but I don't use it very often.

4 309
 03-19-2012, 07:56 AM
User Info
I watched this video when it was first posted on the sharpologits. The I watched it again this morning. Is it just me or is Mantic using a VERY aggressive angle when shaving with it? I've watched most of his videos and especially the Futur ones, and he uses the normal 30 degree angle give or take, but for most of this video he seems much more focused on a 70 or so degree angle. I was surprised he had any face left at all!

129 6,685
 03-19-2012, 01:26 PM
User Info
Sorry it didn't work for him. I absolutely love mine. In fact, I want another just to make sure that if they change it again that I have what I need.

It's aggressive and if it draws blood (once so far) it's my fault. You really need to be up to the potential of the razor and not a "I"m OK, you're OK, we're all OK,", pc type of "I'm up to it." The R41 hasn't heard of not keeping score so as not to offend anyones psyche.

I have to give Mantic credit for putting that video into the public domain, but it really only shows that the razor isn't for him. Maybe not for others as well.

I think I'll use mine tomorrow in memory of the shave in the video.

FWIW, I do one n/s pass, then ATG, and touch ups (I call it 2 1/3 passes) and I have the closest shave I can possibly get and no blood. My shaves have never gotten closer or more efficient than that. I feel nothing growing out for many hours afterward, not so with some other razors that I get a BBS from.

I did try other passes, but they simply weren't needed. The R41 gives great audio feedback, and there was nothing being cut, so why make another pass?

The R41 is absolutely awesome!

32 6,309
 03-19-2012, 04:19 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I used mine this morning and had no weepers or nicks. I do WTG, ATG and small touch ups as well. I had 3 at one point (one with a BRW Handle, the one that's on the BST here now, and another one). I have an R101 on the way as well (black handled) which I hope will fix the one problem I have with this razor, the slick handle.

116 3,804