08-01-2012, 01:51 AM
User Info
(07-31-2012, 10:04 PM)iKon Wrote: [Image: progressnumbering.jpg]

No longer being made , it was an early product and we moved on to making complete stainless steel DE razors. Badger

Please make it again!!! That looks awesome Greg.

7 1,181
 08-03-2012, 10:57 AM
  • Exapno
  • Northampton, England
User Info
The progress is one of the few razors I almost own. I say almost because I lent it to my brother in law and have never seen it again. There seems to have been some misunderstanding and loan became own Confused Judging by the state of his chin, I'm guessing it's not getting an awful lot of use. Fortunately, Merkur brought out the lang handled progress and I think I'd prefer that to the original so it's on my shopping list as an eventual purchase. There were a couple of things I didn't like about the progress though and these have been rectified quite spectacularly in this thread. I would have some knurling on the handle and I'd replace the knob for something a bit less... well, plastic.

Forgive my ignorance but is anyone in the UK, US or EU still modifying the progress?

0 132
 08-04-2012, 09:46 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
(08-03-2012, 10:57 AM)Exapno Wrote: The progress is one of the few razors I almost own. I say almost because I lent it to my brother in law and have never seen it again. There seems to have been some misunderstanding and loan became own Confused Judging by the state of his chin, I'm guessing it's not getting an awful lot of use. Fortunately, Merkur brought out the lang handled progress and I think I'd prefer that to the original so it's on my shopping list as an eventual purchase. There were a couple of things I didn't like about the progress though and these have been rectified quite spectacularly in this thread. I would have some knurling on the handle and I'd replace the knob for something a bit less... well, plastic.

Forgive my ignorance but is anyone in the UK, US or EU still modifying the progress?

When in stock LEE,S Razors (New York,USA) sell the MER Modified MERGRESS for $124 US ...usually sell out quickly so check site often .

6 2,151
 08-04-2012, 12:35 PM
User Info
(05-05-2012, 09:39 AM)bullgoose Wrote: Many people like the retro plastic knob on the Merkur Progress and many people do not. For those who do not like the plastic knob, there are several options for customizing. Off the top of my head, I can think of two...you can buy a replacement knob from Bob's Razor Works or, you can send your Progress to Eric (Mer) Maier for customization.

Eric will customize your razor with indicator dots (your choice of color), he will replace the plastic knob with a metal one and will also smooth out the mechanism.

Below is a picture of a few different "Mergresses" borrowed from Eric's vendor thread.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1550]

I must admit I have never been a fan of Progress because of the plastic knob, but after seeing Eric's work, I am lusting after one of this masterpieces.

5 833
 08-05-2012, 10:21 PM
  • Triad
  • Texas
User Info
Have progress and mergress both give a great shave mergress looks better and the calibration Eric does is a nice bonus
[Image: 212d314a.jpg]

118 1,714
 08-06-2012, 01:15 PM
User Info
I'll start by first admitting to the fact that I believe myself to be in the minority. At least as far as I'm able to discern as a forum/s member with respect to razors and the size. I like heavy razors, they're easy for my arthritic hands to hold. I adore the Merkur 43C, the Muhle Grande's, a bulbous EJ and a few others that fit into the HEFTY category. I've read many times how people like smaller, more nimble razor's. As the owner of a good sampling of razors that covers virtually the spectrum of lengths and weights, I can honestly say that I do not understand this. I respect many members whose preference is counter to mine. There is of course no accounting for taste and as I have stated, I like big razors.

This said, I have both a Regular Progress (plastic knob) and a Regular Progress, now Mergress (XL) with the extended stainless knob. This simple addition turns an otherwise pretty darn good razor into a very nice, almost work art like, near precision tool. This completely changes both the weight and balance of what was a nice though fairly short razor.

I like the Mergress to the point that I seldom (as in almost never) use a Futur anymore. The Mergress gives me what I liked in the Futur without the downside of an over-sized head. It has certainly become one of my 2 most liked/used razors. I would recommend to anyone seriously considering this conversion to take the leap. If you have any inclination towards a larger sized razor, you're going to like this. Even if in the past you haven't liked one of the Big Boy's, give this one a shot. Should by some chance you not like it, reselling seems to be fairly easy.

I give this conversion my highest recommendation, not much more I can say.

0 145