03-23-2014, 08:24 AM
  • Utah-Man
  • Happy Fatboy user
  • Salt Lake City, Utah
User Info
I have a Weck Sextoblade that I shave with occasionally. I would shave with it more often, but the blades are fairly expensive. What can I do to extend the blade life?

0 52
 03-23-2014, 08:27 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I am not familiar with this Weck Sextoblade ...

edit: never mind ... I googled it ... very interesting!

102 18,545
 03-23-2014, 01:27 PM
  • Utah-Man
  • Happy Fatboy user
  • Salt Lake City, Utah
User Info
I don't know where they came up with that name for it!

0 52
 03-23-2014, 03:49 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I read over on SRP where a guy owns one and strops it like his regular straights. Says it makes the blade last twice as long. I assume you are using shaper blades in it. I know Personna and Fromm make these types of blades.

175 23,752
 03-23-2014, 04:05 PM
User Info
Try Sally's . They have blades that should fit it. Take the razor and a blade with you to show them. Believe they may a Personnas blade .

5 410
 03-23-2014, 04:53 PM
  • Utah-Man
  • Happy Fatboy user
  • Salt Lake City, Utah
User Info
Yes, I have been using Personna blades. I guess that I will have to get a strop and learn how to strop the blades. Any suggestions on a reasonably-priced strop?

0 52
 03-23-2014, 07:33 PM
User Info
Larry at Whipped Dog has a basic strop for $25.oo.
The Weck was sold to beauty shops as a hair shaper. Sally does carry the blades , pack of 10 for $8.99 but if you just look around on line a 60 pack can be had for $35.00.
Then too Larry has a deal on regular straight razors that start at $28.00. No blade replacement required!

0 777
 03-24-2014, 06:32 AM
  • Utah-Man
  • Happy Fatboy user
  • Salt Lake City, Utah
User Info
Thanks for the comments.

I believe (and I may be wrong, I'm no omniscient shaving guru), but the Weck was originally sold as a straight razor and only later became used as a hair shaper. My Weck is vintage US Medical Corps issue for surgical preps; i.e. shaving hair from the surgical site prior to surgery. I do agree that the Personna blades are probably intended to be used as hair shaping blades.

This was an interesting thread at another web site.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread....he-Reviews

0 52
 03-24-2014, 06:53 AM
User Info
What its original intent was I'm not certain but what little I've looked up medical use makes sense as the do make other medical implements. I only know them as my wife who was a cosmetologist as well as her mom having a shop had them around along with the similar Durhams.
If it works , use it!

0 777
 01-08-2015, 08:54 AM
User Info
I became interested in this shavette -- patented in 1909, making it one of the first of its type, possibly even the first -- because I found out that the Weck factory stood in downtown Brooklyn, just 10 minutes' walk from where I live.

From my research, I believe the name SextoBlade came from the original packaging with a set of six blades that could be honed and stropped. These original blades can still be found on eBay; there were various Weck sets.

Over time Weck broadened out from razors into medical instruments and devices.

8 896