03-23-2014, 08:24 AM
  • Utah-Man
  • Happy Fatboy user
  • Salt Lake City, Utah
User Info
I have a Weck Sextoblade that I shave with occasionally. I would shave with it more often, but the blades are fairly expensive. What can I do to extend the blade life?

0 52
 03-23-2014, 08:27 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I am not familiar with this Weck Sextoblade ...

edit: never mind ... I googled it ... very interesting!

102 18,712
 03-23-2014, 01:27 PM
  • Utah-Man
  • Happy Fatboy user
  • Salt Lake City, Utah
User Info
I don't know where they came up with that name for it!

0 52
 03-23-2014, 03:49 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I read over on SRP where a guy owns one and strops it like his regular straights. Says it makes the blade last twice as long. I assume you are using shaper blades in it. I know Personna and Fromm make these types of blades.

180 24,901
 03-23-2014, 04:05 PM
User Info
Try Sally's . They have blades that should fit it. Take the razor and a blade with you to show them. Believe they may a Personnas blade .

5 410
 03-23-2014, 04:53 PM
  • Utah-Man
  • Happy Fatboy user
  • Salt Lake City, Utah
User Info
Yes, I have been using Personna blades. I guess that I will have to get a strop and learn how to strop the blades. Any suggestions on a reasonably-priced strop?

0 52
 03-23-2014, 07:33 PM
User Info
Larry at Whipped Dog has a basic strop for $25.oo.
The Weck was sold to beauty shops as a hair shaper. Sally does carry the blades , pack of 10 for $8.99 but if you just look around on line a 60 pack can be had for $35.00.
Then too Larry has a deal on regular straight razors that start at $28.00. No blade replacement required!

0 778
 03-24-2014, 06:32 AM
  • Utah-Man
  • Happy Fatboy user
  • Salt Lake City, Utah
User Info
Thanks for the comments.

I believe (and I may be wrong, I'm no omniscient shaving guru), but the Weck was originally sold as a straight razor and only later became used as a hair shaper. My Weck is vintage US Medical Corps issue for surgical preps; i.e. shaving hair from the surgical site prior to surgery. I do agree that the Personna blades are probably intended to be used as hair shaping blades.

This was an interesting thread at another web site.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread....he-Reviews

0 52
 03-24-2014, 06:53 AM
User Info
What its original intent was I'm not certain but what little I've looked up medical use makes sense as the do make other medical implements. I only know them as my wife who was a cosmetologist as well as her mom having a shop had them around along with the similar Durhams.
If it works , use it!

0 778
 01-08-2015, 08:54 AM
User Info
I became interested in this shavette -- patented in 1909, making it one of the first of its type, possibly even the first -- because I found out that the Weck factory stood in downtown Brooklyn, just 10 minutes' walk from where I live.

From my research, I believe the name SextoBlade came from the original packaging with a set of six blades that could be honed and stropped. These original blades can still be found on eBay; there were various Weck sets.

Over time Weck broadened out from razors into medical instruments and devices.

10 1,039
 06-04-2018, 02:16 AM
User Info
Since getting one of these razors, I have used it only on occasion.
This weekend, however, I broke it out again and decided to use the guard that was sold with the handle.
It was a good experience! I do recognize that many would say it defeats the purpose of shavette/straight shaving not to concentrate on the blade alone, but I enjoyed just being able to zip along.

I still have a couple of Personna hair shaper blades from the box I bought a few years ago.
The last time I went to Pasteur's, some months ago, they were still in stock.

10 1,039
 07-07-2018, 07:47 PM
User Info
The Weck Sextoblade was my gateway into straight razor shaving.

I had been using SE razors exclusively for several years and had an interest in straight razors. However, after a half century or so using hoe type razors exclusively, a straight felt extremely awkward in my hand and I could easily picture myself lopping off an earlobe or some such.

Then I discovered the Sextoblade.

[Image: rGIGRgG.jpg]

It has a replaceable blade (no honing or stropping to worry about) and a blade guard - sort of a straight razor with training wheels. Blades are readily available in the form of Personna hair shaper blades available at most beauty supply stores. These are wicked sharp and last forever. Vintage carbon steel blades are also easy to find.

As are the razors themselves - I quickly acquired several more.

[Image: 5NnV9dr.jpg]

After a few months of using these, my awkwardness was largely conquered and I was off down yet another rabbit hole.

--Bob

0 187
 07-08-2018, 01:36 AM
User Info
Nice! Love the BKLYN on that guard.

10 1,039