03-23-2014, 10:19 AM
User Info
Has anyone else played with the new "Shaving Value Guide"-tool at WCS?

It's a neat idea that built out could be awesome.

The starting screen is a Google-looking interface with one search field. You enter the type of razor you are interested in:
[Image: wcs1_zpsdb881369.png]

In my case I typed in Edwin Jagger and got a list of models:
[Image: wcs2_zpsf5cde3f1.png]

Selecting the 89L model I got to the details for that razor:
[Image: wcs3_zps3bbdea20.png]

As we can see the data shows that;
Low value: $25.99
Mid: $27
High: $28.01

Estimated resale value: $27

All data comes from completed eBay auctions.

A really interesting tool and supposedly it will continue to be built out for more razors and products.

0 338
 03-23-2014, 10:36 AM
User Info
Very cool. Thanks for posting this.

59 219
 03-23-2014, 10:39 AM
User Info
I try to maintain a current table of selling prices, on eBay and on the forums, for a number of razors and brushes in which I've had an interest. A tool like this seems to be a good, fairly useful shortcut, but it depends entirely upon the care and attention with which the data is entered.

207 12,263
 03-23-2014, 10:55 AM
User Info
(03-23-2014, 10:39 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: I try to maintain a current table of selling prices, on eBay and on the forums, for a number of razors and brushes in which I've had an interest. A tool like this seems to be a good, fairly useful shortcut, but it depends entirely upon the care and attention with which the data is entered.

The way I understand it is that there is no data actually manually entered but rather a feed from eBay with historical data based on completed auctions. I know that's an API/service you can buy from them.

0 338
 03-23-2014, 11:08 AM
User Info
(03-23-2014, 10:55 AM)Darkbulb Wrote:
(03-23-2014, 10:39 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: I try to maintain a current table of selling prices, on eBay and on the forums, for a number of razors and brushes in which I've had an interest. A tool like this seems to be a good, fairly useful shortcut, but it depends entirely upon the care and attention with which the data is entered.

The way I understand it is that there is no data actually manually entered but rather a feed from eBay with historical data based on completed auctions. I know that's an API/service you can buy from them.

Sure, and I'm not denying its basic value, but there will always be outliers that skew the data. In my own tables I try to make a note of when a brush that sold especially low did so because it was a shedder or had a crack or ding in the handle, etc. Information about the quality of various sold items is especially useful to me.

207 12,263
 03-23-2014, 12:43 PM
User Info
(03-23-2014, 11:08 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: Sure, and I'm not denying its basic value, but there will always be outliers that skew the data. In my own tables I try to make a note of when a brush that sold especially low did so because it was a shedder or had a crack or ding in the handle, etc. Information about the quality of various sold items is especially useful to me.

Agree. It would be interesting if there was a way that the top and bottom extreme values were auto-excluded if they deviated too much from the median.

0 338
 03-24-2014, 12:46 PM
User Info
very cool idea. I'm also excited that some of those pics are of my razors. I feel famous!

95 193