03-24-2014, 12:18 AM
User Info
Hey Folks,

Been reading all about the newer synthetics, and I'd like one with ultra soft tips (no scritch), and in a badger I prefer a small knot with short loft, since I face lather soap (sticks mostly loaded on the face). Which brush would you recommend on the cheap?

Front runner based on reading is the Kent Silvertex

Thanks!

5 90
 03-24-2014, 12:45 AM
User Info
I would recommend one of the Muhle Silvertip Fibre v.2 brushes. They come in 19, 21, 23 and 25mm knots. If you want to save some money, the Muhle Black Fibre brushes, in a 20 or 21mm knots, are also excellent for face lathering.

As synthetic knots tend to be "springier" than a comparable badger knot, their lofts can, and should, be higher for comparable performance.

Although the Kent Silvertex is an acceptable brush, the Muhle offerings are generally considered the current state of the art in synthetic knots.

0 386
 03-24-2014, 12:45 AM
User Info
The Kent Silvertex is really the perfect choice based on your specs. It's my favorite brush. With a little web searching, you can find it for $20 shipped, and there is no better value in brushes out there. And it's a Kent!

I had a Black Fibre. Great brush, but not firm enough for me. I like a lot of scrubbiness.

0 17
 03-24-2014, 02:03 AM
User Info
(03-24-2014, 12:18 AM)yomuppet Wrote: Hey Folks,

Been reading all about the newer synthetics, and I'd like one with ultra soft tips (no scritch), and in a badger I prefer a small knot with short loft, since I face lather soap (sticks mostly loaded on the face). Which brush would you recommend on the cheap?

Front runner based on reading is the Kent Silvertex

Thanks!

Ultrasoft and small, to me that equals Muhle Black fiber.
No scritch at at all, just a soft cloud of fibers.

Highly recommended.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 661
 03-24-2014, 02:22 AM
User Info
I have to second the Muhle black fiber. The hjm can be found on bst for around $20.

I went on a synthetic kick a few weeks back and of the four I tried, the black fiber was actually my favorite.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

32 344
 03-24-2014, 04:45 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I lather on my face exclusively and find the Muhle Sivertip Fibre v.2 with the 21 mm good for this. It is beautifully soft with absolutely no prickle or scritch, but because of the springiness of the fibre I have to use a slightly different lathering technique to the one I use with my badger and boar brushes. I found that I get best results from the Muhle by applying pressure and using a hybrid circular cum back and forth stroke, almost as if I'm scrubbing my face, but not quite as vigorously. With my badgers and boars, however, I'm gentler and I use just a little pressure, starting with a circular motion to build lather followed by back and forth motion.

7 909
 03-24-2014, 05:18 AM
User Info
Also consider the dreadnought vanguard. It has a shorter loft than the others.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

32 344
 03-24-2014, 09:14 AM
User Info
The TGN synthetic knots are pretty good, absolutely no scratch, and especially if you know how to handle glue you can save some $. Just go to The Golden Nib site, pick out a knot and handle, and either glue it yourself with epoxy or silicone (less is better, you don't want it to come out when you put the knot in), or pay them their fee to glue it for you. If you're unsure about the compatibility of the knot and handle ask them.

32 6,459
 03-24-2014, 11:27 AM
User Info
Some great suggestions have already been given, here. Best of luck in choosing a brush.

83 21,077
 03-24-2014, 05:05 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I just got a small TSS brush that is about $30 and fun to use. You should check them out. But the softest tips I have ever used are on the new Muhle knots. The 25mm is not cheap but it's a great brush. I also have a 20mm Muhle which is very good. If you're interested in it, PM me.

19 566
 03-24-2014, 05:12 PM
User Info
Plisson synthetic from L'Occitane. I highly prefer to my previously favored Mühle Black Fibres. Only way you may not like it is that you are looking for backbone. However, since people are recommending the Black Fibres I wanted to chime in with the Plisson. Before my Plisson arrived the Black Fibre was my synth of choice. Since it's arrival the Black Fibres (including two customs) sit collecting dust.

31 8,057