05-05-2012, 01:07 PM
User Info
Here is my review of this superb, cheap, but unfortunately hard to acquire shave soap. Quoted from another forum to save time...

SharpSpine Wrote:Just wanted to refresh this on your soap radar. De Vergulde Hand has been making soap for over 450 years. They know what they are doing. While this soap is very, and I mean very inexpensive in Holland (think Arko prices) it is of high quality (again, think Arko)! This soap also has a fairly strong scent which I find much more appealing than Arko, but it is not overpowering nor does it have a long lasting effect. It's a veggie based soap so no tallow but I think the kaolin clay in it makes up for that quite well. While it may be hard to find in the USA you should definitely pick it up if you ever get the opportunity!

De Vergulde Hand Review:
Packaging: The puck comes in a nice sized yet pretty flimsy tub. It's very easy to load in the tub, just don't be very rough with it.

Texture: This is a hard soap that loads easily. Not sure if it's triple milled or not.

Scent: One of my favorites for scent. It is a bit stronger than most. Not overpowering and not terribly long lasting. It does not interfere with my aftershave or cologne.

Latherability: Superb. I don't think I have another soap that lathers this easily.

Cushion: A creamy cushiony lather is very easy to obtain and it protects my face very well. Only severe user error results in blood.

Moisturizing: Definitely not the best in this regard but it also doesn't dry me out or leave my face feeling tight.

Price: Less than $2 I believe in Holland. Getting it here in the US is a bit more costly.

Overall Impression: This soap is definitely one of my top-tier soaps. It easily competes with bigger names and heftier price tags. I'm very thankful to have this soap in my den and will do all I can to keep it stocked so I won't run out.

[Image: De+Vergulde+Hand+Soaps.jpg]

Above: 2 shave sticks and the puck. The 2 sticks are different formulations. See below for ingredients.

[Image: New+Stick+Ingredients.jpg]

Above: Ingredient list for the stick on the right which is exactly the same as the puck.

[Image: Older+Stick+Ingredients.jpg]

Above: Ingredient list for the stick on the left. About 1/4 the amount as the others. Does anyone know more about this? Also this stick has the brand name of "Van De Vergulde Hand" instead of just De Vergulde Hand.

31 7,912
 05-05-2012, 01:12 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
This is an EXCELLENT shaving stick.I tried the first formulation one long time ago with great results.I should get one of these sticks again.
I guess that the second formulation one its a vintage one,isnt it?How does it works?
Thanks for the review,my friend.

86 7,123
 05-05-2012, 01:16 PM
User Info
(05-05-2012, 01:12 PM)Teiste Wrote: This is an EXCELLENT shaving stick.I tried the first formulation one long time ago with great results.I should get one of these sticks again.
I guess that the second formulation one its a vintage one,isnt it?How does it works?
Thanks for the review,my friend.

Yes, Teiste the second one is a vintage formula. I learned from a friend at TSD from Holland who contacted DVH for me that the formula changed to the current one about 3-5 years ago. I have used it and honestly I can't tell much difference between the current & vintage sticks. I almost think the biggest difference in the ingredient list may be due to regulations regarding what has to be reported & what doesn't.

31 7,912
 05-05-2012, 01:20 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Really interesting,my friend.Thanks for the info!

86 7,123
 05-05-2012, 02:23 PM
User Info
Brian, I couldn't take it anymore. I had to lather the soap you sent me. I hand lathered it because the scent is too strong for me at this time, but I have no doubt it'll tone down with the top off of it.

It's incredibly easy to lather, and while I didn't shave with it it seems like very nice lather, easily as good as my best soaps/creams. While the scent is too strong to get near my face in a lather I like the scent. I wouldn't know how to describe it, but it's very nice.

This appears to be another soap that operates way above it's pay grade. I'm looking forward to the scent diminishing so that I use it for a shave.

One plus about the soap neither of you gents mentioned is the practical packaging. It's not fancy packaging at all, it's only plastic, but I've seen much more expensive soaps with much more expensive packaging that doesn't work nearly as well. The "bowl" it comes in actually has sides so that it doesn't make a mess when loading the brush. Everything is contained. Oh, and it stacks with my Ziploc XS size lidded bowls, that's cool.

32 6,308
 05-05-2012, 02:42 PM
User Info
Yes, Brian, the packaging is a bit flimsy but very practical. I've been focusing on my testing & use of MNS this week but I'll have to be back to my DVH tomorrow before church. I knew the scent would be too strong for you but I guarantee in a few days with the top off that you'll be able to use it & experience how well it shaves. I think this would be a great soap for you to use during blade testing as it's very consistent IME. I'm glad you like the scent too. It's one of my favorites!

31 7,912
 05-05-2012, 03:49 PM
User Info
After reading the comments above I went on-line and ordered both a puck (they call it a tablet) and a stick. Shipping is a bit much from Holland, but the soap is inexpensive, together my total cost was $27.00, delivered to sunny California. Thanks for making some of the European soaps known to us.

6 230
 05-05-2012, 04:10 PM
User Info
Rub the tablet on your face.Cool

9 1,199
 05-05-2012, 04:17 PM
User Info
(05-05-2012, 03:49 PM)Bowlturner Wrote: After reading the comments above I went on-line and ordered both a puck (they call it a tablet) and a stick. Shipping is a bit much from Holland, but the soap is inexpensive, together my total cost was $27.00, delivered to sunny California. Thanks for making some of the European soaps known to us.

I look forward to hearing about your experience with it once you try it! Biggrin

(05-05-2012, 04:10 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: Rub the tablet on your face.Cool

Randy, if poo on a stick lathered would you rub that on your face? Wink
Is there any soap that you don't use this way???

31 7,912
 05-05-2012, 04:34 PM
User Info
(05-05-2012, 04:17 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(05-05-2012, 03:49 PM)Bowlturner Wrote: After reading the comments above I went on-line and ordered both a puck (they call it a tablet) and a stick. Shipping is a bit much from Holland, but the soap is inexpensive, together my total cost was $27.00, delivered to sunny California. Thanks for making some of the European soaps known to us.

I look forward to hearing about your experience with it once you try it! Biggrin

(05-05-2012, 04:10 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: Rub the tablet on your face.Cool

Randy, if poo on a stick lathered would you rub that on your face? Wink
Is there any soap that you don't use this way???

24 I was wondering when someone would ask that! LOL!

I think Mama Bear is cookin' up a new scent "Shat in the Woods". I'm all over that!

9 1,199
 05-05-2012, 10:30 PM
User Info
Next time I visit the US, I'll make sure I have a dozen of these in my luggage ;-)

0 641
 05-05-2012, 11:42 PM
User Info
The only problem with these "tablets" are the size. I can't swallow them in one gulp. I need to break it up and swallow it in two or three gulps. Tongue

15 75
 05-06-2012, 03:02 AM
User Info
(05-05-2012, 10:30 PM)wimbouman Wrote: Next time I visit the US, I'll make sure I have a dozen of these in my luggage ;-)

When can I expect you in Tennessee? Wink

31 7,912
 05-06-2012, 07:51 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
It is a magnificent soap. I rate it even higher than Arko, which I rate very highly.

3 2,561
 05-06-2012, 09:18 AM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
I have the stick, I got lucky as I went to order 2 from Shave a Buck, (I usually do this with soaps just in case the next time I order they're out of production) and the order system said it could not fill my order. I almost didn't think about it and went to replace the dollar amount with other products. I came back to the DVH and tried to put 1 in the cart and it worked! The first time I used it, I got a little worried since, for me, the lather started very thin and bubbly. But after a little while working the lather with my brush it pulled together and formed an amazing lather. Very good stuff! I noticed that even in it's proto-lather stage, if I dropped a dollop of the foam into water, it didn't fizz and disappear, as some soaps of lesser quality will do. It will be a sad day when I run out of this stuff. Lucky for me, with my soap rotation I should be well into my retirement before this happensTongue

1 73
 05-07-2012, 05:53 PM
User Info
(05-05-2012, 02:42 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: snip... I knew the scent would be too strong for you but I guarantee in a few days with the top off that you'll be able to use it & experience how well it shaves.... snip

The lid has been off for what, 2-3 days (?) and the scent is greatly reduced. I'm in Italian soap mode for one more day, then I'll try the DVH.

My point is that for anyone who doesn't like strong scent it tones down quite rapidly.

32 6,308
 05-07-2012, 06:09 PM
User Info
(05-07-2012, 05:53 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote:
(05-05-2012, 02:42 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: snip... I knew the scent would be too strong for you but I guarantee in a few days with the top off that you'll be able to use it & experience how well it shaves.... snip

The lid has been off for what, 2-3 days (?) and the scent is greatly reduced. I'm in Italian soap mode for one more day, then I'll try the DVH.

My point is that for anyone who doesn't like strong scent it tones down quite rapidly.

I look forward to hearing your experience with it.

31 7,912
 05-09-2012, 11:10 AM
User Info
Today was the 1st day using the dVH tablet.

To recap, when I opened the tablet on day one the scent was pleasant but there was just too much of it. Brian SS told me that it would dissipate rapidly, and he was correct. I think it's been airing for 4 days and the scent was down to a very nice scent level. As already stated the scent is quite pleasant.

This soap is underpriced. Three soaps come to mind in the same underpriced catagory; VDH, ARKO, and now dVH. It's a very nice soap during the shave. Everything a soap needs to be to get the job done, and done well, this soap has.

I did notice that it doesn't leave much in the way of conditioning on the skin after the shave, but that's no big deal because I use a skin conditioner in my AS.

I plan to use it again tomorrow to further test it with a different brush. I know I won't be disappointed by it.

Nice soap! Now I need to get a regular supply of it.

32 6,308
 05-10-2012, 03:43 PM
User Info
(05-09-2012, 11:10 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Today was the 1st day using the dVH tablet.

To recap, when I opened the tablet on day one the scent was pleasant but there was just too much of it. Brian SS told me that it would dissipate rapidly, and he was correct. I think it's been airing for 4 days and the scent was down to a very nice scent level. As already stated the scent is quite pleasant.

This soap is underpriced. Three soaps come to mind in the same underpriced catagory; VDH, ARKO, and now dVH. It's a very nice soap during the shave. Everything a soap needs to be to get the job done, and done well, this soap has.

I did notice that it doesn't leave much in the way of conditioning on the skin after the shave, but that's no big deal because I use a skin conditioner in my AS.

I plan to use it again tomorrow to further test it with a different brush. I know I won't be disappointed by it.

Nice soap! Now I need to get a regular supply of it.

I'm very excited that you enjoyed the soap Brian! Did you notice much difference using a different brush today?

31 7,912
 05-10-2012, 08:15 PM
User Info
Well, I loaded a few seconds more, and it was a bigger brush, so I had more lather. That's all. Still good stuff.

I need to do a test lather and take it to the lather breakdown point. It almost looked like it could use more water. In fact, I'll do that now while I'm thinking of it.

Edit: I just did a test lather to bring it to the breakdown point and just discovered something about it. It absolutely has got to be THE soap for noobs. Loaded my brush for a maximum of 4 seconds so that I made sure I could get it to breakdown. With most soaps that little bit of loading ensures breakdown occurs rapidly. I put an insane amount of water into it and all I kept getting was more lather. An insane amount of high quality lather. I finally gave up. I reached breakdown before the lather did. If it hadn't been a hand lather but a face lather that 4 seconds of brush loading would have easily been enough for my normal shave routine with plenty left over.

I've been overloading my brush and not hydrating it enough and what I had was still good lather. I plan to use it again tomorrow and use my new found knowledge.

BTW, I have extremely soft water so this may not work for others with their tap water. But I bet the use of distilled water would replicate my results.

It's an amazing soap.

32 6,308