03-24-2014, 01:36 PM
User Info
Finally got around to using my 1912 GEM SE razor today.

I lathered up some wonderful 3P soap and put a brand new coated, GEM SS blade in.

That's where the pleasantries ended as I must say it was the 'worst' shave I've had with any SE razor.. Sad
It was very loud and the handle didn't 'feel right'. It also felt oddly aggressive.

Even though the shave in the end gave me a smooth face it simply wasn't a very enjoyable shave.

It also make me wonder...I really liked the 1912 Ever-Ready (with chain-link handle) razor...and the head seems very similar...can the handle make that much difference, is there any differences in the head that I'm not picking up on...or was it just a bad day for me? Smile

Here are some photos of the lil' beast..:

[Image: GEM1_zps13a148fd.jpg]

[Image: GEM2_zps587a611b.jpg]

[Image: GEM3_zpse371f2a3.jpg]

Photos taken w/ Fuji X100

0 338
 03-24-2014, 01:50 PM
User Info
Whenever I hear about something like this I always suggest double checking to make sure that your blade is properly seated at the bladestops. With those little nubs as bladestops it is very easy for one edge of the blade to ride up and over the stop while the other edge is seated properly. I believe this happens because of how tight these heads snap shut. I have had a rough shave before and afterwards checked to find just one end of the blade sitting on top of (instead of behind) the little bladestop.

31 8,057
 03-24-2014, 01:53 PM
User Info
I think I checked everything to make sure the blade was aligned well. Well I have a habit of never giving up after ONE shave...I use a razor at least three times before I make a final decision...so we'll see what the next two shaves can reveal Smile

0 338
 03-24-2014, 02:00 PM
User Info
Is it possible that you got a rough blade. Do you palm strop your blades at all? I am in the habit of palm stropping every new blade 7x on each side before loading it into the razor. I've found that this smooths out the first couple shaves which can be rough from the GEM blades.

31 8,057
 03-24-2014, 02:47 PM
User Info
Hm, never tried hand stropping but will absolutely give that a try.
Thanks for the tip!

0 338
 03-24-2014, 03:17 PM
User Info
Good luck with your second shave! Smile

83 21,077
 03-24-2014, 08:07 PM
User Info
That handle tells me it's a '24 (it's still a 1912), and it should be a fantastic shave. At least that's been my experience with the '24. Of course anyone could put that handle on any 1912 to throw us off.

I hope the next shave is better.

32 6,459
 03-24-2014, 10:06 PM
User Info
(03-24-2014, 08:07 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: That handle tells me it's a '24 (it's still a 1912), and it should be a fantastic shave. At least that's been my experience with the '24. Of course anyone could put that handle on any 1912 to throw us off.

I hope the next shave is better.

So far I've been fortunate enough to try out four SE razors (I still have three more to go in my little instant-collection) and if I were to rate them in order of how much I currently enjoy them it would be as per below (best to the left and then decreasing to the right):

[Image: top4_zpsa3f23a09.jpg]

Bonus points to anyone who can name them all lol Smile

0 338
 03-24-2014, 10:22 PM
User Info
I won't ruin it for others. Let them take a stab at it. I know what they are.

As you're discovering, the various 1912s shave differently. The geometry changes are subtle but they make for large differences in the shave.

The razors you dislike... unless you need the cash, don't part with them. Revisit them in a bit. It took me 2 years, give or take, to come to like my Kampfe '13 LC. I mean really like it and get comfortable with it. Now I wonder what the problem was. It's strange how suddenly one can "click" with a razor. Unless you have it on hand to try you can miss out on a really great razor.

32 6,459
 03-24-2014, 10:36 PM
User Info
(03-24-2014, 10:22 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I won't ruin it for others. Let them take a stab at it. I know what they are.

As you're discovering, the various 1912s shave differently. The geometry changes are subtle but they make for large differences in the shave.

The razors you dislike... unless you need the cash, don't part with them. Revisit them in a bit. It took me 2 years, give or take, to come to like my Kampfe '13 LC. I mean really like it and get comfortable with it. Now I wonder what the problem was. It's strange how suddenly one can "click" with a razor. Unless you have it on hand to try you can miss out on a really great razor.

Now, I wouldn't say 'dislike' so much as 'like less'. Smile
I won't sell them as I do agree with you that preferences, technique, etc will change and who knows I may end really liking them in the future.

0 338
 03-25-2014, 12:20 AM
User Info
Could be a bum blade... I draw one every once in a while....

6 827
 03-29-2014, 12:10 PM
User Info
So..with three shaves under my belt now using this razor I must say each shave felt better..until the morning's shave that felt great!
I'm starting to think the GEM SS blades don't really shine until 2-3 shaves. Interesting.
Ok, so this IS a great razor Smile

0 338
 03-29-2014, 12:21 PM
User Info
What I do with new GEM SS blades is to use it in a milder razor for 3-4 shaves to allow them to reach their stride, after that they can go into any SE razor.

Lots of folks claim they aren't as sharp as the carbon steel blades, but I never heard of any blade getting sharper with use. So I'm betting that they're actually far sharper and that the 3-4 shaves allows the ultra sharp edge to be worn away slightly.

The blades can also be hand stropped to relieve the edge a bit. I just mention that, I've never done it.

32 6,459