03-25-2014, 03:07 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Gents,

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't seen a lot of people mention and/or commenting on the Los Angeles Shaving Soaps around our little corner.

A quick Google and I found very positive reviews all around, but I'd like to get a little more info from those of you that use it.

[Image: b1_open_grande.jpg?42]

I'm particularly interested in the Bespoke #1. Here's the ingredient list:

Vetiver Essential Oil
35 million year old Himalayan Amber Oil
Frankincense Essential Oil
Opopanax (Sweet Myrrh)
Clove Essential Oil
Pepper Essential Oil
Bergamot Essential Oil
Patchouli Essential Oil
Cedar Essential Oil
Vanilla Extract
Anise Extract
Labdanum Absolute

As state above, this is a very earthy scent, with a vetiver base augmented by amber, frankincense, sweet myrrh, pepper, clove, and cedar. If you're one of those who treats shaving as a ritual, this soap (which includes components that have been used in incense and fragrance for millennia), should complement that nicely.

This one left me pretty curious, but the other scents also seemed quite interesting. What say yee?

Thank you in advance.

26 4,952
 03-25-2014, 03:37 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
They are very good soaps. I have the Bespoke, and it's a nice aroma, learthy/earthy, sophisticated . The other soap I bought is the Fougere, and it too is a very good scent. Performance wise they are top drawer, with lubricity and moisturizing on par with the best (MdC and MWF) for me. Get the wide tub, it's easier to use your brush with

19 753
 03-25-2014, 03:46 AM
User Info
Use both the Woody Lavender and Fougere, excellent soaps in my rotation, as good as any Veggie soap I've found.

54 1,214
 03-25-2014, 04:19 AM
User Info
They're easy to lather and the fragrance lingers during the shave. I've found post skin care to be excellent, my skin is very moisturised after the shave. Given the heat here in Singapore, I've been using Vanilla, Eucalyptus and Mint. For people who live in countries with four seasons, I'd recommend Topanga Fougere for Spring and Summer, and Bespoke No.1 for Autumn and Winter Smile

[Image: ky1n.jpg]

Topanga Fougere ingredients:

[Image: l4e9.jpg]

23 475
 03-25-2014, 05:20 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I ordered four samples from Maggard Razors, liked them, and ordered a tub of Woody Lavender. As others have said, it is a great line of soaps. A few seconds to load and you easily have enough for an excellent 3-pass shave. I used it again today after using MdC for two days. I am going to switch back and forth for a few more days to make a personal comparison. The soaps in the photo above show the new tubs and labels....a big improvement.

Bob

[Image: SOTD3-25-14_zps13c7f950.jpg]

4 2,822
 03-25-2014, 05:59 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(03-25-2014, 05:20 AM)Coyote Wrote: I ordered four samples from Maggard Razors, liked them, and ordered a tub of Woody Lavender. As others have said, it is a great line of soaps. A few seconds to load and you easily have enough for an excellent 3-pass shave. I used it again today after using MdC for two days. I am going to switch back and forth for a few more days to make a personal comparison. The soaps in the photo above show the new tubs and labels....a big improvement.

Bob

[Image: SOTD3-25-14_zps13c7f950.jpg]

Are the new tubs that good, Bob? I ask because I'm really not a big fan of the petri dish type tubs, such as the HTGAM 5". I prefer the tubs to have a little more height, so as to hold some lather before passing to the bowl.

26 4,952
 03-25-2014, 06:13 AM
User Info
I have to say that I may be LASS's biggest fan. I truly think this is the best performing soap on the market. There may be thicker lathers or better, stronger scents, but for me, the shaves with LASS are always so consistent and irritation free.

I have four now: Woody Lavender, Fougere, Bespoke and Romance.

32 344
 03-25-2014, 06:20 AM
User Info
I used a sample of the Bespoke this morning. I wouldn't say I dislike the scent, but it's a bit darker than I prefer (if that makes any sense).

I'll agree that the lathers does tend to be a bit on the thin side, but it is still very slick and protective. Combined with the Weber DLC I got a very comfortable shave.

10 2,062
 03-25-2014, 08:27 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(03-25-2014, 06:20 AM)taborcarn Wrote: I used a sample of the Bespoke this morning. I wouldn't say I dislike the scent, but it's a bit darker than I prefer (if that makes any sense).

I'll agree that the lathers does tend to be a bit on the thin side, but it is still very slick and protective. Combined with the Weber DLC I got a very comfortable shave.

I also read a few people mentioning the lather was on the thin side, which is something I'm not a big fan of.
In fact, it sounds a bit like some italian croaps such as the ABCBA or the P.160 Duro. The lather is a bit thin, but is is extremely slick. Does this comparison make any sense to you, gents?

26 4,952
 03-25-2014, 09:50 AM
User Info
Very good soap, IMO.

0 25
 03-25-2014, 01:53 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
Great soap that performs well, and the scents are very different. The Bespoke #1 is a very unique scent that has a ceremonial feel to me because of the frankincense, and many a holiday sitting in church. The Topanga Fougere is very green smelling (more in the vein of MdC than Penhaligon's). My favorite is the Vanilla Eucalyptus Mint, which just works for me.

0 1,137
 03-26-2014, 06:00 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Monk-I can't help. I don't have one of the new tubs. From the photos though, they appear to be the deeper ones, which I also prefer.

4 2,822
 03-26-2014, 06:49 AM
User Info
The scent of the fougere soap was very off-putting to me. I know LASS uses natural ingredients but it had a strong chemical smell to my nose. That said, the lather was one of the best I've experienced with artisan soaps. I may order another version in the future because the lather was so great.

0 68
 03-27-2014, 09:10 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Thanks for all your help, gents.

I've put the Bespoke on the "Buy Soon" list... which other scent should I add? I'm not a big fan of traditional Fougeres... I much prefer woody and vetiver based scents.

26 4,952
 03-27-2014, 10:25 AM
User Info
(03-27-2014, 09:10 AM)TheMonk Wrote: Thanks for all your help, gents.

I've put the Bespoke on the "Buy Soon" list... which other scent should I add? I'm not a big fan of traditional Fougeres... I much prefer woody and vetiver based scents.

I have a strange sense of scent, but to me Bespoke has the definite aroma of vetiver. And do not forget that LASS has a woody lavender soap, which smells like woody lavender. So those are two good choices for you.

3 543
 03-27-2014, 10:35 AM
User Info
I have Bespoke, lavender, and Fougere.

Bespoke smells nice but not up my alley. Fougere is amazing and it's my favorite from them.

3 254
 03-27-2014, 10:38 AM
User Info
Interesting, I found it to be quite the opposite - a complex, but very natural scent. Scent is such a YMMV thing.

(03-26-2014, 06:49 AM)jay_gord Wrote: The scent of the fougere soap was very off-putting to me. I know LASS uses natural ingredients but it had a strong chemical smell to my nose.

54 1,214
 03-29-2014, 02:44 PM
User Info
Just revisited this thread because I saw that John just introduced a new scent - Spring Street, and was hoping someone had commented on it. However, saw several posts about thin lather, and just wanted to say that that has not been my experience with the Santa Monica Bay Rum, Topanga, Romance nor Bespoke samples I have. I face lather and it has always been rich and creamy for me.

3 543
 03-29-2014, 02:58 PM
User Info
(03-29-2014, 02:44 PM)john parker Wrote: Just revisited this thread because I saw that John just introduced a new scent - Spring Street, and was hoping someone had commented on it. However, saw several posts about thin lather, and just wanted to say that that has not been my experience with the Santa Monica Bay Rum, Topanga, Romance nor Bespoke samples I have. I face lather and it has always been rich and creamy for me.

Maybe a case of use more product.

23 475
 03-29-2014, 03:24 PM
User Info
I've experienced the thin lather, but in no way shape or form was it a bad lather. It was protective and slick, and made for a fantastic shave,

The thinness may be due to me having to scoop a little out of the sample containers and bowl lather it. I've now smashed the remainder on to a flat lid and will try to load from that and face lather next time.

10 2,062