05-05-2012, 07:30 PM
User Info
Was it really worth it over other good aftershaves? No, not to me. Since buying EOL(extract of limes) scent, I haven't really noticed any difference in my skin. I've had the bottle for over 7 months now and I think I've made a big money mistake purchasing it. Sure it smells good, but it hasn't done a thing to improve my skin or shave like Trumpers and many others claim it does, as if it's a secret magical potion. If I apply this in a humid bathroom or climate, it gets sticky. I don't think there is any product out there that will do much for me. I've tried AOS(good for occasional razor bumps), Trumpers(fast drying), and T&H(way too greasy imo).

I liked lucky tiger, but Idk if I'd buy whole tub of it and I've yet to try Proraso, which I've heard Lucky Tiger is the same, but cheaper. I don't think any of the high-end products do a damn thing other than smell good and then their scent disappears within minutes too. So over paying for the scent if useless if the scents don't linger. It doesn't even fight razor burn or heal razor bumps and ingrown hairs - if you got them.

0 128
 05-05-2012, 07:52 PM
User Info
I don't think it sucks but it never appealed to me. The tragacanth in it has been used historically for burns and wound healing in higher concentrations. That is what gives it the tacky and gummy feel

2 697
 05-05-2012, 07:54 PM
User Info
i use my GFT Skin food after my 1st rinse. i shave, apply some extra lather to my face during cleanup. then i rinse and leave my face WET. apply 2-3 drops of GFT Skin food to my we face, then finish with a balm after the Skin Food has dried

i basically use it, in place of WH for the past few weeks and it's been going very well.

it also makes a good ubber-lather product. add a couple drops to lather that isn't slick enough, it works wonders for this as i guess it's got a ton of glycerin in it.

8 2,718
 05-05-2012, 08:03 PM
User Info
(05-05-2012, 07:54 PM)brucered Wrote: i use my GFT Skin food after my 1st rinse. i shave, apply some extra lather to my face during cleanup. then i rinse and leave my face WET. apply 2-3 drops of GFT Skin food to my we face, then finish with a balm after the Skin Food has dried

i basically use it, in place of WH for the past few weeks and it's been going very well.

it also makes a good ubber-lather product. add a couple drops to lather that isn't slick enough, it works wonders for this as i guess it's got a ton of glycerin in it.

Have not used it in a long time. What you describe sounds like they took the tragacanth out and just made it a fragrant glycerin solution.

2 697
 05-05-2012, 08:10 PM
User Info
(05-05-2012, 07:54 PM)brucered Wrote: i use my GFT Skin food after my 1st rinse. i shave, apply some extra lather to my face during cleanup. then i rinse and leave my face WET. apply 2-3 drops of GFT Skin food to my we face, then finish with a balm after the Skin Food has dried

I already have enough slickness with Tabac and D.R. Harris. Perhaps I should go back to using alcohol-based aftershaves. I do miss the burning and stinging...

0 128
 05-05-2012, 08:24 PM
User Info
I have found the GFT skin food to be soothing. It's is not a lingering scent. I don't consider it an aftershave. I live in the humid South and don't feel any of the tackiness/lotion kind of sensation at all, just a nice "matte finish".

You might like RazoRock Shaving Wax. Very nice scent.

Also, Bay Rum is ver soothing for me. A Shavenook member makes a great one. Shadowsdad is the username and Krampfert's Finest Bay Rum is the name. Nice bay rum scent.

21 1,475
 05-05-2012, 08:55 PM
User Info
(05-05-2012, 08:10 PM)JonJones84 Wrote:

I already have enough slickness with Tabac and D.R. Harris. Perhaps I should go back to using alcohol-based aftershaves. I do miss the burning and stinging...

What are your favorite alcohol-based AS?

9 1,199
 05-06-2012, 02:44 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
There are some really good alcohol based A/S that both heal and moisturize. Everyone is jumping on the Floid bandwagon right now but for good reason. The blue is obviously being D/C so not much help but if you do buy a bottle you won't regret it. Hours after I use it I feel like I put a moisturizing lotion on. The suave is great too. Speick is another good option that heals great. But if you wanna stick to balms I would agree about the RazoRock Wax it's very nice. You might not like the scent of the 888 version though I believe it's the tea tree version it wasn't for me anyways.

45 3,955
 05-06-2012, 04:41 AM
User Info
(05-05-2012, 08:55 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote:

i don't use any. i do NOT like the burn i get.

i also fishing with RR Wax (as someone suggested above) most of the time, King Louis lately

8 2,718
 05-06-2012, 05:29 AM
User Info
(05-06-2012, 04:41 AM)brucered Wrote:
(05-05-2012, 08:10 PM)JonJones84 Wrote: I already have enough slickness with Tabac and D.R. Harris. Perhaps I should go back to using alcohol-based aftershaves. I do miss the burning and stinging...

i don't use any. i do NOT like the burn i get.

i also fishing with RR Wax (as someone suggested above) most of the time, King Louis lately

Can't beat RR wax, especially after the KL AS Splash.

9 1,199
 05-06-2012, 06:07 AM
User Info
(05-06-2012, 05:29 AM)CyanideMetal Wrote: Can't beat RR wax, especially after the KL AS Splash.

never tried the lotion, but i'm adding it to my next IB order when the TFS RR products are offered (i'm adding some of those ASB's as well)

8 2,718
 05-06-2012, 06:14 AM
User Info
RR wax isn't a lotion and leaves a flat finish like GFT skin food. If you use either one of these, you need to use very little.

21 1,475
 05-06-2012, 06:49 AM
User Info
1) We all have different skin types. (obviously)
2) Price doesn't dictate quality.
3) No product comes with a guarantee.

I can't recommend any products, only offer products that work for me.
I had issues with bumps that wouldn't go away, here is what works for me.
Proraso AS & AS lotion
Pre de Provence balm
Alt Innsbruck

I keep shaving as simple as possible.
No pre-shave or 'prep'
As few passes as possible--3 or under.
Cool water.

Not saying that this works for anyone else, but it works for me. You'll find what works for you eventually, unfortunately you need to try different things; which takes time and money.

Good luck

9 451
 05-06-2012, 09:25 AM
User Info
I agree with Johnny9. A couple of months ago I had a lot of trouble with razor rash and began cold water shaving. It works amazingly for me. Better skin. More comfort.

Also, few passes is right. I do 2 passes with my Weber or Futur and get a great BBS shave with a few touchups. If I get carried away with more passes, I'm in for trouble.

I like the Pre De Provence balm as well and it has an interesting scent that you may or may not like. I like it a lot.

21 1,475
 05-08-2012, 03:41 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
For me, Skin Food is a mediocre post shave product. It doesn't have enough skin soothing properties and I don't get enough moisture out of it after it dries. If my face is treated well by whatever soap/cream that I use, Skin Food obviously works better for me but still doesn't have enough of what I need post shave.

That said, it' my go to pre-shave. It shines in this regard and is now used prior to every shave. Another true YMMV episode.

6 905
 05-08-2012, 06:49 AM
User Info
As always, "Your Mileage May Vary!"

0 295
 05-08-2012, 08:30 AM
  • Nova316
  • Alberta, Canada
User Info
I've gotten a sample of skinfood and it seems to work, I'll have to keep trying it to make sure it does moisture enough. I do enjoy my SCS New spice AS tho. I'll update after I give it a week to see if its worth buying, since I have been on a search for a new AS anyways.

Also using it in a uberlather would be something I'd want to try as well

0 33
 05-08-2012, 10:11 AM
User Info

Designer aftershaves or aftershave cologne splashes. I've tried old spic recently, and didn't like the scent.

0 128
 05-09-2012, 05:09 PM
User Info
I find the GFT skin food works well. It really keeps my face moisturized and helps soothe after a too close shave. I live in a very humid area, so that might help. I agree that it is expensive, though. But, I don't have sensitive skin, either. YMMV.

0 33
 05-09-2012, 05:25 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I didn't care much for it. I sold it after 1 or 2 uses.

116 3,804