03-25-2014, 11:22 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
I'm just about tapped out on my Bucket List of things I need to try, but Santa Maria Novella is one that I still haven't checked off yet.
So I"m just wondering who's tried the new formula and can comment on the performance?
(description of scent is welcome as well Shy)

Thanks!

59 2,822
 03-26-2014, 12:24 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I too would be interested in this as I'm starting to get low on my original tub.

178 23,809
 03-26-2014, 01:29 AM
User Info
I've got the new scent. I picked it up last year directly from their shop in Florence.
The performance is the same, fantastic lather and cushioning. I was worried about the scent but absolutely love it. In fact I've still got some of the old scent left and haven't touched it.

I'd definitely recommend it. If you're near Green Park in London SMN have a store so you can check the scent there.

8 244
 03-26-2014, 01:39 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
That is good information to know. Thanks for the information.

178 23,809
 03-26-2014, 03:32 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(03-26-2014, 01:29 AM)jodypress Wrote: I've got the new scent. I picked it up last year directly from their shop in Florence.
The performance is the same, fantastic lather and cushioning. I was worried about the scent but absolutely love it. In fact I've still got some of the old scent left and haven't touched it.

I'd definitely recommend it. If you're near Green Park in London SMN have a store so you can check the scent there.

I'd have to disagree on this one. To me, this soap was THE disappointment of 2013.

The scent is quite uninteresting, and the performance is extremely weak IMHO, particularly taking into consideration its price.
The quality of the lather is the main problem, being very runny and never actually having the desired lather consistency, no matter how long you work at it. This makes for an weak cushioning, which paired with a just reasonable glide, makes this one of the worst bang for the buck shaving soaps that I know of.

Extremely surprised by these results, given some great online reviews, I even lent the soap to a couple of friends to see if their opinions differed from mine, but they arrived at exactly the same conclusion.

I don't know if there is a more recent formula than the one I have, but my soap was bought in November in the SMN store in Rome.

Of course, YMMV and all that, these are just my 2 cents.

26 4,928
 03-26-2014, 05:04 AM
User Info
(03-26-2014, 03:32 AM)TheMonk Wrote: I'd have to disagree on this one. To me, this soap was THE disappointment of 2013.

The scent is quite uninteresting, and the performance is extremely weak IMHO, particularly taking into consideration its price.
The quality of the lather is the main problem, being very runny and never actually having the desired lather consistency, no matter how long you work at it. This makes for an weak cushioning, which paired with a just reasonable glide, makes this one of the worst bang for the buck shaving soaps that I know of.

Extremely surprised by these results, given some great online reviews, I even lent the soap to a couple of friends to see if their opinions differed from mine, but they arrived at exactly the same conclusion.

I don't know if there is a more recent formula than the one I have, but my soap was bought in November in the SMN store in Rome.

Just a thought as I live in London which has quite hard water and I think Portugal's water is much softer. Do you think this might be why we get such polar opposites with our lathering results?
Scent is definitely a personal thing though.

As an aside Le Père Lucien soap is getting universal praise yet I'm not a fan of the scent and find the performance very disappointing.

8 244
 03-26-2014, 05:32 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(03-26-2014, 05:04 AM)jodypress Wrote:
(03-26-2014, 03:32 AM)TheMonk Wrote: I'd have to disagree on this one. To me, this soap was THE disappointment of 2013.

Just a thought as I live in London which has quite hard water and I think Portugal's water is much softer. Do you think this might be why we get such polar opposites with our lathering results?

As an aside Le Père Lucien soap is getting universal praise yet I'm not a fan of the scent and find the performance very disappointing.

I'm not sure water could make that much of a difference, particularly when I have no problem lathering any product. Smile

Scent is of course a very personal thing, and not even my complaint with the soap... The type of lather achievable is really my big issue with it.

Anyway, my soap has the following formula:

[Image: Creme_Santa_Maria_Novella_Composic_a_o.jpg]

Does it match yours?

Regarding LPL, my first attempt also didn't get very good results, as I was very conservative with the water still in the brush. Once I realized LPL was pretty much like most artisan soaps, one shake of the brush after soaking was enough to start lathering, and it did lather quite rapidly doing this. Have you tried this?
Also, the resulting lather is very good indeed. Where the LPL fails to excel, IMO, is in the glide. It's not bad at all, but it also isn't excellent, definitely not on par with MdC.

26 4,928
 03-26-2014, 06:04 AM
User Info
I'll take a pic of the ingredients when I get home and compare.

Re: water hardness it will definitely make a difference but only if I was to lather at home and then lather with same brush and product abroad.
In your case you're water is consistent, so maybe SMN changed the ingredients and that might be affected by the water hardness.

That's what I love about this hobby/passion of ours. Mileage on software/hardware really does vary.
And just to show off some Italian Shaving pron

[Image: IMAG0086_zpse3c01da7.jpg]

8 244
 03-26-2014, 06:09 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(03-26-2014, 06:04 AM)jodypress Wrote: I'll take a pic of the ingredients when I get home and compare.

Re: water hardness it will definitely make a difference but only if I was to lather at home and then lather with same brush and product abroad.
In your case you're water is consistent, so maybe SMN changed the ingredients and that might be affected by the water hardness.

That's what I love about this hobby/passion of ours. Mileage on software/hardware really does vary.
And just to show off some Italian Shaving pron

[Image: IMAG0086_zpse3c01da7.jpg]

Very nice stuff, that Mastro Livi is impressive!
I have yet to try SMN's Lotion or Balm, but I've heard really good things. I must say my disappointment with the soap made it harder for me to try their other products.

Also, try the method I stated above for the LPL, and let me know how it worked for you. Wink

26 4,928
 03-26-2014, 08:59 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The old formula lathers wonderfully for me and the scent is great.

I haven't tried the new...

99 18,011
 03-26-2014, 10:59 AM
User Info
Wow, Jody! That is a magnificent Livi! Smile

83 21,077
 03-26-2014, 12:54 PM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
I was given a sample of SMN cream last summer and had several superb shaves with it. The cream performed well in all regards and it became the number one item to acquire on a trip to NYC I planned for the year end. I made it to SMN Lafco on Lafayette St, just around the corner from Min NY, late in December. Between the two shops I stocked up on shaving goods and a new straight.

The big problem with the new SMN formula is I am drawn to it over my other favourites in a large collection of creams and soaps. I highly recommend it and their bath soaps and colognes. As opportunities arise I have been trying additional SMN products and have yet to be disappointed.

As always, YMMV, but I think few gents would be disappointed by this product line.

[Image: shSiWDQ.jpg]

0 631
 03-26-2014, 12:59 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
Thanks for the replies!
Monk, I read your thoughts about the new SMN in another thread, and that's why I decided to start this one.
I am hoping that others have the same results, so I don't have to keep it on my Bucket List!
Wink

(03-26-2014, 12:54 PM)u2u Wrote: The big problem with the new SMN formula is I am drawn to it over my other favourites in a large collection of creams and soaps. I highly recommend it and their bath soaps and colognes. As opportunities arise I have been trying additional SMN products and have yet to be disappointed.

As always, YMMV, but I think few gents would be disappointed by this product line.

Arghhhh!!!

59 2,822
 03-26-2014, 02:14 PM
User Info
Love the OLD.... love the NEW

19 775
 03-26-2014, 03:58 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I need stop reading this and the AdP thread...I really don't feel like spending $70+ on a shave cream right now Tongue

34 1,628
 03-26-2014, 04:05 PM
  • Csd3
  • Denver, Co
User Info
+1 I dont get the LPL scent either. To me it's herbal in an odd way.
(03-26-2014, 05:04 AM)jodypress Wrote:

7 325
 03-26-2014, 04:19 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(03-26-2014, 03:58 PM)Giorgio Wrote: I need stop reading this and the AdP thread...I really don't feel like spending $70+ on a shave cream right now Tongue

I wish some people would take a leap of faith and get the new AdP :-)
It is really wonderful performance!

Anyway, more reports on the new SMN, anybody?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

59 2,822
 03-26-2014, 04:45 PM
User Info
Speaking of expensive great soaps, I was mainly using MdC Fougere until discovering simple little LaToja stick

19 775
 03-27-2014, 09:08 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(03-26-2014, 04:45 PM)minimalist Wrote: Speaking of expensive great soaps, I was mainly using MdC Fougere until discovering simple little LaToja stick

Please don't take this the wrong way, but when you say that, it reassures me of my opinion of the SMN. Do you feel MdC and the La Toja stick have the same performance? Tongue

26 4,928
 03-27-2014, 09:48 AM
User Info
There is just somethng special about the La Toja

19 775