03-26-2014, 12:37 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
International postal charges from the UK rise 31 March. International Tracked costs are already very expensive, often more costly than the price of the item.

Has anyone experience with having items sent to them via 'Small Packages' without tracking, and were there any problems? I live in Australia.

0 1,732
 03-26-2014, 12:53 AM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
Shipping from the UK (and within the UK) used to be really straight forward Shaun.

It's now something of a nightmare as it's not only based upon weight put also parcel size.

I've had a few problems with tracked mail taking an age to arrive in the past, but at least Royal Mail could tell me where the package was at any given stage, and I could then pass this information onto the buyer. Thankfully, everything has always been successfully delivered.

Sending un-tracked mail abroad is just not an option IMHO - it just adds extra potential headaches into the equation if items do not arrive within the estimated time.

33 645
 03-26-2014, 05:40 AM
User Info
(03-26-2014, 12:37 AM)Shaun Wrote: International postal charges from the UK rise 31 March. International Tracked costs are already very expensive, often more costly than the price of the item.

Has anyone experience with having items sent to them via 'Small Packages' without tracking, and were there any problems? I live in Australia.
I have ordered many items from the UK without tracking, never a problem but you need to patient as shipping times can vary tracked or untracked.

24 227
 03-26-2014, 06:58 AM
User Info
I have never had any item go astray shipping Internationally using the "Small Packet" option. That said, there were a couple of occasions when expected delivery time was way exceeded and panic set in.
These days, if sending something of significant value, I prefer to use the Airsure tracking option(name changing shortly). It is more expensive but on valuable goods, the extra security is worth it, IMO. Furthermore, delivery times are significantly cut. Without mentioning names, over a year ago I sent a straight razor to California using the Small Packet option. delivery took an unbelievable 3 weeks! Not so long ago, I sent that same member another item using Airsure, and it arrived in an incredible 3 days.
I totally trust the untracked option from Royal Mail. It really just comes down to peace of mind.

31 5,279
 03-26-2014, 09:44 AM
User Info
I ordered a lot from connaught and shaving.ie, always opting for the most basic shipping method and packages used to arrive in California within less than two weeks.

6 808
 03-26-2014, 02:36 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Thanks for the contributions to the thread, chaps. With a price-hike looming, I daresay we'll also see a spike in the use of the Small Packages option. Tracking options are excessively costly already.

0 1,732
 03-30-2014, 03:34 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
So far I've not had a problem posting untracked from or to the UK. Delivery time for a small packet untracked from the UK to Canada is normally 5 business days. Compare this with nearly 2 weeks to receive a small packet from the USA to Canada via first class airmail, untracked; tracked international priority mail USA to Canada takes a full 2 weeks, as it attracts the attention of Canada Customs whereas first class airmail doesn't. I've been impressed with the quality of the service and cost of the Royal Mail, even though the CEO, Moya Green, was previously the CEO of Canada Post.

5 882
 03-30-2014, 04:31 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(03-30-2014, 03:34 AM)Rufus Wrote: So far I've not had a problem posting untracked from or to the UK. Delivery time for a small packet untracked from the UK to Canada is normally 5 business days. Compare this with nearly 2 weeks to receive a small packet from the USA to Canada via first class airmail, untracked; tracked international priority mail USA to Canada takes a full 2 weeks, as it attracts the attention of Canada Customs whereas first class airmail doesn't. I've been impressed with the quality of the service and cost of the Royal Mail, even though the CEO, Moya Green, was previously the CEO of Canada Post.

Interesting post. I might ask vendors and sellers to use the 'small packages' option from here on. I rather suspect thousands of others will follow suit.

0 1,732
 03-30-2014, 04:41 AM
User Info
I have had many orders from Connaought Shaving without a problem and the prices seemed reasonable.

119 13,015
 03-30-2014, 06:49 AM
User Info
I bought more than one Ever Ready Streamline from UK without any problems. The Streamline is expensive, so the shipping charges are a small percentage of the total price. Connaught shaving is great for prices and shipping for razor blades.

0 67