03-27-2014, 05:07 AM
User Info
I have been DE shaving for 5 months now, and well, just have developed a serious case of RAD.
While searching for a second razor I came across the SS offerings, and if the financial benefit wasn't out the door before this it definitly was now. It has become a hobby as much as looking forward to the daily grooming, so I don't mind spending some cash on these products.

Two weeks ago I received my 5 piece Atlas from ATT.
Before this ATT set I had only shaved with a Bluebeards Revenge Scimitar (so please consider that I do not have the much of a reference to go on).
I was on a business trip to Dallas and had Stan (from ATT) ship the razor to the hotel I was staying at.
I spent a lot of time reading reviews on this forum before my purchase, and one of the decisive factors was this thread by Tom.
Stainless Steel shootout

I was pretty sure that the M1 plate would be my prefered, but I figured I would buy the 5 peice set so I could really try the different plates.
I was 95% certain that the ATT Atlas was going to be my next acquisition, but just needed some final input.So I sent some really stupid questions to Stan at ATT (yes, I was aware of how stupid they where before I sent), but Stan answered politely and gave me the peace of mind I was looking for. Thank you Stan for your patience with me.

My first Atlas shave was with the M1 plate and a Personna red blade, it was a good shave with just a singel weeper. Second shave was with the R1 plate, and the Personna blade. Both of these shaves were good, and really good for learning the Atlas, but still leaving room for improvement.
Third shave I used the R1 plate with an Astra blade, did a 3-pass shave feeling confident that I had the technique right (WTG/XTG/ATG), and got the best shave of my life. From my limited time of DE shaving I have managed to learn that the blade choice has a big impact, and the change to the Astra blade blew me away.
BBS achived, I was stoked!
This was only my 3rd attempt att an ATG pass (on the right side of my neck, where the hairs grow in a different direction and is really sensitive), and it did leave some irritation (whereas my previous two attempts ATG left a war zone).
Been using the Atlas for an additional week now and I have been focusing on the M1 plate, trying different blades (so far concluding that the Astra blade works best for me with the M1).

Today I decided that I would go all out with the M1, so I did a meticulous preshave prep (soaked, lathered up, rinsed and lathered up again) and then went for a full 3 pass.
First pass (WTG), carefull strokes paying attention to detail.
Second pass (XTG), going at it quickly experimenting a little with pressure (testing a half-awake rush morning shave).
Third pass (ATG), really flying through it until I come to the right side of my neck, slowing down here and carefully tring it out. No worries, no irritation, nothing.
At this point I'm feeling quite confident so I gave blade buffing a go for the spots that still had some stubble. Didn't matter what I did, no irritation or weepers.
My second BBS ever achieved!

I already know that I like the R1 plate, having tested it a few times, the coming days I will however be trying it out more thoroughly with different blades. From my initial experience I beleive the M plate will be my daily morning shave (quick before work shave) and the R plate will be the weekend spend-some-time-for-a-BBS shave (but as mentioned above, no problem for me to achieve a BBS with the M plate).
Initially I thought the H1 was really scary, but after trying the R1 I'm not so intimidated any more (I will however spend a few days on "mastering" the R plate before I give the H1 a go).

The knurrling on the Atlas handle is extremly nice to hold and both the M1/R1 plates are easy and "smooth" to use (keep in mind my lack of reference).
The workmanship on the razor is impecable, and has an extremly nice weight to it.
Right now my only regret is that I didn't get the 7 piece set (I will probably need to order the Kronos handle soon, to give it a try).

Sorry about the bad lighting, and focus...
[Image: K7cT6To.jpg]

[Image: PpG1TlS.jpg]

[Image: ydDYOOJ.jpg]

Will this calm my RAD? No, I don't think anything will ever calm my RAD.
If this was the only razor in the world (appart from cartridge blades) I would be an extremly happy man, and never think I needed to try anything else. However that is not the case, so I know already today that I will add at least a couple more razers to my den.

0 21
 03-27-2014, 05:16 AM
User Info
I've enjoyed my 5 pc set. Going in I was certain I would like the M1 and tolerate the R1. In my case I love the R1 and like the H1. In fact, I exchanged the M1 for a cap.

Enjoy the journey!

6 358
 03-27-2014, 07:04 AM
User Info
Congratulations on the success with the Atlas set! Smile

83 21,077
 03-27-2014, 07:29 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
Nice review and thoughts, I have the Kronos as well and wanting to add a Atlas as I'm really taken with the knurling pattern on it.

Great to hear it was a positive experience, I noticed blade selection dictates the shave quality more so as well, Astra is my preferred right now as well, tried a Feather blade and whoooo it was close shave off a R2. Thinking of adding a M1/M2 combination or maybe give the Kronos away and get the 7 piece as well Tongue

question yours is a recent order what year was the stamping on the base plate?

35 1,329
 03-27-2014, 09:26 AM
User Info
My plates are all stamped 2014. Received 3 weeks ago.

6 358
 03-27-2014, 09:27 AM
User Info
Nice review! I bought the pieces little by little, started from an R1 atlas, added an R2, and now ordered the other handle Smile

Sent using Tapatalk!

3 82
 03-27-2014, 11:44 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Thanks for a great review. Smile

2 11,211
 03-27-2014, 01:09 PM
User Info
Nice review, I wish that I would have bought the set when I purchased my ATT, but I bought the ATT Kronos M1 & M2 razors.....Both very well built and shave great.

10 399
 03-27-2014, 01:13 PM
User Info
(03-27-2014, 07:29 AM)refles Wrote: Nice review and thoughts, I have the Kronos as well and wanting to add a Atlas as I'm really taken with the knurling pattern on it.

Great to hear it was a positive experience, I noticed blade selection dictates the shave quality more so as well, Astra is my preferred right now as well, tried a Feather blade and whoooo it was close shave off a R2. Thinking of adding a M1/M2 combination or maybe give the Kronos away and get the 7 piece as well Tongue

question yours is a recent order what year was the stamping on the base plate?

I really like the Atlas handle, but considering that I can really put pressure on the razor (with the M plate) I would like to see how it shaves with the longer handle.
I have a feeling that Kronos handle with the M plate would work very well, for me.

My base plates are from 2014, all three.

0 21
 03-27-2014, 07:52 PM
User Info
Congrats on your Atlas 5 piece Pripps, and thanks for the write up.

I've had mine just shy of a month, my heads are 2013 heads. I am sure no difference. I love shaving with this razor, and hardly think of using another sitting on the counter.

About your need for pressure with the M plate. You are probably not skin stretching. If you stretch your skin, any of the ATT heads will slice the hair at the skin. That worked better for me than changing to a more aggressive angle or using pressure.

Enjoy your shaves, and thanks again for the write up!

18 194
 03-27-2014, 10:36 PM
User Info
Quote: davidsilva

RE: ATT Atlas 5 piece
Congrats on your Atlas 5 piece Pripps, and thanks for the write up.

I've had mine just shy of a month, my heads are 2013 heads. I am sure no difference. I love shaving with this razor, and hardly think of using another sitting on the counter.

About your need for pressure with the M plate. You are probably not skin stretching. If you stretch your skin, any of the ATT heads will slice the hair at the skin. That worked better for me than changing to a more aggressive angle or using pressure.

Enjoy your shaves, and thanks again for the write up!

Sorry for being unclear.
I don't need to put pressure when using the Atlas M, but it doesn't have any negative impact if I do. This razor manages the abuse (and for early morning, half-asleep, shaves this can often be the case).
I expect that the longer Kronos will increase the natural pressure, and I'm interested in knowing how that will impact.

0 21
 04-02-2014, 03:21 AM
User Info
R1 plate and H1 plate shaves

Been using the Atlas R1 now for almost a week, and thought I would conclude my view on it here.
During my first few shaves with the Atlas the R1 overwelmed me (only positive), and it has continued to be really good. It does however still cause some irritaion on the right side of my neck when I go ATG (I have very sensitive skin, espeacially on my neck).
Trying a few different blades with the R1 the last days and even though it is great, I have simply realized that for me it doesn't match the M1.
The R1 is a great tool, its easy to use and feels great to shave with.
But with that said, the M1 is for me.

This morning I gave the H1 a go. I "knew" before I started that this wasn't going to be my favorite, but since I have it I felt that I at least need to give it a try. As you probably understand I'm not giving my H1 a fair chance to receive an unbiased verdict (my mind was already set on it not being for me).
Anyway, I loaded a Derby Extra blade (to sort of make it less intimidating) and did a two pass (WTG/XTG).
I performed the shave at 5am with a normal prep (thus not showing so much respect to the beast).
I am really glad that I tried the H1, so that I fully understand what an aggressive razor is. You can truly feel how much of the blade that is exposed.
No nicks or cuts but some irritation on my neck, that sort of was enough to close the door for me on this plate.
If I would do a "weekend prep" I am fairly certain that I could get a non irritating 2 pass shave, but I don't see any possibility for me to go ATG with this.

Before even trying the H1 I emailed Stan at ATT and asked how the OC versions were in comparisson. With my experience of the M1 and R1 he recommended that I try the M2.
So I am now sending back the R1 and H1 plates, swapping them for an M2 plate and a cap (plus I am buying a Kronos handle, that I want to try anyway).
The service from ATT is superb!

My 5 peice Atlas will now become an Atlas M1 and a Kronos M2. Smile

The ATT is a pricy razor, but considering all aspects to me it's well worth it.

0 21
 04-02-2014, 04:26 AM
User Info
Hard to find just the right fit without having all three base plates. Glad you found the head that works for you.

Be sure to let us know how you like the M2 vs the R1 & M1.

6 358
 04-02-2014, 04:40 AM
User Info
(04-02-2014, 04:26 AM)Aimless1 Wrote: Hard to find just the right fit without having all three base plates. Glad you found the head that works for you.

Be sure to let us know how you like the M2 vs the R1 & M1.

Will sure do

0 21
 04-02-2014, 05:52 AM
User Info
I received my M1 set up a couple of weeks ago and the shaves have been great. But of course your mind wanders and you start thinking what other base plates would be like. I have an iKon OC and love it so don't see the point of adding an OC baseplate. Have thought about trying the R1. My guess is that it would be okay until I got to my neck. At this point I am just going to stick with the M1 until I feel I need something more aggressive.

44 486