03-27-2014, 07:45 AM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
I know the box is legit but I'm not used to this imprint. Any ideas?

http://bit.ly/1o4qO0z

The guy has a bunch of them. Also I know eBay stuff isn't allowed but I think BIN is okay. Delete if otherwise.

58 1,312
 03-27-2014, 08:19 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Those appear to be Somerset brushes, I can't authenticate them but they look pretty genuine to me.

139 2,676
 03-27-2014, 08:23 AM
User Info
this is an old Sommerset simpson yes Exclamation

14 250
 03-27-2014, 08:32 AM
User Info
I think the reason the OP is asking this is because it seems that a bunch of these have come onto eBay at the same time. They look the same and have the same presentation.

This is pure conjecture, but I wonder if the winner of that famed "lot" of Simpsons a few weeks ago is putting some of them up for auction?

84 1,505
 03-27-2014, 08:43 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(03-27-2014, 07:45 AM)Lutebro Wrote: I know the box is legit but I'm not used to this imprint. Any ideas?

http://bit.ly/1o4qO0z

The guy has a bunch of them. Also I know eBay stuff isn't allowed but I think BIN is okay. Delete if otherwise.

Buy it Now is okay. I've added the pictures.

[Image: EFilqIy.jpg] [Image: pi9Px9F.jpg]

175 23,752
 03-27-2014, 08:47 AM
  • Manning
  • Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
User Info
(03-27-2014, 08:32 AM)jpakstis Wrote: I think the reason the OP is asking this is because it seems that a bunch of these have come onto eBay at the same time. They look the same and have the same presentation.

This is pure conjecture, but I wonder if the winner of that famed "lot" of Simpsons a few weeks ago is putting some of them up for auction?

I was wondering the same thing, but they appear to be different models.

13 129
 03-27-2014, 09:08 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
some of these brushes that this guy listed are interesting.
So most Sommerset don't have sticker/graphic on them?

35 1,329
 03-27-2014, 09:34 AM
User Info
(03-27-2014, 08:47 AM)Manning Wrote: I was wondering the same thing, but they appear to be different models.

Well, that ends my speculation! Those are nice looking brushes.

(03-27-2014, 09:08 AM)refles Wrote: So most Sommerset don't have sticker/graphic on them?

I don't know. I've seen lots of Simpson brushes from either the Somerset/David Carter eras that have the stickers still attached.

I know this is veering off-topic, but I always wondered if the stickers were meant to stay on the brushes? After all the two things the stickers declare are that the brush was sterilized before shipping and that they were made in England. Those don't seem to be two facts that forever need to be declared, unlike the manufacturer, the brush name, and the model number. So I wonder if many Simpson's owners just peeled them off when they got them?

84 1,505
 03-27-2014, 09:39 AM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
(03-27-2014, 09:08 AM)refles Wrote: some of these brushes that this guy listed are interesting.
So most Sommerset don't have sticker/graphic on them?

Exactly, the pre Vulfix Simpson's have what's called "lamp blacking"...most do have stickers though, as they were indeed sold w/stickers originally during the both the Somerset and "Carter" Era's.

4 794
 03-27-2014, 10:46 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
That Emperor is the one to get. wow.

7 2,279
 03-27-2014, 02:32 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
(03-27-2014, 09:39 AM)LORDBISHOP Wrote: Exactly, the pre Vulfix Simpson's have what's called "lamp blacking"...most do have stickers though, as they were indeed sold w/stickers originally during the both the Somerset and "Carter" Era's.

I've seen that term used before, is it still engraved just that the ink used seems to be almost stenciled over the engraving thus the odd looking almost 'block-ish' brush name/model is displayed?

(03-27-2014, 09:34 AM)jpakstis Wrote: I know this is veering off-topic, but I always wondered if the stickers were meant to stay on the brushes? After all the two things the stickers declare are that the brush was sterilized before shipping and that they were made in England. Those don't seem to be two facts that forever need to be declared, unlike the manufacturer, the brush name, and the model number. So I wonder if many Simpson's owners just peeled them off when they got them?

my sticker to a Simpson brush I had wasn't really applied cleanly so it was almost folded in some areas and eventually water made its way into that spot and other wrinkle areas of the sticker.. long story short.. didn't look too good so I took it off as it was a bit unsightly.
From what I can tell, those stickers on the current model uses a very strong adhesive, it leaves a gummy residue (goo gone had to sit a while before it came off)

oooh noticed the Emperor is gone! Hope it was a good price to a forum member so we get pictures! Angel

35 1,329
 03-27-2014, 03:08 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
They are not engraved like the current Isle of Man brushes are. The metal stamp had what I understand to be something like soot from burning paraffin applied to it, and the "loaded" stamp was whacked onto the handle. The original water sticker was applied to cover the Simpson on the handle. The Somerset stickers did not remain attached with the same tenacity as the current stickers.

0 1,137
 03-27-2014, 04:05 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
Thank you Bob, that was really enlightening as I've seen them for quite a while but never understood their uniqueness... makes sense.. "lamp blankening" .. some soot like ash.. wow that's amazing.

35 1,329