03-27-2014, 10:59 AM
User Info
I'm thinking of buying a Captains Choice lather bowl. I'm currently using a stainless lather bowl but I'm not very impressed with its results. I like the fact that Captains bowls have ridges in them to aid in producing the lather. Any testimonials or thoughts?
Huh

6 589
 03-27-2014, 11:50 AM
User Info
i cannot answer your question - but there should be a penalty for making shaving soap holders without a couple of studs at bottom to prevent soap from swirling around Angry

7 1,624
 03-27-2014, 12:12 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
If you use a cream you do not need ridges or swirls to make lather...If you use soap all you need is a bowl the same size diameter as the soap...that is what keeps it from moving around...soap is soft enough to press fit it into almost any bowl...if fact you can leave it in the one it came with and then build your lather in a larger bowl that you like ...metal,pottery or whatever.

6 1,994
 03-27-2014, 12:14 PM
User Info
I like it. I'm still trying to decide if I prefer the WCS hand-thrown lather bowl over. What I like on the Captain's bowl are the ergonomics: it fits nicely in the palm of my hand and the logo on the side is really a thumb rest that makes it easy to grip. The WCS bowl is bigger and heavier but that also means it retains more heat. If I preheat it well with hot water my lather will still be somewhat warm at the end of the shave. Aesthetically it's no contest. I have the Captain's bowl in teal and it looks fantastic on my counter. Growing up where I did I tend to associate hand-made pottery with aging hippies that are still stuck in the 1960s. The CC bowl avoids that vibe and has modern and elegant look.

15 771
 03-27-2014, 02:43 PM
  • Stubbl E
  • Lake Tahoe, California
User Info
I don't have either the captain's choice or the WCS, but I do have a standard suribachi bowl that's about 5 1/2 inches diameter and fits easily in my palm. The unglazed ridges inside the bowl work well for making lather and don't really seem to be at all harsh on my bristles. Just my tuppence of course, but I found mine at the local Goodwill outlet for a dollar. Wink

I also have a couple wood bowls of a similar size but without any ridges or swirls or texture inside the bowl, and they work perfectly fine as well.

0 567
 03-27-2014, 02:50 PM
User Info
(03-27-2014, 12:12 PM)Harvey Wrote: If you use a cream you do not need ridges or swirls to make lather...If you use soap all you need is a bowl the same size diameter as the soap...that is what keeps it from moving around...soap is soft enough to press fit it into almost any bowl...if fact you can leave it in the one it came with and then build your lather in a larger bowl that you like ...metal,pottery or whatever.

no way! it must be because i live towards the northpole - some reaction from aurora polaris Dodgy

7 1,624
 03-27-2014, 06:42 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
[Image: 003640x411.jpg]

Don't own a Captain's choice but in my lather bowl the ridges seem to aid the shaving cream lather making, in terms of ease . If a bowl is used for a soft soap like Italian croaps, ridges aren't necessary at all.

My problem with the bowls available was size , they are all quite small and shallow. I asked Ansgar at Schwarzweisskeramik to make me a large lather bowl from one of his existing types and he made a quite large one suitable for larger brushes.

I'm with Marius on a soap holder in the bottom of a mug. My favorite mug is a vintage barber's mug, The Champion, pictured. It has a receptacle for the soap puck, the Marvy Green Rubber barber's mug that many of us have has the same.

Barber's mugs are larger and steeper than home use mugs and I found they all have either a ring or three small poles to hold the soap in place. They were made so I think to accommodate large boar brushes and to allow the barber to generate a thick shaving lather in the mug as opposed to face lathering the client.

15 541
 03-28-2014, 01:35 AM
User Info
I have an Aesop stainless bowl and its the bees knees!

1 167
 03-28-2014, 05:57 AM
User Info
Thanks for the feedback. Guess I have no choice now but to get one. My wifes gonna love it, more shaving accessories. Angel

6 589
 03-28-2014, 05:10 PM
User Info
[Image: IMG_20140328_154258_009.jpg]
I just took delivery of this CC shaving bowl. I have to learn how to make lather that is not light and airy. My first attempt was not too good. Time to go play with some soap!

3 93
 03-28-2014, 05:51 PM
User Info
(03-28-2014, 05:10 PM)countrydirt Wrote: [Image: IMG_20140328_154258_009.jpg]
I just took delivery of this CC shaving bowl. I have to learn how to make lather that is not light and airy. My first attempt was not too good. Time to go play with some soap!

NICE! That's the exact same bowl I'm threatening to buy. Thumbup

6 589
 03-28-2014, 05:54 PM
User Info
It fits in the hand very nicely @captain caveman. I've been a face latherer for my short time of DE shaving, so the techniques for getting a slick lather are under development in my den.

3 93
 03-28-2014, 06:02 PM
User Info
All soaps lather differently to some extent. Also a well broken-in brush makes a big difference. I find that face lathering works best for me as well with soap. Lathering shave cream takes a bowel and this one really catches my eye.

6 589
 03-28-2014, 06:11 PM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
(03-28-2014, 05:10 PM)countrydirt Wrote: [Image: IMG_20140328_154258_009.jpg]

I have that same brush, and I want the same bowl. Greasy minds think alike!

58 1,312
 03-29-2014, 02:00 PM
User Info
Completed my 3rd lather with this bowl. More product, less pressure on the bristles and add water as it develops. Soon I had lather almost as good as when I face lather. Still gonna keep playing around with it.

3 93