03-28-2014, 09:00 AM
User Info
I recently had an opportunity to use the original formula Art of Shaving lavender soap. It was the first soap that I've used in a long time that lived up to the hype. I actually like the new formula and consider it to be a notch above the Volabra puck so I was expecting to be disappointed. It really is a pity that the soap is no longer in production.

0 68
 03-28-2014, 09:15 AM
User Info
I bought some of their tallow-based shave soaps and then changed my mind and re-sold them. I sort of regret it now, because I never tried them, although I still have other vintage tallow soaps. Apparently the lavender one is the most popular of the AOS.

206 12,189
 03-28-2014, 09:46 AM
User Info
How is the scent on the new AoS soaps? I tried the lemon tallow version and while the performance was awesome, it didn't really smell like lemon (just had the clay-earthy scent that Valobra is known for). This was a big disappointment for me since I expect something with a lemon scent to actually smell like lemon.

15 222
 03-28-2014, 12:56 PM
User Info
I've only used the Lavender scented version of the tallow-based soap but I can say the scent was fairly weak. As for the new formula, I've only used the sandalwood and I would say the scent is fantastic and very much like the old formula (which I've never used and only smelled) except I don't get any clay smell at all.

0 68
 03-28-2014, 01:20 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
I stocked up on the tallow when I got a chance (mostly lavender), and have used up a few pucks in the past. It truly was the best, IMO, before it was reformulated. I haven't used the new Valobras, and the old AoS was lightly scented with the clay scent. The C&S soaps (also made by Valobra) are more strongly scented, don't have the clay smell, and are more strongly scented. Oxford & Cambridge may be the best soap scent you can get today.

0 1,137
 03-28-2014, 03:23 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
My favorite commercially made soaps, by far, are the Valobra Shave Stick and the Valobra-made Art of Shaving/AoS. The one cake of lavender-scented AoS (by Valobra) that I used was very strongly scented.

By the way, there is no clay in Valobra shaving soap. That is just a simile that some have used to describe aspects of the soap's natural smell. It has also been likened to wet cardboard. Either way, as long as there is no fragrance to burn my olfactory, a slight clay/wet cardboard smell is not a problem for me.

- Murray

4 1,150
 03-28-2014, 10:56 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
I have become a staunch supporter of AoS products, even though when I first started wet-shaving I tried to avoid AoS for some reason… the storefront didn't rub me right (initially) or they weren't "historic" enough, or whatever the prejudiced excuse was.

However, EVERY SINGLE product I have used (starting with their unscented sampler kit, and since (of various scents, when available): SCs, SSs, ASBs, pre-shave oils, aftershave mask, moisturizer, hair gel, shampoo, conditioner, face wash, face scrub, hmm am I missing anything?), whether an old formulation or a brand new formulation, every single product I have used carrying an AoS logo has been world class performance and quality.

To me, the new and old AoS soaps perform just as well. (I am Italian, and take pride in the fact that Valobra made the wonderful tallow AoS soaps… but honestly, these new AoS soaps are truly wonderful performers… and at this point I'm equally ecstatic about both versions. (YMMV. but you need to try it first Biggrin)

Here's my take on the scents:

Unscented tallow: clay
Unscented new: pretty similar actually, just less clay
My scent preference: the tallow, just smells more natural to me

Lavender tallow: light and soft lavender
Lavender new: a little sharper and stronger
My scent preference: basically, a tie… but if you made me choose: tallow, because it's more dreamy

Sandalwood tallow: sweet and soft/creamy (not very woody)… almost reminds me of "horchata" (the kinda creamy cinnamon flavored soft drink from Mexico, I believe)
Sandalwood new: stronger, masculine, sharper, more woody (and not creamy, thank God)
My scent preference: the new, by far (!!!!)… kinda annoyed how much effort I spent finding the sandalwood in tallow.

Lemon tallow: (IMO) nearly scentless… and I mean I can barely even smell the clay that I smell in the unscented… like the lemon and clay scents cancel each other out, and there's basically no scent left.
Lemon new: (sorry, I don't own this one, but I know I've smelled it in the store and I think my experience is the same exact as for the tallow)
Simply put, the Lemon is my least favorite scent line they offer… not to mention, we shouldn't be putting lemon oil on our skin.

57 2,545
 03-29-2014, 07:40 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
It seems that the only tallow version one can still find is the lemon. I've found a few available but nothing else.
I look for tallow, lanolin and/or shea butter(i.e. PdP) when picking up a soap. Any single ingredient is great, a combination of two is better and I've yet to find one with the hat trick. But I look.

7 2,279
 03-29-2014, 09:07 AM
User Info
@Matt: thank you for the synopsis, it was very helpful!

15 222
 03-29-2014, 09:36 AM
User Info
I've used the old AoS tallow pucks and the C&S Oxford & Cambridge soap. Despite all being made by Valobra, I have always been of the opinion that the Valobra named soaps (be it the stick or the latest 4 pucks) have an edge in performance, especially in post shave feel. Whether the ingredients have been tweaked in proportion to differentiate between their own soaps and those they make/made for others, I do not know, but I certainly notice a difference.

31 5,279
 03-29-2014, 10:16 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(03-29-2014, 09:36 AM)Optometrist Wrote: I've used the old AoS tallow pucks and the C&S Oxford & Cambridge soap. Despite all being made by Valobra, I have always been of the opinion that the Valobra named soaps (be it the stick or the latest 4 pucks) have an edge in performance, especially in post shave feel. Whether the ingredients have been tweaked in proportion to differentiate between their own soaps and those they make/made for others, I do not know, but I certainly notice a difference.

Well, I'm willing to investigate further Biggrin

I now all have the tools: the 3 scented Valobra pucks, the Valobra stick, AoS tallow (all 4 scents, though I don't use lemon any more), and C&S (both scents).

(03-29-2014, 09:07 AM)reyrascon Wrote: @Matt: thank you for the synopsis, it was very helpful!

My pleasure Cool

57 2,545