03-28-2014, 09:28 AM
User Info
Is there such a thing as a single edge style razor that uses a double edge blade??

Might prove to be an interesting razor

4 952
 03-28-2014, 12:14 PM
User Info
That seems to be the worst of both worlds. At least to me, the appeal of the SE (both a GEM type or an injector type) is that it is a heavier, thicker blade. The appeal of a DE is that you can use both sides, saving time. If you had a razor that uses thinner DE blades but only uses one side, it would seem to run contrary to each type's appeal.

Besides if you want to approximate an SE with a DE razor, just use one side.

- Josh -

84 1,505
 03-28-2014, 12:43 PM
User Info
There is a way to use a spine from a SE blade and put it onto a DE blade. It turned the spine into an adapter to be reused over and over. Don't ask me how to do it. I ran across it and promptly forgot the technique for exactly the reasons stated by Josh. I think the DE blade got broken into 2 halves, nothing I care to try with a fresh blade. Too, lots of SE razors have springs in the back that push the blade forward. There's no way I wanted to do anything to compromise those springs.

Michael, it's not exactly your idea, but an injector might be somewhat the razor you're looking for. It still retains the stiff blade also.

32 6,459
 03-28-2014, 06:53 PM
User Info
[quote='ShadowsDad' pid='369392' dateline='1396039398'
Michael, it's not exactly your idea, but an injector might be somewhat the razor you're looking for. It still retains the stiff blade also.
[/quote]

Just something I was curious about since there have been so many different razor ideas put forth.

As for injectors, I've spent time/money and gotten nowhere with them. It seems there are no good injector shaves for me. Maybe a socially acceptable one but never even close to what I can get with a DE or SE.

Think I need to get rid of the ones I have since they are not being used any more. Time for a BST entry I think

4 952
 03-28-2014, 08:06 PM
User Info
Yeah, they're not my cup of tea either. I just thought I'd mention them.

Not an injector, but the Cobra is by far the best of the "1/2 blade" razors I've ever used. Frankly it's an awesome razor, but I just can't justify the price of admission since the shave is great, but no better than what I get from gear I already have.

32 6,459