05-06-2012, 10:57 AM
  • Notary
  • Montreal, Quebec
User Info
Hello to all. I would like to mention that I have only been using a DE razor for several months now and I am still in the process of finding the right mix between razor, blade, technique and any combination thereof. However, I was always a wet shaver, in the sense that I always used a brush and lather. My wife of 15 years can attest to my wet shaving methods, especially the lather residue remaining in the sink and the splashes all over the stainless bathroom fixtures and mirror. How many guys have experienced the same grief from their significant other? Lol.

I have very sensitive skin and a mild case of rosacea, as such the mass marketed shaving creams in the aerosol containers were products that did not agree with me. My face was always irritated, especially the cheek bone area under the eyes, after their use. I have nothing against the mass marketed, specially priced (usually available on special for a couple of bucks) products, but let it be known that they do not work for everyone. Consequently, my wet shaving regiment consisted of applying a few drops of olive oil over my face, letting the skin absorb it for a few minutes, and lathering up with a glycerin based facial soap, using a best badger Edwin Jagger brush, purchased from Crabtree and Evelyn. I found the method to be effective for two reasons: first it offered the least irritating shave as far as my skin was concerned and second, it struck the perfect balance between adherence of the lather to the face versus the blade’s capacity to glide over the skin, without clogging. By the way, the brush is another variable to be discussed at a later date, but for today my focus is the shaving cream and more specifically the importance of using a good quality product from a reputable maker.

By coincidence I was walking through the mall a few weeks ago, looking for stuff to acquire and add to my new DE shaving arsenal. I walked in the body shop and the lovely
Sales associate convinced me to purchase the Maca Root Shaving Cream. I was so excited to get home and proceed to shave with the cream. I whipped up a rich, luscious lather with only a few dabs of product on my brush. The lather was superb it adhered to my skin, the DE safety razor glided over my face without any friction and the post shave sensation was amazing. Immediately, there was almost no skin irritation, coupled with very little redness and after several uses I have noticed a remarkable reduction in bumps and those nasty ingrown hairs. Furthermore, the cream was slightly scented, bearing the crisp, clean and refreshing fragrance of being under a waterfall in a tropical paradise. As such began my curiosity and experimentation with various creams. The next step was for me to seek out a shave cream equally as effective in terms of the aforementioned attributes, but slightly more fragrant, aromatic and or varied in scent. The second shave cream purchase was the Sandalwood Shave Cream by Crabtree and Evelyn. Again, this product was amazing, lathered up nicely and had a more pronounced muskier and manlier scent, with pronounced undertones of savory aromatic sweetness. Another remarkable benefit evidenced by use of these products is the shave creams capacity to be absorbed by the badger brush and to permit multiple latherings without any additional product. For example, the two or three dabs you apply to the brush initially will allow you to lather up at least three, four times, for the WTG, XTG and ATG passes; how is my shaving lingo? However, when using shave cream from a canister, each subsequent pass required additional product to be applied; so even though the mass marketed goos may be cheaper in price, the fact that you use more product eventually outweighs the cost benefit and brings it on par with a costlier quality shaving cream.

For several weeks I was using the two shaving creams mentioned above, interchangeably. Suddenly, a good friend of mine, who is also my partner in DE shaving odyssey; we both became addicted simultaneously, purchased several quality creams by the Taylor of Old Bond Street and Geo F. Trumper. He claims that these creams are even better than one can imagine, providing the ultimate in lather, lubrication, aroma and overall comfort. I had never before heard of these companies or brands. After a little internet research I discovered that these two popular English brands have been making products since the 1800s. In addition, Youtube actually shows people using the shave creams and providing their own comments and opinions. Consequently, I have ordered a Taylor of Old Bond Street, Rose scented shave cream and a Geo F. Trumper Lavender scented shave cream, I cannot wait to receive them, so as to shave with them and provide my comments!

Honestly one cannot imagine how much the “shaving cream” variable, adds to the overall enjoyment of the shaving experience. It can make all the difference. What was once a dreaded morning task has been transformed into an anticipated and welcomed morning ritual; especially for those of us who are not morning people we can at least anticipate the addition of a little sunshine or a little splash of excitement, at the start of our day. Besides I believe there is no other twenty something dollar (20$) expenditure which will afford a man such an immense amount of pleasure. Anyways, Happy Shaving and I look forward to all your comments, opinions and advice.

Regards,

Sam

0 108
 05-06-2012, 11:50 AM
User Info
Welcome to the addiction my friend.

A couple nice lines 'made for sensitive skin' worth trying are I Coloniali Rhubarb Shave Cream and AS Balm as well as the TOBS Jermyn line (although this is a soap and not a cream). Both have great scents and are made for sensitive skin.

129 6,685
 05-06-2012, 12:29 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
I hope that your new creams work for you. TOBS Rose that you picked up is my all time favorite. Performance and scent is great.

If you want to try a bunch of creams but not pay for the whole tub with risk of irritation there are a few shops online that you can buy samples. For the life of me I can't remember the name - I hope another member can jump in for me. You can try a bunch of samples on the cheap then pick up full versions of your favorites that work for you.

0 353
 05-06-2012, 12:33 PM
User Info
TOBS Avocado is great for people with skin conditions.

0 372
 05-06-2012, 01:13 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
One of the sample shops is Garry's.

I found that after a few months with good products and a less irritating razor, my skin was less sensitive than I thought.

Another option to consider is Spencer and Devon. It's pricy, but you don't need much, and it leaves my skin feeling wonderful.

10 1,858
 05-06-2012, 01:21 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
There are so many excellent creams (and soaps) out there, as you are discovering. Welcome to this wonderful addiction. Wink

2 11,211
 05-06-2012, 01:35 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
shoeboxshaving.com is another.

0 353
 05-06-2012, 05:02 PM
User Info
I'll have to try these sample sites... I've been using Bigelow and enjoy it a great deal. Like to try some others though too. Thanks for the links.

0 53
 05-06-2012, 08:05 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
No problem. Samples may be a good idea if you have especially sensitive skin, which is what it sounds like. I'm lucky that my skin doesn't seem to react to anything, but would imagine it would be a major bummer shelling out for a full tub, like the scent and performance only to realize your skin says "no way sucka!"

0 353