03-29-2014, 10:26 AM
User Info
 03-29-2014, 10:36 AM
User Info
Any transcript for the video impaired? Smile

5 90
 03-29-2014, 10:42 AM
User Info
(03-29-2014, 10:36 AM)yomuppet Wrote: Any transcript for the video impaired? Smile

I'm sorry Sir, I don't have a transcript as I don't work from talking points or anything like that. I just do it off the cuff.

19 881
 03-29-2014, 11:07 AM
User Info
Thanks for the review(s). For comparison's sake, what size knots on the Thater plexi and Muhle synth?

29 1,776
 03-29-2014, 11:09 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Thank you for sharing!
I thought it covered the overview of synthetic brushes well Biggrin

Blessings,
James

9 1,684
 03-29-2014, 11:15 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
You are right, synthetics are a perfectly viable type of shave brush. Just take them for what they are.

Bob

0 1,694
 03-29-2014, 11:19 AM
User Info
The Thater is 23mm, the Muhle is 23mm, and the EJ is 24mm. Thank you.

19 881
 03-29-2014, 11:47 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Excellent review of what to expect from a synthetic. For those considering buying a synthetic this video is de rigueur watching. I have the Muhle, but with the 21 mm knot. Initially I didn't like it because of the face-feel, I face lather exclusively, resulting from the springiness of the fibre. The mistake I made was not applying enough pressure; in other words I was lathering as if it were a badger or a boar. After two shaves, however, I figured this out and on changing my technique I changed my opinion; whilst the face-feel is still different to that of my badgers I like it. I'm leaving on a two week trip tomorrow and guess what...I'm taking the Muhle because its fast drying property make it ideally suited for travel, especially when one is on the move most every day.

7 937
 03-29-2014, 11:56 AM
User Info
(03-29-2014, 11:47 AM)Rufus Wrote: Excellent review of what to expect from a synthetic. For those considering buying a synthetic this video is de rigueur watching. I have the Muhle, but with the 21 mm knot. Initially I didn't like it because of the face-feel, I face lather exclusively, resulting from the springiness of the fibre. The mistake I made was not applying enough pressure; in other words I was lathering as if it were a badger or a boar. After two shaves, however, I figured this out and on changing my technique I changed my opinion; whilst the face-feel is still different to that of my badgers I like it. I'm leaving on a two week trip tomorrow and guess what...I'm taking the Muhle because its fast drying property make it ideally suited for travel, especially when one is on the move most every day.
Thank you sir and obviously I agree with you.

19 881
 03-29-2014, 12:39 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Another nice video young man. You keep this up and we will have to devote a section just to your videos.

179 23,945
 03-29-2014, 12:43 PM
User Info
(03-29-2014, 12:39 PM)Johnny Wrote: Another nice video young man. You keep this up and we will have to devote a section just to your videos.
Haha, thank you Sir. I have another one on my channel about great vendors but I didn't know if I could post it here so I have not. I appreciate the kind words and I hope people will find these helpful.

19 881
 03-29-2014, 01:19 PM
User Info
Well, of course they are. Many of us have been saying that for awhile (after being against them, I'm now for them Biggrin ). Good video and explanation of how to use the flex (backbone IMO).

I actually think the "spring" or backbone would be a benefit for someone who has the brush mashing habit since it will give feedback. But I don't think the synthetics need quite the flattening shown in the video. Far from it in fact. A little goes a long way.

Too, it's not that they don't hold water. They will pick it up like a sponge. The problem is that all that water they picked up, they dump at first chance. Water needs to be tightly controlled with a synthetic and no pre lather brush wetting. Pre wetting will just make one think the brush is the pits when it exhibits the water characteristic I just explained. Too, the brush couldn't care less if it's pre wet or not.

Badger, boar, or horse they aren't. Synthetics have their own characteristics. Not bad, just different, and their own. They are NOT your daddies or granddads synthetic brushes.

If I had started with a synthetic brush I might not have any natural fiber brushes today. Shhhh! And I might not miss them.

32 6,471
 03-29-2014, 03:20 PM
User Info
I think the synthetic brushes are definitely more durable than badger. They don't lose "hairs" as badgers do. I wonder if the springiness or backbone will last forever and thus the usefulness of the synthetic brush or need to be re-knotted after 8 years or less like badger brushes?

21 1,687
 03-29-2014, 03:27 PM
User Info
Nice observations. I don't have enough experience with synthetics to know conclusively but the hair definitely feels more durable to me as it feels much less brittle than badger or boar.

(03-29-2014, 03:20 PM)lindyhop66 Wrote: I think the synthetic brushes are definitely more durable than badger. They don't lose "hairs" as badgers do. I wonder if the springiness or backbone will last forever and thus the usefulness of the synthetic brush or need to be re-knotted after 8 years or less like badger brushes?

19 881
 03-29-2014, 04:09 PM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
I bought a L'occitane Plisson a few weeks ago. Thank to JMartz - I acquired a HIS brush this week. IMHO - not only are Synthetic brushes viable - they will be the default choice for 'non-hobbyist' wetshavers moving forward (as stated by GDCarrington first).

The HIS brush performs just as well as the Plisson - but it's half the cost. It's larger - which I prefer; so price aside - the HIS is my choice. I strongly recommend it to everyone.

17 535
 03-29-2014, 04:19 PM
User Info
I bought a Frank Shaving and H.I.S. XL a couple of years ago when they were very cheap. Lately I've been using my synthetics 95% of the time. My badgers are sitting there unused. I have 2 Muhle brushes and really like them. The H.I.S. has become my favorite, large and soft and a great lather maker and holder.

21 1,687
 03-29-2014, 04:21 PM
User Info
(03-29-2014, 04:19 PM)lindyhop66 Wrote: I bought a Frank Shaving and H.I.S. XL a couple of years ago when they were very cheap. Lately I've been using my synthetics 95% of the time. My badgers are sitting there unused. I have 2 Muhle brushes and really like them. The H.I.S. has become my favorite, large and soft and a great lather maker and holder.

I'm really liking my synthetic brushes also. I think they're great.

19 881
 03-29-2014, 04:55 PM
User Info
(03-29-2014, 12:39 PM)Johnny Wrote: Another nice video young man. You keep this up and we will have to devote a section just to your videos.

+1 Smile

83 21,115
 03-29-2014, 04:55 PM
User Info
Synthetic fibers are far thicker, stronger and more durable than any natural fiber. I have received early GEN 1 brushes made in the 1950s that retained the same characteristics (good and bad) even to the coloration as currently made GEN 1 fiber brushes after 60 years under normal storage (not special or vacuum sealed) conditions. Naturals unless stored in unusually special storage systems will simply degrade over time.

The overall History of Synthetic brushes synopsis and why it took so long to gain a foothold in the mainstream traditional shaving arena can be found here.

http://sharpologist.com/2013/12/syntheti...arket.html

(03-29-2014, 10:26 AM)TSEvangelist Wrote: http://youtu.be/yTYlxs_9d1E

Nice video discussion.

Yes, it has taken several years but now a large number of users enjoy Synthetics along with Badgers, Boars and Horse hair brushes.

1 2,827