03-29-2014, 03:39 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
I am just back from a trip to London, and as we were working through our itinerary, I managed to get a visit to DR Harris on the docket. Harris and each of the three T's are all within a few blocks of each other off of Picadilly Street, and a stone's throw from Buckingham Palace. Harris has two locations, one on Picadilly, and one on Bury Street, which is temporary space for their second shop, currently being renovated. I visited Bury Street.

[Image: bUMWwy4.jpg]

This is a working pharmacy with the druggist in back, and a large selection of Harris products up front. I will confess to not having pics other than the shot above, because I was the only person in the shop, and the proprietor was watching like a hawk. Upon entering the shop, you are greeted with a complete selection of Harris soaps and creams, in pots, tubes, bowls and sticks. Really, they were all there. Farther down on the right was Harris's full complement of skin care products.

On the left as you entered is the hardware section, with Harris branded DEs, And I believe some other brands. They also had a nice selection of straights. I was happy to see a nice selection of brushes, Simpsons and Harris-branded brushes. All of the Simpsons were in their new red boxes, so there is clearly good product turnover in store.

I couldn't leave empty-handed Rolleyes, so accompanying me back to the States was a bottle of cucumber rose hand cream that my wife picked out. I decided that since I can get just about any Harris product online, I would bring home something that is difficult to lay hands on outside the shop. Some of you may have seen that Harris issued an LE Arlington Shave soap in a black bowl, and one now lives with me:
[Image: 1MU1szD.jpg]
[Image: wSWgS2f.jpg]
[Image: fuovg0e.jpg]
[Image: asEmEP8.jpg]

I also wanted to bring home a brush, and decided to go with a synthetic, which I have never seen before. I don't know what generation of fibers we're talking about here, but I will give it a spin next week.

[Image: GNpinmO.jpg]
[Image: hNYupjP.jpg]

0 1,137
 03-29-2014, 03:51 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Nice haul, Bob.

I hope to visit these fine establishments sometime ...

102 18,653
 03-29-2014, 03:56 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
You're a lucky guy-safe travels home, Bob

19 742
 03-29-2014, 03:56 PM
  • Elendil
  • The snow's back.
User Info
It's really like stepping back in time. That whole area has catered to men's grooming, clothing, shoe and tailoring needs for a couple of hundred years. TOBS is right next to Alfred Sargent shoes, and Harris is a few doors down from a bespoke shirt maker.

0 1,137
 03-29-2014, 04:13 PM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
(03-29-2014, 03:56 PM)Elendil Wrote: It's really like stepping back in time. That whole area has catered to men's grooming, clothing, shoe and tailoring needs for a couple of hundred years. TOBS is right next to Alfred Sargent shoes, and Harris is a few doors down from a bespoke shirt maker.

Yes whole St.James district is great Smile Happy you enjoy itSmile I like it so much that I am there every fortnight just to walk and buy what I need(ykmmm) plus every 1.5 month I am at T&H to get my haircutSmile

11 880
 03-29-2014, 04:55 PM
User Info
I wish I had as much experience then as I do now when I went ~3 years ago. It was a fun stroll around St James area and had a fine anniversary shave at T&H.

Glad you enjoyed your trip!

31 1,800
 03-29-2014, 05:00 PM
User Info
Good to hear you enjoyed the visit! Smile

83 21,081
 03-29-2014, 05:24 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Thanks for sharing your experience.

38 5,115
 03-29-2014, 07:50 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Bob, what a great experience. I probably haven't been to London in about 20 years, long before I started wet shaving. Sad

2 11,211
 03-30-2014, 04:38 AM
User Info
Thank you for sharing a wonderful experience. You are one lucky guySmile

121 13,128
 03-31-2014, 08:21 PM
User Info
Picadilly street is on the bucket list - My next trip to London will have this visit on the agenda.

0 150
 04-01-2014, 02:50 PM
User Info
I've a trip booked there for October, can't wait!!
Pleased you enjoyed our capital.

0 21
 04-01-2014, 03:39 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
In 1985 I went to London as a High School trip and will never forget the trip. The tour eventually took us to St James, but by then I was bored and ventured off the tour path to find my own adventure, which ended with a basket of fish and chips and a crunchie bar...

74 1,512
 04-02-2014, 04:58 AM
  • Elendil
  • The snow's back.
User Info
London was a fantastic place, and we thoroughly enjoyed the trip. Re: the shave gear, I've been to Pasteur's in New York many times, and it's great to have the equivalent of the selection of a BullGoose Shaving or West Coast Shaving staring you in the face. It's quite another to walk into a Harris, Trumpers, TOBS or T&H and feel the place. It's the difference between walking into a pharmacy with a huge shave section versus stepping back in time.

0 1,137
 04-04-2014, 08:19 PM
User Info
I greatly enjoyed reading this. I hope I would have had enough sense to buy the hard to find items. Your choices were excellent. I'm looking forward to your reports on the soap and brush!

24 1,226