05-06-2012, 12:12 PM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
I let the bowl float in the sink filled with hot water, which made the lather warm and nice. Therefore, I think I have to get a scuttle Smile

But I see they vary much in price, from $20 to $150.

Is there a big difference? Quality? etc...

Have looked most at a scuttle from Robert at robertsfeatsofclay, which is at the lower price range.

7 858
 05-06-2012, 12:45 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Why complicate your life...what you are doing works the same as a scuttle..takes up less room on the sink and works even better than a scuttle...just get a nice bowl (could be a candy dish or ice cream bowl) heat it up in the hot water of the sink..dump the water back into the sink and make your lather..can even leave the bowl in the sink while you shave keeping it warm ..just keep the water level below the top of the bowl.

6 1,913
 05-06-2012, 12:52 PM
User Info
(05-06-2012, 12:45 PM)Harvey Wrote: Why complicate your life...what you are doing works the same as a scuttle..takes up less room on the sink and works even better than a scuttle...just get a nice bowl (could be a candy dish or ice cream bowl) heat it up in the hot water of the sink..dump the water back into the sink and make your lather..can even leave the bowl in the sink while you shave keeping it warm ..just keep the water level below the top of the bowl.

Interesting point of view coming from a wet shaver when compared to the rest of the shaving world.

0 145
 05-06-2012, 01:20 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I know that the lower price options among the big names are cast rather than thrown. I think there is also a certain amount of label buying with the more expensive ones, like Moss.

Besides that, there are differences in size, options like lids and brush soaking cups, etc.

10 1,858
 05-06-2012, 01:40 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(05-06-2012, 01:20 PM)Songwind Wrote: I know that the lower price options among the big names are cast rather than thrown.

This was the first thing I looked for before buying a scuttle. I wanted one that was actually turned on a potters wheel. I've had both kinds and for some reason the one turned on the potters wheel seems to hold heat longer. Probably something to do with the thickness of the clay.

173 23,486
 05-06-2012, 01:43 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Striky,

A scuttle is a luxury. You can get by without it by improvising ways to keep your brush and lather warm.

But then, by Jove, a scuttle helps add the term "delicious" to the shave. Yes, some are pricier than others. Come to think of it, traditional wet shaving comes with a variety of luxuries, some pricey.

To suggest one scuttle is better than another amounts to just an opinion. What matters is what you like.

This is what I like:

I use mostly soaps. Creams usually on the weekends. With soaps I face lather, and the small Moss scuttle keeps my brush and lather warm — the Moss is not designed to lather in. With creams I usually bowl lather, using the basic Ansgar Schwarzweisskeramik scuttle.

132 2,614
 05-06-2012, 01:59 PM
User Info
I have used a Becker 006 brush scuttle for years, and love it. I have bought and sold a couple of the "big name" scuttles, and while they are very good, too, they were no better than the Becker.

6 230
 05-06-2012, 02:02 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(05-06-2012, 01:43 PM)Obie Wrote: Striky,

A scuttle is a luxury. You can get by without it by improvising ways to keep your brush and lather warm.

But then, by Jove, a scuttle helps add the term "delicious" to the shave. Yes, some are pricier than others. Come to think of it, traditional wet shaving comes with a variety of luxuries, some pricey.

To suggest one scuttle is better than another amounts to just an opinion. What matters is what you like.

This is what I like:

I use mostly soaps. Creams usually on the weekends. With soaps I face lather, and the small Moss scuttle keeps my brush and lather warm — the Moss is not designed to lather in. With creams I usually bowl lather, using the basic Ansgar Schwarzweisskeramik scuttle.

One word comes to mind after reading this.
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
Wisdom.:star:

173 23,486
 05-06-2012, 04:53 PM
User Info
I was in the same dilemma and decided to start off simply in the scuttle world (or at least more economically. I have ordered a Becker scuttle #005 witha lid. I figure if like using a scuttle--which I think I will--then I'll have perfectly functional one and later on I can buy another one or two. But I figure that's wiser to start in scuttles (clearly an extra) more reasonably.

0 53
 05-07-2012, 06:38 AM
  • Nova316
  • Alberta, Canada
User Info
After doing a ton of research I went with a DB1.0 scuttle in Opal/Black so it wasn't to big and wasn't to small either to lather in. I usually bowl lather and enjoy warm lather as I do have quite a few cold evenings in Canada.

So the price wasn't to hard to justify when the shave became more enjoyable. I think the biggest thing was I tried to warm up my bowl and brush in the sink but it'd never stay hot. When I put warm water around my bowl some would spill in and ruin my lather. So a scuttle seems like a much easier way.

0 33
 05-08-2012, 09:47 AM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
I like a warm lather, and I use creams most. So I want to make tha lather in the scuttle.

I think I will start with a scuttle from Robert at robertsfeatsofclay, but these are not turned on a potters wheel?

7 858
 05-08-2012, 09:58 AM
User Info
(05-08-2012, 09:47 AM)Striky Wrote: I like a warm lather, and I use creams most. So I want to make tha lather in the scuttle.

I think I will start with a scuttle from Robert at robertsfeatsofclay, but these are not turned on a potters wheel?

Robert's scuttles are slip cast not thrown. Hence the reason for an inexpensive product. It's a great way to start. If you like it well enough to keep using it (scuttles take a little more time, care and work) you can always look at a DirtyBird somewhere down the road. I personally think it's a good idea to have one of each.

0 145
 05-08-2012, 10:05 AM
User Info
(05-08-2012, 09:58 AM)GearHead_1 Wrote: Robert's scuttles are slip cast not thrown. Hence the reason for an inexpensive product. It's a great way to start. If you like it well enough to keep using it (scuttles take a little more time, care and work) you can always look at a DirtyBird somewhere down the road. I personally think it's a good idea to have one of each.

I have both, and although the DB feels a little heavier and more durable, in actual use both keep the lather plenty warm. My large Becker is especially good for the larger brushes.

183 12,002
 05-08-2012, 10:23 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I used a schwarzweisskeramik XL scuttle for a long time, was very happy with it but it's been months since I used it, I started face lathering and enjoy it more.

27 1,294
 05-08-2012, 11:07 AM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
I have looked at the dirtybird also. Maybe I should just buy a dirty bird from the start, save money from buying two scuttles Smile

7 858
 05-08-2012, 12:47 PM
User Info
Just throwing my opinion into the mix. I snagged one of Songwind's wife's scuttles (pics).

I really like the three piece design. When I don't use it for lather warming, I still have a place to soak my brush & the bowl for lathering. I'm not sure if she has anymore available, but I'm both impressed and quite happy with mine.

1 39
 05-08-2012, 08:50 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I think my Georgetown G5 is prettiest!
[attachment=1649]

But, my Dirtybird is the best performer!
[attachment=1650] [attachment=1651]

But I'm also happy using my trusty Old Spice mug too!
(It just doesn't keep the lather warm like the other two)

91 17,795
 05-09-2012, 05:45 AM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
To me the size of the resevoir was improtant when I bought the scuttle as it will allow better heat retention and transfer.

Some of the Georgetown scuttles (especially the earlier versions) didn't have a big enough water resevoir to me.

I ended up on the Dirty Bird 1.5. I'm a bowl latherer so that style works for me. Also, she makes the scuttles on a potters wheel - you can actually see her make the scuttles on YouTube. It's amazing how easy she can make it look when I know I'd have clay flying all over the place and the end result would look like a child make it. (Edit: I just noticed that Teiste posted the video in a sticky on this page)

Dirty Bird also has brush scuttles, so she kinda has something for everyone. The 1.5 is a little big since my brushes stay around 21mm, but I'm completely happy with it. The funny part is, you get so used to the warm lather that you don't notice it as much... until you end up not using it when traveling, etc. Then if feels freezing!

(05-08-2012, 12:47 PM)pezhore Wrote: Just throwing my opinion into the mix. I snagged one of Songwind's wife's scuttles (pics).

I really like the three piece design. When I don't use it for lather warming, I still have a place to soak my brush & the bowl for lathering. I'm not sure if she has anymore available, but I'm both impressed and quite happy with mine.

Wow, nice looking scuttle.

Songwind - tell your wife she did a great job!

I wish my Dirty Bird would separate the bowl/jar. To my understanding you can request this but I was impatient - she happened to have a scuttle I was looking for sitting on hand that someone backed out of so I picked that up and didn't have to wait the time for her to make it.

0 353
 05-28-2012, 10:58 AM
User Info
I have a Becker (medium, I think). It was ~$15 at the time and it has been a real bargain.

I only use it when it's cold out and only for cream as I prefer to face-lather soaps.

Heat-retention has always seemed like a non-issue to me. I'm done shaving in 5-6 minutes so, things are as hot as I need them for the duration. Besides, too much heat isn't good for the life of your lather.

0 92
 05-28-2012, 11:09 AM
User Info
(05-28-2012, 10:58 AM)Larrybacca Wrote: I have a Becker (medium, I think). It was ~$15 at the time and it has been a real bargain.

I only use it when it's cold out and only for cream as I prefer to face-lather soaps.

Heat-retention has always seemed like a non-issue to me. I'm done shaving in 5-6 minutes so, things are as hot as I need them for the duration. Besides, too much heat isn't good for the life of your lather.

This should not be an issue at the temperatures typically used in shaving.

0 145