03-29-2014, 06:21 PM
User Info
I'm sure I would like this brush more with a bit shorter loft. Any tips for removing the knot? What size handle would I need? I'm guessing that the knot must sit in a metal cup of some sort and the lip of the cup will have to be bent or ground off so that the knot can be set lower in a new handle. Anyone done this and can let me know what I would encounter? Thanks

44 486
 03-29-2014, 06:28 PM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
Well it steams out easily - I did it. It is set in a metal ferrule so you will have the lip to deal with. Thats as far as I can take you. I sold the knot and set a horsehair knot is what is actually a cheap, hollow, foam filled wooden handle.

9 429
 03-29-2014, 06:40 PM
User Info
The metal lip is quite durable and challenging to deal with. You will have to be careful if you grind it to not damage the fibres.
The knot is approximately 22mm, so you would need a handle to accommodate it, but the metallic glue plug will add a few mm to it.
I used a few substantial blows with a hammer and the plug loosened; the handle is quite resilient and will not shatter or crack this way, from my experience. Personally, I wouldn't use the steaming method as I wouldn't want to weaken the knot, but that is just my opinion.
Also, I have it set at a 51mm loft and there isn't a great deal of a difference. It is slight and it feels a bit better for face-lathering, but it won't be as pronounced as you would think.
Good luck.

82 21,056
 03-30-2014, 04:30 AM
User Info
I set WSO's removed knot in a handle made by member bowhuntr. The handle if I remember right was drilled 22.3mm and 14mm deep. I needed to sand a small amount to accommodate the knot. So I would guess the hole wound up being 22.4 or so. Worked out well and have been using the brush exclusively and really like it. I think the factory set loft is perfect for me so I kept the loft the same. WSO and Bowhuntr were great to deal/work with and recommend both gentlemen highly.

18 201
 03-30-2014, 11:12 AM
User Info
What didn't you guys like about the plisson handle?

5 90
 03-30-2014, 12:02 PM
User Info
(03-30-2014, 11:12 AM)yomuppet Wrote: What didn't you guys like about the plisson handle?

The handle is fine and I just wanted to try the knot at a lower loft as I find the original 55-56mm loft a bit too high. It isn't a huge issue as it still works very well and it is the best synthetic I have tried, but I was just curious to see if a lower loft (51mm) would add more backbone to it.
It has a bit, but not significantly.

82 21,056
 03-30-2014, 12:13 PM
User Info
I think I haven been talked out of this project. I don't mind the handle just wanted more backbone. But if the results are just not there, I'll just use it as is. I tried it again this morning, if I back off on the pressure, it works better for me. Thanks

44 486
 03-30-2014, 03:36 PM
User Info
I don't mind the stock handle, but I prefer a little longer handle, and I like the Persian jar shape better.

18 201
 03-30-2014, 03:59 PM
User Info
(03-29-2014, 06:28 PM)W.S.O. Wrote: Well it steams out easily - I did it. It is set in a metal ferrule so you will have the lip to deal with. Thats as far as I can take you. I sold the knot and set a horsehair knot is what is actually a cheap, hollow, foam filled wooden handle.

Where does one get a horse hair knot? I have a Vie Long which is balding, I'd like to replace it in kind.

22 653