• Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Another nice video Chris.

Now I need to send you a Packer mug to drink your Irish Coffee out of. Biggrin

179 23,945
 03-30-2014, 09:23 AM
User Info
(03-30-2014, 09:21 AM)Johnny Wrote: Another nice video Chris.

Now I need to send you a Packer mug to drink your Irish Coffee out of. Biggrin

Haha! I expect more of the Packers this year. I think they are a better team than they showed last year.

19 881
 03-30-2014, 09:26 AM
  • Demerkj
  • Retiredandgolfing
  • Racine, WI
User Info
Do I detect a fellow Cheesehead in the crowd?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 5
 03-30-2014, 09:47 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(03-30-2014, 09:26 AM)Demerkj Wrote: Do I detect a fellow Cheesehead in the crowd?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Indeed I am.

179 23,945
 03-30-2014, 10:16 AM
User Info
The handle on the Plisson is wood not resin.

The reason why the Plisson splays easily and the Simpsons does not splay easily is three fold. One the Generation 3 fibers in the Plisson are thinner than the Generation 4 fibers used the in the Simpsons. Two the Simpsons knot is made denser than the Plisson in terms of packing. Three and most importantly the loft in the Plisson is longer than the extremely short Simpson loft. The difference between 55 mm (Plisson) and 48 mm (Simpsons) is major for a brush using synthetic fibers.

Please note that Synthetics do not "get better" over time. Over years of use only minor adjustments occur in the knot base if glue (not epoxy) is used. In a glue based knot the fibers will settle in over time a provide a very slight adjustment where as the epoxy based knots set like a rock and don't give or change. As to the fibers stay the same over many years of normal use. As stated in an earlier posting, I have received early GEN 1 brushes made in the 1950s that retained the same characteristics (good and bad) even to the coloration as currently made GEN 1 fiber brushes after 60 years under normal storage (not special or vacuum sealed) conditions. Naturals unless stored in unusually special storage systems will simply degrade over time.

1 2,827
 03-30-2014, 10:17 AM
  • srgjazz
  • Santa Monica
User Info
I believe the Plisson handle is Rosewood.

48 684
 03-30-2014, 10:19 AM
User Info
(03-30-2014, 10:16 AM)GDCarrington Wrote: The handle on the Plisson is wood not resin.

The reason why the Plisson splays easily and the Simpsons does not splay easily is three fold. One the Generation 3 fibers in the Plisson are thinner than the Generation 4 fibers used the in the Simpsons. Two the Simpsons knot is made denser than the Plisson in terms of packing. Three and most importantly the loft in the Plisson is longer than the extremely short Simpson loft. The difference between 55 mm and 48 mm is major for a synthetic.

Please note that Synthetics do not "get better" over time. Over years of use the only minor adjustments occur in the knot base if glue (not epoxy) is used. In a glue based knot the fibers will settle in over time a provide a very slight adjustment where as the epoxy based knots set like a rock and don't give or change. As to the fibers stay the same over many years of normal use. As stated in an earlier posting, I have received early GEN 1 brushes made in the 1950s that retained the same characteristics (good and bad) even to the coloration as currently made GEN 1 fiber brushes after 60 years under normal storage (not special or vacuum sealed) conditions. Naturals unless stored in unusually special storage systems will simply degrade over time.

I have seen some reports of the short lofted Simpson becoming a bit easier to splay after some use. Someone had some pics of it as well but I can't remember where I saw it. With that said, this is why I said I heard and didn't confirm it. Thanks for all the helpful information.

19 881
 03-30-2014, 10:28 AM
User Info
(03-30-2014, 10:19 AM)TSEvangelist Wrote:
(03-30-2014, 10:16 AM)GDCarrington Wrote: The handle on the Plisson is wood not resin.

The reason why the Plisson splays easily and the Simpsons does not splay easily is three fold. One the Generation 3 fibers in the Plisson are thinner than the Generation 4 fibers used the in the Simpsons. Two the Simpsons knot is made denser than the Plisson in terms of packing. Three and most importantly the loft in the Plisson is longer than the extremely short Simpson loft. The difference between 55 mm and 48 mm is major for a synthetic.

Please note that Synthetics do not "get better" over time. Over years of use the only minor adjustments occur in the knot base if glue (not epoxy) is used. In a glue based knot the fibers will settle in over time a provide a very slight adjustment where as the epoxy based knots set like a rock and don't give or change. As to the fibers stay the same over many years of normal use. As stated in an earlier posting, I have received early GEN 1 brushes made in the 1950s that retained the same characteristics (good and bad) even to the coloration as currently made GEN 1 fiber brushes after 60 years under normal storage (not special or vacuum sealed) conditions. Naturals unless stored in unusually special storage systems will simply degrade over time.

I have seen some reports of the short lofted Simpson becoming a bit easier to splay after some use. Someone had some pics of it as well but I can't remember where I saw it. With that said, this is why I said I heard and didn't confirm it. Thanks for all the helpful information.

That would be the base that would cause a change (settling / expansion / contraction) because the fibers and the loft remain fixed so the only variable is the base.

1 2,827
 03-30-2014, 10:40 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I do believe that I can see a slight bit of blooming with my Simpsons brush over it's shape when new. Very little though compared to my badgers. It has also become easier to use with circular strokes over time. I don't know if it is the brush or I am simply getting the hang of using better. Still no major complaints all told.

Bob

0 1,694
 03-30-2014, 10:59 AM
User Info
(03-30-2014, 10:40 AM)BobH Wrote: I do believe that I can see a slight bit of blooming with my Simpsons brush over it's shape when new. Very little though compared to my badgers. It has also become easier to use with circular strokes over time. I don't know if it is the brush or I am simply getting the hang of using better. Still no major complaints all told.

Bob

That's what I'm hoping for too although I'm comfortable using it as is if need be.

19 881
 03-30-2014, 11:15 AM
User Info
Another lovely video and enjoy your brushes! Smile

83 21,115
 03-30-2014, 11:23 AM
User Info
(03-30-2014, 11:15 AM)celestino Wrote: Another lovely video and enjoy your brushes! Smile

Very kind of you to say, thank you!

19 881
 03-30-2014, 11:44 AM
User Info
(03-30-2014, 10:40 AM)BobH Wrote: I do believe that I can see a slight bit of blooming with my Simpsons brush over it's shape when new. Very little though compared to my badgers.

That is the beauty and the beast of a Synthetic brush compared to natural hair shaving brushes of all types.

I and others have instructed for years that Synthetic brushes change very, very little if any at all over time. If you have a Synthetic brush and enjoy it guess what, you will have that same enjoyment for a long long time of normal use because it will not change like naturals. That is the beauty part.

If you have a Synthetic brush and dislike it guess what, you will have be extremely disappointed because it will not change like naturals that bloom. That is the beast part.

1 2,827
 03-30-2014, 11:59 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(03-30-2014, 11:44 AM)GDCarrington Wrote:
(03-30-2014, 10:40 AM)BobH Wrote: I do believe that I can see a slight bit of blooming with my Simpsons brush over it's shape when new. Very little though compared to my badgers.

That is the beauty and the beast of a Synthetic brush compared to natural hair shaving brushes of all types.

I and others have instructed for years that Synthetic brushes change very, very little if any at all over time. If you have a Synthetic brush and enjoy it guess what, you will have that same enjoyment for a long long time of normal use because it will not change like naturals. That is the beauty part.

If you have a Synthetic brush and dislike it guess what, you will have be extremely disappointed because it will not change like naturals that bloom. That is the beast part.

I do have 2 other Muhle STF brushes and enjoy them also so was not really expecting a synthetic to bloom like my badgers. The only synthetic that was absolutely pathetic to use for me was a TBS synthetic. Gave it to my wife for use applying cosmetics. Just could not face lather using circular strokes with that one. The other 3 that I got after were no problem in that department. The TBS brush may have suited a person who only face lathers using painting strokes.

Bob

0 1,694
 03-30-2014, 12:19 PM
User Info
(03-30-2014, 11:59 AM)BobH Wrote:
(03-30-2014, 11:44 AM)GDCarrington Wrote:

I do have 2 other Muhle STF brushes and enjoy them also so was not really expecting a synthetic to bloom like my badgers. The only synthetic that was absolutely pathetic to use for me was a TBS synthetic. Gave it to my wife for use applying cosmetics. Just could not face lather using circular strokes with that one. The other 3 that I got after were no problem in that department. The TBS brush may have suited a person who only face lathers using painting strokes.

Bob

TBS is a brush that uses Generation 2 class fibers. Most people (not all) tend to dislike brushes made with Gen 1 and Gen 2 class fibers.

1 2,827
 03-30-2014, 01:33 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(03-30-2014, 12:19 PM)GDCarrington Wrote:
(03-30-2014, 11:59 AM)BobH Wrote:
(03-30-2014, 11:44 AM)GDCarrington Wrote: That is the beauty and the beast of a Synthetic brush compared to natural hair shaving brushes of all types.

Bob

TBS is a brush that uses Generation 2 class fibers. Most people (not all) tend to dislike brushes made with Gen 1 and Gen 2 class fibers.

I can certainly see why. Biggrin

0 1,694
 04-03-2014, 05:13 PM
User Info
Another great video, Chris, Thank you
Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 475
 04-03-2014, 06:05 PM
User Info
(04-03-2014, 05:13 PM)Irishcoast Wrote: Another great video, Chris, Thank you
Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Sir.

Via Tapatalk

19 881
 04-03-2014, 08:28 PM
User Info
Interesting video. Thanks!

Now I know why a friend liked the black fiber and now likes the Plisson also.

32 6,471