03-30-2014, 02:32 PM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
I used a lot of gel when I was younger, but can't really stand the stickiness or heaviness any longer. I switched to brylcreem for a while but had the same problem.

I've been curious about hair tonics (without oil), but do they really do anything? Especially once they are dry, is the effect the same as not having put anything in? Or do they provide some hold or other effect.

Another question relates to the alcohol content in most hair tonics, and whether anyone has noticed any deleterious effects

I remember trying vitalis when I was a teenager but not caring for the scent. I don't remember much else about it. I'd like to try one of the dr harris tonics but that is a lot to shell out for a hair styling product.

I'd like to hear some thoughts on the matter, thanks

17 439
 03-31-2014, 05:08 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
"Hair tonic is a product which is used to style hair. Historically, hair tonic was in widespread use, but many people have replaced tonic with gel, mousse, and a variety of other styling products which tend to leave the hair less greasy than traditional hair tonic. Some drug stores and hair salons continue to carry hair tonic for customers who like to use it, and people can also make hair tonic at home.

Like other “tonics,” hair tonic is supposed to make the hair healthier. A wide variety of largely spurious claims were made on the packaging for hair tonic historically, including claims that using hair and scalp tonic could reverse baldness, or that hair tonic would make the hair grow longer and thicker. In fact, like most hair care products, the main function of hair tonic is to make the hair look better, and to make it easier to style.

When hair tonic is applied, it makes the hair glossier, something which many people view as a sign of health in the hair. The oils in the hair tonic also help hold the hair in place, making it easier to style, much like mousse or hair spray. For people with dry hair, using a hair tonic can help moisturize the hair, preventing split ends, broken hair, and dull hair. However, hair tonic also tends to weigh down the hair, and it can create a listless or flattened appearance, which some people consider undesirable.

In addition to an oil which coats the hair, many hair tonics are also scented, with formulations for both men and women being available. To use the tonic, people brush their hair out and massage the tonic into their hair and scalps. Massage helps to stimulate circulation to the scalp, promoting scalp health, while the tonic moisturizes the hair and scalp. Once the tonic has been applied, the hair can be styled, with the tonic holding the hair in place and giving it a shiny appearance.

This hair product cannot promote hair growth, reverse baldness, or make hair grow in thicker, but it can make hair easier to manage, while promoting healthier hair in people with a dry hair type. It should be applied in moderation to prevent a greasy buildup in the hair, and some hair tonics may need to be washed out at the end of the day, or they will stain bedding and attract dirt."

99 18,011
 03-31-2014, 10:57 PM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
Thanks Ben. Where is that excerpted from?

Still curious about the non-oil formulations. May have to bite the bullet.

17 439
 04-01-2014, 03:00 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
Well I can't help Lando but I'm curious about this also.
The tonics without oil just add glycerin I suppose so I can't imagine it has much holding power in the long run. Really I'm not looking for much hold in my case but just something to keep stray hairs in line and to help tame an occasional cow lick. I'm concerned too about the alcohol damaging the hair or drying the scalp over time.

2 517
 04-02-2014, 12:30 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I, too, got sick of using gel so went back to hair tonic. One that I use is Pinaud Eau de Portugal, which has a wonderful light scent of orange. I add three drops of Glycerin and one drop of Vitamin E oil for a bit of shine and hold. I add no more than that but, obviously, those measurements can be changed. I put the glycerin and vitamin e oil in my palm, add a generous splash of the hair tonic, rub my palms together, and then massage it into my damp hair. I then comb my hair and once it dries, comb it again. At least for me, this gives the lightest bit of hold and control without making my hair feel heavy or sticky. A breeze will make my hair look windblown but a quick comb through and it all falls back into place.

From what has been mentioned here, yes, this hair tonic has both alcohol and glycerin listed in its contents. I like just that little bit extra glycerin, which is why I add it. The hair tonic itself does not contain any oil.

I have been using this combination with this and other hair tonics for some time with no ill effects or excessive drying.

[Image: gXyesaM.jpg]

Another product I use is Groom & Clean by Suave. It comes in a tube, contains no alcohol but does have mineral oil, glycerin, and lanolin. I use less than a quarter inch amount from the tube and massage it into my dampened hair. I then follow the same procedure as above: comb my hair, let the style dry, and then re-comb it. As above, if one uses too much, the hair will feel very heavy, oily, and flat.

[Image: 87F1rav.jpg] [Image: K8kY7sG.jpg]

I hope this helps.

2 11,211
 04-02-2014, 05:25 PM
User Info
You guys should try Groom 'n Clean. It's a tube sold in drug stores, right next to the Vitalis and Brylcreem. It is entirely water based, doesn't feel greasy and sticky, and rinses out clean with now washing.

It's the perfect balance for me between wanting something that adds a little moisture and hold, but not any tackiness or oil.

Whoops. I was skimming and just now saw the Groom 'n clean picture above my post.

0 303