03-30-2014, 06:55 PM
User Info
To make a long story short....

I bought Mystic Water Bay Rum two months into my wetshaving journey and failed miserably at making what I thought was a good lather. The lather just kept disappearing and being the shallow young man I was, I thought what is this ugly looking lather on my face? I can't use this! Off with this junk!

Fast forward to a week ago. My friends on here and TSN keep using and regarding it as the best. Fine! I said. Round two.

Excitedly, I ordered my second puck and went with Jeff's Lavender. Again... Michelle's scents are the best I've encountered. You can't dispute it. YMMV on scents? I say NAY. Perfection Smile

Ok so I soak the puck, brush and go about my routine. Load heavily. Go to face lather and struggle. Hey... At least i tried. I go ahead and shave anyway with a super thin looking watery lather. My aesthetic desires were set aside. Low and behold, my shave was...

Outstanding. The slickness and glide? Unparalleled. Protective? Yes! I feel like I discovered one of the great secrets that most wetshavers don't uncover.

Fully satisfied with my irritation free and effortless shave, I rinse off and apply some AS.

WOW. I always thought MWF, LPL, and others had great post shave. Honestly, nothing has ever left me so feeling so great. It's difficult to describe but my face for the past two days has felt this sensation of ultra hydration. For a good hour after the shave, my face felt like it still had a layer of cool water over it yet dry to the touch.

All I have to say is: Michelle I am sorry! I have been one of those who proclaimed MW doesn't work for me. It's a polarizing soap. You either love or you hate it.

For those of you who have "failed" at making lather with Mystic Waters soap, you may be surprised at how incredible it performs even with a poor, wet looking lather. Unreal. With time, I'm sure I'll figure out how to make it appear like a rich yogurt like cream that I usually get but ultimately.. I don't care!!!

End rant.

[Image: e8ezyvat.jpg]
[Image: de6yge2y.jpg]

Sorry for the repost for those of you who caught this on another forum

12 715
 03-30-2014, 07:15 PM
User Info
Congratulations, Bryan! Smile

82 21,056
 03-30-2014, 07:17 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Congratulations, Bryan.

MW can indeed be polarizing, and is a rewarding soap for many.

102 18,555
 03-31-2014, 12:09 AM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Congratulations, Bryan. I found I had to adjust my lathering technique for Mystic Waters, too. Once I figured it out, it was great. I'm glad you've made it a winner for yourself, also.

- Murray

4 1,150
 03-31-2014, 02:05 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I was just getting ready to post the same thing....almost. I couldn't get ANY kind of lather from it. Me. Who could get a great lather from anything. I've never had a problem bowl lathering MWF ,I felt so proud. But then I got my samples of Mystic and... nothing. So I set aside the two half round pieces I had. Put them together at the bottom of a mug. Meantime I received a long handled, long new gen. syn. knotted Nyal Drugstore brush as a part of a restored set along with a Super Speed razor. I didn't like it either at first, but it grew on me.I got to where I could bowl lather anything with it. So I decided, what the hell? , let's try it on that "puck" of Mystic Waters....and voila! thick, rich, creamy lather..now, did I do something different in my approach? no I don't think so. The proof, as they say, is in the pudding. Or in our case, the shave........that's to come.

7 2,281
 03-31-2014, 03:05 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
That's great news, Bryan. Congrats. There is a little voodoo in lathering any product. I'm glad it worked out!

0 1,137
 03-31-2014, 09:03 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
I like MW - it produces very thick & protective lather for me. Post shave conditioning is excellent. Fragrances are divine.

Personally - I've had to load heavier than average to make this soap work. I wonder if MW made a softer soap - would that be more user friendly?

17 535
 03-31-2014, 11:19 AM
User Info
(03-31-2014, 09:03 AM)v4257 Wrote: I like MW - it produces very thick & protective lather for me. Post shave conditioning is excellent. Fragrances are divine.

Personally - I've had to load heavier than average to make this soap work. I wonder if MW made a softer soap - would that be more user friendly?

I doubt it. At that point, an even mildly stiff brush would probably start picking up chunks of the soap while loading, especially if loading heavily. But I'm sure Michelle will know best.

5 407
 03-31-2014, 11:29 AM
  • v4257
  • Boston, USA
User Info
(03-31-2014, 11:19 AM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote:
(03-31-2014, 09:03 AM)v4257 Wrote: I like MW - it produces very thick & protective lather for me. Post shave conditioning is excellent. Fragrances are divine.

I doubt it. At that point, an even mildly stiff brush would probably start picking up chunks of the soap while loading, especially if loading heavily. But I'm sure Michelle will know best.

Thanks for the soap-expert response! Smile Could you expand a bit please to help me/us understand more?

I meant a softer soaps like Cella or Valobra or LPL. I don't pick up any chunks with any of them. What is the difference?

17 535
 03-31-2014, 11:49 AM
User Info
(03-31-2014, 11:29 AM)v4257 Wrote:
(03-31-2014, 11:19 AM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote:

Thanks for the soap-expert response! Smile Could you expand a bit please to help me/us understand more?

I meant a softer soaps like Cella or Valobra or LPL. I don't pick up any chunks with any of them. What is the difference?

My understanding is that Mystic Water soap is chiefly tallow, which I know from experience produces a VERY soft soap unless you add enough NaOH (sodium lye, which makes hard soap) to keep the soap smooth and hard. I've never used Mystic Water (it's on my to-do list), but soft soaps that are chiefly tallow tend to be very easy to break apart and almost putty-like in consistency. I put together a prototype recently that was more like play-doh than anything, but that was with only KOH (which is used for liquid soaps and soft soap), so it was always going to be extremely soft. Additionally, Mystic Water soaps don't contain coconut oil (which hardens a soap when saponified) but instead use castor oil as the lathering agent. Castor oil tends to produce softer soap anyway, so the combination of a lot of tallow and a lot of castor oil in a softer soap would likely produce something that would start to come apart pretty easily, though it will probably lather like there's no tomorrow and give that beautiful, buttery stuff that Michelle's soap is known for. LPL and Cella both contain coconut oil, which contains large amounts of lauric and myristic acid and which produces harder soap than castor oil.

5 407
 03-31-2014, 03:42 PM
User Info
I was frustrated and disappointed when I first received my MW (Wild Lavender). Just could not make decent lather. An email from Michelle and perseverance paid off. I am getting great lather and added MW Bay Rum to the den. Also, if you are looking for a Bay Rum soap, the scent is wonderful.

Hope this helps.

21 751
 03-31-2014, 04:30 PM
User Info
I DID IT!!! Finally, a beautiful, photo worthy lather. 6.5 pass head shave later and zero irritation. I'm sold!

[Image: D4dxtbP.jpg]

[Image: utQ5qHO.jpg]

12 715
 03-31-2014, 04:31 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Beautiful, Bryan!

102 18,555
 03-31-2014, 04:33 PM
User Info
Excuse my nasty cell phone pics

12 715
 03-31-2014, 05:20 PM
  • v4257
  • Boston, USA
User Info
Beautiful! Exactly what my MW lather looks like when I get it right. Is it me or is the perfect MW lather much thicker and creamier than the avg soap?

17 535
 03-31-2014, 05:27 PM
User Info
Vinny - it's the cream of the crop. I have never felt lather this wet or slippery feeling. Exceptional stuff.

Are there any other soaps out there similar to Mystic Water?

12 715
 03-31-2014, 05:31 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(03-31-2014, 05:27 PM)bmilcs Wrote: Vinny - it's the cream of the crop. I have never felt lather this wet or slippery feeling. Exceptional stuff.

Are there any other soaps out there similar to Mystic Water?

More Mystic Water ... Tongue

102 18,555
 03-31-2014, 05:54 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I sure wish one of you guys could teach this old dog how to make a lather like that out of MW. I've tried every trick I know and it's no go. Just a thin mess that evaporates faster than I can put it on. I would love to be able to make a lather like that with MW as I just love the scents.

175 23,752
 03-31-2014, 07:18 PM
User Info
Johnny - what I did was soak the puck for an hour or two before even trying to use it. It seems to love water. Then load heavy with a dry brush and use a bowl to start off. Add drop by drop of water as you go. Really wasn't all that bad. I remember reading or hearing that you should whip up your lather like you're using a whisk to mix eggs. It may have been Michelle who told me not sure but it helps.

12 715
 03-31-2014, 07:45 PM
User Info
* Bryan, excellent new and great pics! ( I told you!) Angel

* Mouser, best of luck, sir!

* Johnny, you can send me a sample of your water if you want! I am ready for experiment #3! Biggrin

82 21,056