03-31-2014, 06:44 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
During a recent trip to London, I stopped into a DR Harris shop and picked up a synthetic brush as a memento of the trip. I haven't found this brush or their other synthetics online (they had a couple of handle varieties), so I figured I would post details here. First, I'm primarily a badger user, but enjoy using boar and horse as well. The only synthetic I have any real experience using is the Body Shop synthetic brush, which I first started using around 2000 or so. This Harris brush is different:

[Image: tDnnyxU.jpg]

It is much less dense than the Body Shop brush, and like it, doesn't retain much water in the knot. The knot itself is very soft, both when wet or dry. I have found synthetics harder to use at first because you have to adjust your technique to account for the lack of water in the knot. I have also found them to be really good at producing airy lather if you're not careful. I've used the brush for the last two days, so this is not a review, but an illustration of what it can do.

First, I gave it a go with Simpson's unscented hard soap. Though it gave me a decent lather when bowl lathered, it was a bit airier than I prefer. Once worked onto my face, however, it got a bit better, and I got a decent shave from it. Here is a picture before application to my face:

[Image: XAxQQQR.jpg]

From there, I gave it a go bowl lathering Harris's own Rose cream. This one worked out much better from the start, as I added a bit of water progressively throughout, and I got a nice rich, well-hydrated lather. As an aside, the cream itself is really pink right out of the tube, and has a nice Rose fragrance. I wish they made a hard soap out of it.

[Image: vpgUptk.jpg]

[Image: C5srfRU.jpg]

All in all, it's a pretty auspicious start. The brush is incredibly soft on the face, and while it will take a bit to dial in lathering hard soaps, it's pretty good with creams right from the get go.

0 1,137
 03-31-2014, 06:59 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Nice review, Bob.

Synthetics have come a long way since 2000 ... I still prefer my badger brushes though.

102 18,647
 03-31-2014, 07:00 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(03-31-2014, 06:59 AM)Agravic Wrote: Nice review, Bob.

Synthetics have come a long way since 2000 ... I still prefer my badger brushes though.

Absolutely.

26 4,927
 03-31-2014, 07:01 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
That almost looks like one of the H.I.S. brushes.

178 23,807
 03-31-2014, 07:36 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
I prefer the badgers too, FWIW.

Re: similarity to H.I.S. brushes, the odd thing is that the knot doesn't look like their knots in terms of how it's dyed. There is no attempt to make this a faux badger. Second, it is marked as handmade in England, and with the H.I.S. brushes made in Thailand, that would seem to rule them out. This brush seems very different from any of the other brushes from the synthetic makers using the latest generation synthetic knots, be it Muhle, men-u or others. The English manufacture would suggest someone like Edwin Jagger or Vulfix. The knot looks more like the Vulfix synthetic knot or the one from the Body Shop:

[Image: sqcfrOM.jpg]
(image from Fendrihan)

[Image: jKb0ijr.jpg]
(image from The Body Shop)

0 1,137
 03-31-2014, 07:55 PM
User Info
Lovely review and happy shaving! Smile

82 21,077