03-31-2014, 09:12 AM
User Info
I ordered a custom loft Chubby2 Synthetic and received it last week. I knew I wanted the twin to the brush I tested and not a lower lofted version. So obviously I can't compare to the LE colored handle ch2s.

Simpsons is incredibly busy right now and initially I thought I might not be able to obtain the loft I wanted but Mark came through for me. (Thanks Mark!)

So with a number of shaves on the ch2 to get a feel for it, today I used the Franks Shaving 28 x 54 synthetic.

Here they are. I elevated the ch2 to get the knots at the same level. Essentially the knots are the same size.
[Image: DSC04084_zps2b281e11.jpg]

The FS knot has a glue bump that effectively negates a bit of the loft. The ch2 has no glue bump so all of the loft is useable. Would that account for the felt difference in the brushes? I'll leave that question for others to solve.

This ch2 in my cabinet now is essentially the brush I tested. It's really superb. For the past 2 days other than the brush I made the shaves as identical as I could; the only item changed was the brush used. The ch2 feels as soft as velvet. I absolutely can't feel the individual fibers. The velvet is backed up by "spring" or backbone. Compared to a natural fiber brush, more than any NF brush I own, except maybe horse, but that brush is far from soft. A others have written and demonstrated, once one gets through the springiness it works fantastically. This knot is not a limp noodle. At no time did I ever feel any scritch whatsoever. As I wrote, it's just a fantastic brush. The fibers feel as though they've been flagged, it's that soft, almost like gel.

I used the FS brush today. Again, maybe the glue bump is responsible for the performance. It's not nearly as good as the ch2. During the lathering, I face lather exclusively BTW, I could feel each and every fiber in the brush or so it seemed. There is no scritch, but it wasn't as velvety soft a feel as the ch2. This knot has spring to it also.

So is the glue bump responsible for the feel of the FS fibers? Maybe, but again I don't know. I do know that the ch2 is IMO by far the best feeling of the two brushes.

Both are incredible lather makers and performers. The largest differences in lathering is the feel of the fibers on the skin. Neither is bad, one is as soft as velvet.

32 6,445
 03-31-2014, 09:55 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Thanks for the interesting comparison, Brian, it looks like the CH2 with the 53/54mm loft works great. It's a shame the rest of the CH2 Synths sold by Simpsons do not have that loft, though.

26 4,896
 03-31-2014, 10:48 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Thank you Brian, I have been waiting on your review.

175 23,752
 03-31-2014, 10:53 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Thanks for taking the time to write this up Brian. Much appreciated.

I've had the opportunity to use a Plisson Synth recently. Incredibly soft also (I just can't imagine anything softer.) I wonder how the two would compare performance wise. The Plisson has almost convinced me to take up face lathering...

I just can't understand why Simpsons would change the loft so dramatically from the loft size the testers had (54) to lowering it to 48. There was lots of glowing praise from the testers for the performance of the brush at 54. Why do such a sudden change I wonder and risk the performance characteristics?

14 871
 03-31-2014, 11:21 AM
User Info
Attila it was incomprehensible to me as well.

32 6,445
 03-31-2014, 12:19 PM
User Info
This is the corporate idea of what a Chubby should be. It seems to be selling well, so it's not like Simpsons has been proven wrong. They'll look to the marketplace and make changes if called for. Hundreds of custom-loft orders might induce quicker results. Smile

29 1,776
 03-31-2014, 12:31 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
When you were talking about the tips being as soft as velvet I have the same impression with my LE with a loft just under 50mm. Wish I had one with a 54mm loft to compare it too but I don't think I will bother as the shorter loft works fine for me.

Bob

0 1,694
 03-31-2014, 12:54 PM
User Info
Brian excellent review.

1 2,827
 03-31-2014, 05:32 PM
User Info
Very interesting review Brian.

48 5,727
 03-31-2014, 06:33 PM
User Info
What would be different effects of having the 54 loft vs the 49 loft in the CH2S? Make it splay easier? Pardon my noobness just curious of the differences as I just received mine in the Jade handle.

21 368
 03-31-2014, 06:38 PM
User Info
That would be my guess JS. The shorter fibers would be stiffer. But that's only a guess on my part.

I did know that I wanted the brush as I tested it and not something that I didn't test.

32 6,445
 03-31-2014, 07:54 PM
User Info
Brian, great to finally see your review of the brush and glad to hear you are really enjoying it. Smile

82 21,056
 04-01-2014, 07:11 AM
  • Rob W
  • Central IL, USA
User Info
I just got a Chubby 2 Synthetic in Amber and the loft is 52mm. I have only used for one shave thus far. I was very pleased with its performance.

4 633
 04-05-2014, 09:19 PM
User Info
I've found with my 54mm lofted brush that, as anyone who has been following this brush knows, it has a bit of "spring" or what I think of as "synthetic backbone" to overcome to get it to work. But that's only until lather begins to build and naturally keep the fibers spread apart. From that point on, it'll still have backbone, but there is much less work or concern on the part of the user to develop the splay required with this brush. Once lather gets between the fibers just use it like any other brush basically. That's with 54mm of loft I have no idea how the lower lofted ones work.

32 6,445
 04-06-2014, 01:12 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I have one of the lower lofted ones and it performs similarly to yours.

Bob

0 1,694