04-01-2014, 06:54 AM
User Info
My family always comes first. My wife and I decided 6 years ago that she would stay home with the kids. I work 2 jobs to make ends meet. I feel so guilty that I just spent $85 on a new Rooney 1/1 brush. I never thought I'd spend that much on a single item. 2 weeks ago we had an awards ceremony at my full time job. I was the lucky recipient of an award which was accompanied by a gift card for $125. My lovely wife told me to just go ahead and buy something for myself. She actually forced me to place the order. So I ordered the brush and QCS vostok to get the the free shipping.

I started of with a VDH boar which was shedding. So I complained and they sent me a badger. Then I moved up to a a Semogue 620 which is great but I wish it had a shorter loft. Then I was the lucky winner of an EJ badger brush. Very soft and very floppy. Not happy with it at all. I was going to get a whipped dog. Great reviews and more in my price range.

My biggest complaint with all these brushes is the scitch. I think this is what it's called. I feel like little needles going into my skin as I move the brush around my face. Then all this talk about Rooney. The size appears to be what I'm looking for Loft 45 mm and knot 22 mm.

Started prepping for the arrival of my new brush last night. I shave every 3 days. So last night I changed the blade in my EJ89. The blade is a 7 o'clock yellow. To me the first shave is not that great with this blade. So that's why I changed it last night. Prep will be a warm shower with conditioner on the face. The brush will be soaking in the sink with warm water. Soap will be Palmolive shave stick or maybe RazorRock Zi Peppino. This are my top 2 soaps. I'll probablly go with the stick.

If this brush is as great as it sounds. My guilty will change to joy.
Thanks for listening to my story

0 7
 04-01-2014, 07:40 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Life is good. Treat yourself once in a while.Enjoy

68 1,047
 04-01-2014, 07:43 AM
User Info
I have to work on that. Always had trouble treating myself. Even as a kid I never asked for anything. My mother hated shopping for my birthday and Christmas because my requests were so simple. My brothers loved it. There was more money for there gifts.

0 7
 04-01-2014, 07:59 AM
User Info
by what you tell - i think it absolutely perfect that you awarded yourself with a brush you dreamed of. congratulations with your job award - and congratulations with the coming brush Number_one

7 1,624
 04-01-2014, 08:12 AM
User Info
Enjoy life and treat yourself when you can!!

10 399
 04-01-2014, 08:28 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Congratulations on your new brush... I hope it brings you many years of enjoyable shaves. Hopefully you find that the Rooney has zero scritch and is a true pleasure to use.

And thank you very much for sharing your story. I think this brush is a well-deserved reward to yourself Biggrin

34 1,628
 04-01-2014, 08:28 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
I think you made a wise decision in treating yourself, one must enjoy life as much as possible.
A Rooney 1/1 may very well be a great brush for you, since you seem to prefer shorter lofts. What type of hair does it have?

26 4,895
 04-01-2014, 09:14 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Congrats and enjoy.

14 871
 04-01-2014, 09:39 AM
User Info
(04-01-2014, 07:59 AM)tonsorius Wrote: by what you tell - i think it absolutely perfect that you awarded yourself with a brush you dreamed of. congratulations with your job award - and congratulations with the coming brush Number_one

+1

82 21,056
 04-01-2014, 10:08 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(04-01-2014, 06:54 AM)George Wrote: I started of with a VDH boar which was shedding. So I complained and they sent me a badger.

Ouch! I had the same problem 3 years ago. That replacement badger was the absolute worst brush I have ever used. It had a cheap varnished wood handle that started peeling after 1 shave and the hair was insanely prickly.
It absolutely destroyed my face; I couldn't shave for a week, due to needing time to heal.

Congrats on the Rooney and Vostok. We all need a little pampering once in a while.

31 1,510
 04-01-2014, 11:10 AM
User Info
Congratulations on your job award. Definitely treat yourself to something nice once in awhile.

I am sure you will enjoy your new Rooney, if not you can always sell on BST and recuperate your money back. What type of hair is your new Rooney? A picture is in order.

13 133
 04-01-2014, 11:17 AM
User Info
Thanks everyone. I understand now why my wife has so many different lotions, creams, powders, polishes and everything else.

According to the site I purchased from it's "Super" silvertip. I hope it's ready to use out of the box.

0 7
 04-01-2014, 01:28 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
George, from the sounds of it, you are not in the habit of rewarding yourself. You did a good job at work and your employer felt that you deserved a reward. Then your wife felt strongly that you deserved a reward, too. You earned it and your dedication to your family is not in question.

Congratulations on the award from your employer and may you enjoy this well deserved treat. Please let us know how this brush works for you.

- Murray

4 1,150
 04-01-2014, 02:09 PM
User Info
Enjoy the brush. Life goes around only once.

119 13,011
 04-01-2014, 03:45 PM
User Info
(04-01-2014, 06:54 AM)George Wrote: My family always comes first. My wife and I decided 6 years ago that she would stay home with the kids. I work 2 jobs to make ends meet. I feel so guilty that I just spent $85 on a new Rooney 1/1 brush. I never thought I'd spend that much on a single item. 2 weeks ago we had an awards ceremony at my full time job. I was the lucky recipient of an award which was accompanied by a gift card for $125. My lovely wife told me to just go ahead and buy something for myself. She actually forced me to place the order. So I ordered the brush and QCS vostok to get the the free shipping.

I started of with a VDH boar which was shedding. So I complained and they sent me a badger. Then I moved up to a a Semogue 620 which is great but I wish it had a shorter loft. Then I was the lucky winner of an EJ badger brush. Very soft and very floppy. Not happy with it at all. I was going to get a whipped dog. Great reviews and more in my price range.

My biggest complaint with all these brushes is the scitch. I think this is what it's called. I feel like little needles going into my skin as I move the brush around my face. Then all this talk about Rooney. The size appears to be what I'm looking for Loft 45 mm and knot 22 mm.

Started prepping for the arrival of my new brush last night. I shave every 3 days. So last night I changed the blade in my EJ89. The blade is a 7 o'clock yellow. To me the first shave is not that great with this blade. So that's why I changed it last night. Prep will be a warm shower with conditioner on the face. The brush will be soaking in the sink with warm water. Soap will be Palmolive shave stick or maybe RazorRock Zi Peppino. This are my top 2 soaps. I'll probablly go with the stick.

If this brush is as great as it sounds. My guilty will change to joy.
Thanks for listening to my story

George, enjoy the brush.

1 2,827
 04-01-2014, 08:23 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
Thank you for writing your thoughts George, your story helped me slow down and feel so thankful, like you describe yourself above...Congratulations and great choice in present/brush...I am loving my first and only Rooney Super Silvertip and can remember what it felt like imagining the future shaves I'd have with it, all while waiting to receive this luxurious tool. Enjoy your new Rooney ever time you see/hold/use itExclamation

4 794
 04-02-2014, 06:56 AM
User Info
Good on you for keeping first things first!

Since circumstances have allowed you to make this purchase, enjoy it. It is a small luxury you can still enjoy while you put others first and be a modest and careful spender.

0 150
 04-02-2014, 07:03 AM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
This hits home for me right now as well and I have to say... you work your tail off it sounds like so that your family can have the life you want for them. You deserve this. It's an award... for you... enjoy it. Your wife wouldn't tell you to spend it if she didn't think you deserved it. Hopefully the brush is just what you're looking for!

58 1,312