05-06-2012, 11:01 PM
User Info
Can you ship products that contain alcohol in them through Priority Mail or does it have to be through Parcel Post?

0 128
 05-07-2012, 03:24 AM
User Info
It has to go through parcel post. Priority goes through the air and USPS won't ship anything flammable through the air.

I just sent some splashes through PP and I was impressed with how quickly they arrived; one day later than other items I sent Priority.

72 1,407
 05-07-2012, 05:16 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
The post office always asks does the package contain anything that is liquid or fragile with no mention of alcohol. The next time I go to the post office I will ask about shipping anything containing alcohol.

100 12,444
 05-07-2012, 06:38 AM
User Info
According to my own experience, aftershaves apparently are acceptable for air shipping (low enough in alcohol content), but perfumes and EdTs are not.

184 12,003
 05-07-2012, 07:20 AM
User Info
I told my postman I was shipping AS and the only thing he said was about putting it in a ziplock, I told him it was a heavy glass bottle with metal cap and he said, oh that will work... It seems they're more concerned with plastic bottles that can easily be crushed.

Even at the post office... YMMV. lol

9 451
 05-07-2012, 09:56 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I guess I'm in trouble then. I always print my own postage labels and mail everything from home. Last Christmas I sent my son a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue via priority mail.

173 23,538
 05-07-2012, 10:24 AM
User Info
Pssh, the lady today acted like I was shipping 15 cases of Ciroc Vodka. The look on their faces when I told them I what was inside was like I should be ashamed of myself or something or how could I do such an evil thing. She tried to pull one on me and tell me the only way for me to ship it was through overnight shipping. I knew what her game was and I wasn't playing it. They're not getting me to ship nothing overnight and pay absurd amounts so they can cash in on the commission.

0 128
 05-07-2012, 03:18 PM
User Info
You know how many bottles of alcohol, aftershaves, EdT, perfumes etc are in the checked luggage on planes? LotsBiggrin

3 315
 05-07-2012, 03:22 PM
User Info
(05-07-2012, 09:56 AM)Johnny Wrote: I guess I'm in trouble then. I always print my own postage labels and mail everything from home. Last Christmas I sent my son a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue via priority mail.

Ooooooooooo someone's en route to the pokey! Tongue

129 6,685
 05-07-2012, 03:32 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(05-07-2012, 03:22 PM)wingdo Wrote:
(05-07-2012, 09:56 AM)Johnny Wrote: I guess I'm in trouble then. I always print my own postage labels and mail everything from home. Last Christmas I sent my son a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue via priority mail.

Ooooooooooo someone's en route to the pokey! Tongue

Nah, our Johnny is safe. There's probably no evidence left. 24

2 11,211
 05-07-2012, 05:13 PM
User Info
(05-07-2012, 10:24 AM)JonJones84 Wrote: Pssh, the lady today acted like I was shipping 15 cases of Ciroc Vodka. The look on their faces when I told them I what was inside was like I should be ashamed of myself or something or how could I do such an evil thing. She tried to pull one on me and tell me the only way for me to ship it was through overnight shipping. I knew what her game was and I wasn't playing it. They're not getting me to ship nothing overnight and pay absurd amounts so they can cash in on the commission.

The postman at my local office is just like Chong.. Old hippy guy that seems high and ends nearly every sentence with "man". He's awesome.

'I have 2 pounds of hash and 5 gallons of corn lick`r that needs shipped to WV by thursday. Aww, that's cool man. Do you need a box man? Let me tape it man.'

Anyway, if you can, go to another PO, if not, box it up at home. You're not required to tell them the contents and you never sign papers when shipping items, no signature, no contract, no prosecution. Screw `em.

9 451
 05-07-2012, 05:17 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info

I literally laughed out loud when I read this. Johnny the Rebel!!!

116 3,804
 05-07-2012, 06:00 PM
User Info
When it comes to shipping BR I practice "don't ask, don't tell". I haven't had a problem yet. My biggest concern is that the lid doesn't come off enroute which happened once.

Now I put shipping tape over the entire top to prevent the lid from spinning off and to prevent the closure from flipping open.

32 6,309
 05-07-2012, 07:40 PM
User Info
(05-07-2012, 05:13 PM)Johnny9 Wrote:
(05-07-2012, 10:24 AM)JonJones84 Wrote: Pssh, the lady today acted like I was shipping 15 cases of Ciroc Vodka. The look on their faces when I told them I what was inside was like I should be ashamed of myself or something or how could I do such an evil thing. She tried to pull one on me and tell me the only way for me to ship it was through overnight shipping. I knew what her game was and I wasn't playing it. They're not getting me to ship nothing overnight and pay absurd amounts so they can cash in on the commission.

The postman at my local office is just like Chong.. Old hippy guy that seems high and ends nearly every sentence with "man". He's awesome.

'I have 2 pounds of hash and 5 gallons of corn lick`r that needs shipped to WV by thursday. Aww, that's cool man. Do you need a box man? Let me tape it man.'

Anyway, if you can, go to another PO, if not, box it up at home. You're not required to tell them the contents and you never sign papers when shipping items, no signature, no contract, no prosecution. Screw `em.

They have you on camera and your return address on the package. She made it sound like the CIA were gonna come knocking on my door on a Saturday morning carrying me in handcuffs. If it spills I'm pretty sure their mail trucks aren't gonna explode like you see in the movies. The worst case scenario is the clean up from the truck floor being greasy or whatever.

0 128
 05-07-2012, 10:45 PM
User Info
(05-07-2012, 07:40 PM)JonJones84 Wrote: They have you on camera and your return address on the package. She made it sound like the CIA were gonna come knocking on my door on a Saturday morning carrying me in handcuffs. If it spills I'm pretty sure their mail trucks aren't gonna explode like you see in the movies. The worst case scenario is the clean up from the truck floor being greasy or whatever.

1) I've never seen a camera in a PO; however I do live in the country.
2) You don't need a return address. If you want a return address, write it as a fictional name with "general delivery" with the PO's address.
3) Tape the lid shut or put the bottle in a ziplock.

The CIA aren't the ones who will black bag you and kick you in the liver, that would be a job for the BATF. The BATF will black bag you, kick you in the liver, shoot you then burn your house down.

To answer your original question, I've shipped AS via priority mail and the postman watched me box it, but maybe my postman just doesn't care. lol

9 451
 05-07-2012, 11:48 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
This is just some stupid idea some bureaucrat came up with, and theres absolutely no logic behind it. People have been shipping alcohol on planes for ages. Never heard of one blowing up because of it. Also, you know how many people buy alcohol duty free at the airport? A lot

9 541
 05-08-2012, 03:22 PM
User Info
(05-07-2012, 10:45 PM)Johnny9 Wrote: The CIA aren't the ones who will black bag you and kick you in the liver, that would be a job for the BATF. The BATF will black bag you, kick you in the liver, shoot you then burn your house down.

Yes, and do it for just a few dollars of unpaid tax or a suspected paper violation. They also do it at 0'dark thirty, and keep you and the other half naked while they do it.

If it wasn't so serious it would almost be funny when they do it to the wrong address. They aren't the high scorers on the civil servants test. The other alphabet soup agencies get those.

32 6,309
 05-08-2012, 04:09 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
What happens on the plane if the steward drops the box those 100 little bottles of alcohol are in? ................... Nothing.

173 23,538
 05-08-2012, 05:04 PM
User Info
O.K. here is the correct answer. It should be shipped under ORM-D regulations.

This guide identifies many household products by their commonly used name (e.g., perfume rather than perfumery) that help determine mailability. Use this guide to quickly determine the mailing restrictions for potentially dangerous, but common, household products.

Identifying and categorizing hazardous materials can sometimes be difficult due to the technical makeup of the items and the complexity of the regulations surrounding them.

Domestic Mail Manual (DMM) 601.8.0—601.12.0 contains the standards that apply to the mailing of hazardous, restricted, and perishable mail.

Publication 52, Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail, provides important information to help mailers determine what may be mailed and how certain items must be packaged to keep the mail safe. It also provides guidance to USPS employees accepting this mail.

http://pe.usps.com/text/qsg300/Q601.htm

Acetone, rubbing alcohol, witch hazel
ORM-D only (dependent on flashpoint).

Material marked "ORM-D" and shipped by surface transportation does not require hazardous shipping papers, simply an ORM-D and proper shipping name marking on the box. This marking can either be in the form of a ORM-D sticker, or written by hand. If written by hand the letters "ORM-D" must be enclosed by a rectangle. When transported by air, ORM-D shipments require an ORM-D-AIR marking and full hazardous shipping papers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORM-D

Most of the time if it is correctly marked, it will be shipped ground.

1 2,827
 05-08-2012, 06:43 PM
User Info
i had no idea this site was filled with such rebels! Hehe.

75 20,883