04-01-2014, 11:35 AM
User Info
As anyone who uses cameras knows, it's easy to whitewash defects in an item when taking pics of it.

Let me give you an example:

Let's say you have a vintage straight razor. It's in good shape, but has a few scratches on the surface from honing, and maybe a bit of rubbing on the scales. If you use directional lighting when taking pics of it, it will highlight the defects and make sure people know what condition the razor is in. If you use a lightbox and crank up the exposure or turn up the lights a bit, you can completely whitewash the defects (there must be a photography term for this, but I don't know it).

When a potential buyer looks at that pic he/she is not going to see the defects.

I've bought several razors that have been presented in this fashion, only to be a little disappointed when I see the actual state of the razors.

Of course, I understand the need to present the item in the best light - pun intended - but I still feel a little cheated unless the defects are stated in the description.

With straight razors, I've seen people cover up buffed out pitting, hone wear, and other flaws with the right lighting, and I can't help feeling a little cheated when the item gets to me.

I think the most honest shots are those in diffuse natural light - they look good, but also allow a true representation of the item to show through.

And no overexposure please! Angry

39 1,750
 04-01-2014, 11:39 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I understand completely here, Yohann.

Apart from photographic trickery, there is a basic defect in honesty apparent with these sellers. In other words, they should state in words, what is not readily apparent in photos, in an effort to be as objective and fair as possible.

Alas, this is often not the case as you point out ... hence my trepidation with certain auction/sale sites ...

119 19,674
 04-01-2014, 11:40 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Yohann, you want people to be honest! A47 Now there's a novel idea. Tongue

2 5,000
 04-01-2014, 11:55 AM
User Info
it's always a great pleasure when an item turns out to be way better in real life...

i have acquired lots of japanese ceramics through websites - and if the seller is japanese they usually highlight defect(s) with macro - honest and straightforward. blemishes are alright as long as they are pointed out.

7 1,624
 04-01-2014, 12:08 PM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
Its funny often in life it is stated a picture is worth a thousand words yet in this case the opposite is true. I recently experienced and posted about this very thing which happened to me via some very creative photography of an item for sale on ebay. I did clean it up and it came up very nice.
Here, however, in the BST, there is no acceptable excuse for it. While a flaw may not be depicted in a photo, it can and should certainly be described. This creative marketing as some view it is actually simply lying by omission. Sad, but it does occur. It funny but if anything I understate condition rather than overstate it for fear of someone being disappointed.
I will be honest I think the BST should be a place to get deals, good deals, and wetshavers helping each other out. Many times that happens but often here I see prices listed that are a bit ludicrous. When I can buy the same items for the same price new and shipped or for like $5 less but brand new including shipping - that is ridiculous. The BST should not be a moneymaking profit center for members but a trade center where all can benefit. 75% of the time it actually is.
I will say this though,and Im being brutally honest. Here there are several people, that regularly list at high prices, with several friends that back up their asking price with ridiculous statements like. "Oh good deal on that, good luck with the sale" or "Oh that wont last long". Now I know its buyer beware, but if I have been here what a couple months and see that clear as day perhaps it may bear looking into. This is a community that should look out for one another. It's just an observation. Dont get me wrong I love it here. Its my fav forum. Not rocking the boat, just stating my observations.
On the other side, I have acquired a few very nice items at fair prices here in the BST. For that I am grateful. If I were a newer wetshaver however, that sees several veteran members say what a great deal something is, I very well might be taken advantage of.
Sorry I rambled on a bit. Just want the best for this place, really enjoy it here. In fact I have recruited several new members to come here.Staff and members alike have been extremely welcoming and supportive and it has a great vibe. Want it to stay that way.

9 429
 04-01-2014, 12:14 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Well said, Jim.

119 19,674
 04-01-2014, 04:40 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I try to show the actual condition when I take a picture of an item I want to sell, but I am handicapped by a not so good camera and lack of know how when it comes to lighting. If there is a defect that is not showing up in the picture, I note it in the text. That's all I can think of to make up for the lack of quality camera and technique.

If I am the buyer and have a concern with what is visible, I ask for close ups of the area of concern. I have always been accommodated by the seller. I don't think most of the problems are intentional, rather they result from a lack of knowledge and equipment.

19 574
 04-04-2014, 01:42 PM
  • wingdo
  • The Dude Abides
  • Florida
User Info
Sometimes my pics show non-existant flaws and I mention in my ads that the flaw is just camera flash or whatever. Sometimes a small flaw does not show, and I mention the flaw is there just that it didn't show up in the photograph.

129 4,001