04-01-2014, 06:14 PM
User Info
The Horsehair Shaving Brush Movement

[Image: uzxN5zt.jpg] [Image: W1ru1Fk.jpg]

Allow me to introduce myself -I am Oscar Julian, owner and the third generation of my family to operate Vie-Long. Vie-Long has been the leading Spanish manufacturer of shaving brushes since 1940. From the very beginning, our specialty has been the production of horse hair shaving brushes. While we produce badger and boar shaving brushes like all the other shave brush manufacturers, we are the worldwide leader when it comes to horse hair shaving brushes.

Several weeks ago Phil Huntsinger of BullGoose Shaving asked me to write an article about horse hair shaving brushes. I would like to thank Phil for allowing me the opportunity to write an article for the Shave Nook shaving forum to discuss the production of our Vie-Long horse hair shaving brushes

The most important thing about the Vie-Long horse hair brushes is the soft tips that we obtain thanks to our final process of production that we apply to the tips.

We produce our horse hair shaving brushes differently from other manufacturers which is why other manufacturers are unable to produce horse hair brushes with such soft tips. I regret to tell you that I cannot explain the process in detail because it is a trade secret, part of our Know How. We combine modern technology with a careful and traditional handcrafted manufacturing process which strengthens our brand and product prestige in both local and international markets.

Vie-Long horse hair brushes have really caught on with those who are concerned with the humane treatment of animals. Horses are not killed or harmed during collection of hair (unlike badger and boar). The “hair cut” is part of the horses’ care and hygiene. We have seen a surge of interest in horse hair brushes over the past few years and suspect that the “movement” will continue to gain in popularity.

Vie-Long horse brushes have a very good quality to price ratio. We can get a brush with an excellent combination of firm hair and soft tips with a very good price point. The smoothness of the tips is like the best badger brushes but the price is close to the boar brushes. In addition, Horse hair allows very good water retention, much better than the synthetic brushes. As such, we recommend the Vie-Long horse hair brushes for both creams and hard soaps because the brushes work very well.
We produce Vie-Long horse hair brushes in 3 different varieties of natural horse hair; white, black and brown.

[Image: h1V3BQk.jpg] [Image: 2RURel2.jpg]

The quality of the 3 colors is the same, with the same backbone and softness. We mix the hair of mane and tail to get the quality that we need for the production of our Vie-Long horse hair brushes. The percentage is around 35% mane and 65% tail but it is not always used in the exact same percentage in every production - it depends on the raw material received each time. The softness is obtained thanks to the mane and the backbone thanks to the tail.

Our supplier of horse hair is located in Spain and the horse hair come mainly from Spanish horses. The horse hair also comes from South America and Arabian countries where there is a large equestrian tradition. All the hair is sterilized before it is used to make a brush.

0 2
 04-01-2014, 06:22 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Thank you for sharing this information regarding horse hair brushes, Oscar ... very interesting.

102 18,413
 04-01-2014, 06:23 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Welcome aboard the Nook Oscar!

Thank you for sharing your family brush making history with us Cool

I am a proud owner of the 2012 LE BullGoose horse brush your company made with the beehive handle!

Blessings,
James

9 1,684
 04-01-2014, 07:00 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Thank you for this informative article, Oscar. I own two Vie-Long brushes, a full horsehair and a horsehair/boar combination. I enjoy both of them and each remains in my rotation. Smile

2 11,211
 04-01-2014, 07:26 PM
User Info
I own a Vie-Long Horse Hair brush and a badger version in the same handle. I love the horse hair brush, it's my all time favourite brush.

My only issue with it is that it looses a hair or three every use. Is this something that is common with horse hair brushes or do I have a faulty one?

22 645
 04-01-2014, 07:46 PM
User Info
Very informative article and thank you for sharing, Oscar! Smile

82 21,024
 04-01-2014, 10:17 PM
User Info
Thanks for the great information and the pictures. I have the 12705 brush which I use and enjoy regularly. I'm planning to add another Vie-Long to my collection just haven't decided which one yet!

0 221
 04-02-2014, 01:17 AM
  • Exapno
  • Northampton, England
User Info
Thanks for taking the time to write and post that article, I found it very informative. I use synthetic brushes exclusively but my next brush might be a horse hair one and if it is, it will be a Vie-Long brush.

0 132
 04-02-2014, 02:03 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Thank you for this informative article, Oscar. I own one Vie-Long brush, a full horsehair and use it in my regular rotation.

Welcome to The Shave Nook.

[Image: GGzu3z2.jpg]

175 23,757
 04-02-2014, 03:50 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I find horse hair too prickly. The tips don't split, either.

0 1,707
 04-02-2014, 04:13 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
Great to read Oscar.

10 963
 04-02-2014, 04:51 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Thank you for sharing all that information, Oscar!

26 4,842
 04-02-2014, 05:24 AM
User Info
Welcome Oscar and thanks to you and Phil.

0 205
 04-02-2014, 05:26 AM
User Info
Very good article as I have been fortunate to have been given one by a friend. I just used it this morning. Great brush.

0 841
 04-02-2014, 05:34 AM
  • robk
  • New Jersey
User Info
Oscar, thanks for the informative and well-written article.

11 517
 04-02-2014, 05:45 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
Thank you for taking the time to share this information Oscar.

17 535
 04-02-2014, 05:58 AM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
Thanks for the article & pictures Oscar.
I really love my 13061 horse hair brush and I have family from Valencia so I take a bit of pride every time I use it.

2 515
 04-02-2014, 06:29 AM
User Info
Thank you for an interesting article Oscar. I'm about to try my first horsehair brush when Phil receives the new Lord Randal brushes you're making for him.

41 5,078
 04-02-2014, 07:11 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(04-02-2014, 06:29 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Thank you for an interesting article Oscar. I'm about to try my first horsehair brush when Phil receives the new Lord Randal brushes you're making for him.

That should be soon. Oscar informed me that my brushes are shipping today. Biggrin

45 17,741
 04-02-2014, 01:23 PM
User Info
I got a Vie Long brush for Christmas and I thoroughly enjoy using it. Thank you for Posting an interesting article!

0 54