• Exeter, UK
User Info
Very interesting article.

Thanks Oscar. Smile

33 652
 04-02-2014, 02:53 PM
User Info
(04-02-2014, 07:11 AM)bullgoose Wrote:
(04-02-2014, 06:29 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Thank you for an interesting article Oscar. I'm about to try my first horsehair brush when Phil receives the new Lord Randal brushes you're making for him.

That should be soon. Oscar informed me that my brushes are shipping today. Biggrin

Thanks for the update Phil. I'll look forward to them being listed on your website.

48 5,893
 04-02-2014, 03:41 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Thank you for the wonderful article Oscar, and Phil for commissioning it Biggrin!

Its great to get some insight into the often underrated horse hair brushes in our hobby. I've been a fan ever since my first experience with one, and have always enjoyed my Vie-Long Horse hair brushes!

34 1,628
 04-02-2014, 04:35 PM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
I'm the proud owner of a few Vie-Long Horse Hair brushes and they perform on par with my Badger brushes. Thanks for the insight into the makings of the brush.

3 517
 04-02-2014, 08:03 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
Thank you for the article. I appreciate the information.
I have learned to appreciate horse hair as a brush material. Both new and old perform well for the price points they reside at. Most bat way out of their league for quality and may come close to the best Badger in smoothness and lathering. I collect / accumulate brushes and other vintage and antique items and old horsehair is great and has kept its quality over a lot of time.
YMMV
~Richard

8 1,194
 04-03-2014, 06:16 AM
User Info
Thank you for sharing. I hope you'll come back to tell us more about horse hair brush making.

15 771
 04-03-2014, 08:11 AM
User Info
Good read Smile

I love my horse hair brushes - both my pure horse and my mixed horse-boar.

3 4,433
 04-03-2014, 01:30 PM
  • Amzimbo
  • Smooth as a fresh shaven diplomat
  • New Jersey and Mozambique
User Info
Thanks to both Phil and Oscar for making this article happen! I have several of their joint efforts and each is great.

5 85
 04-03-2014, 02:14 PM
User Info
Very interesting read. Thanks for posting.

Just last week I bought a Vie Long 13052 at Pasteur's in NYC. So far I like it a lot!

Sent from my mobile phone.

0 11
 04-04-2014, 04:42 AM
User Info
About 5 years ago I realized everything on the shaving forums was centered around boar and badger brushes. I started posting and asking what about horsehair. All I got was sarcastic replies that a hundred years ago it made people sick and nobody cared. Then I found a link to 3 Claveles horsehair brushes sold by a large firm in Spain, I ended up buying my first horsehair brush, the tallest lofted one with the shiny metal escutcheon at the top of the wooden handle, through which the hair was mounted. I ended up posting reviews on the forums (this was before TSN came along). I also ended up getting more brushes from 3 Claveles for my son and son-in-law. I now know that Vie-Long made those store-branded brushes. My only disappointment is that the horsehair brushes aren't made in taller lofts. The barber brushes with the metal escutcheon are the tallest lofts available, and the knot width at the plug is only about 20 or 21mm. I will take credit for posting about horsehair brushes at a time when I was ignored and laughed at for doing it. I love my horsehair brush. Even though I love the looks of the wide variety of horse brushes that are made by Vie-Long, but can't bring myself to buy any brush with shorter lofts.

24 1,212
 04-04-2014, 01:49 PM
User Info
(04-02-2014, 03:50 AM)Shaun Wrote: I find horse hair too prickly. The tips don't split, either.

You may want to try one of the 50/50 mixes as opposed to the 65/35 mix. They are softer feeling against the face. The lack of splitting is because it is hair, just like badger hairs don't split.

While I do not use them as much as I should, my Vie-Long horse Hairs are excellent brushes and I will probably add a couple more as time allows.

129 6,685
 04-05-2014, 06:23 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Oscar, thank you for a great article. I really enjoy using my Cachurro brush. Looking forward to adding more great brushes from Vie Long.

1 3,507
 04-06-2014, 08:01 AM
User Info
I have a 13061. I like it more every time I use it. Thanks for the interesting article.

3 93
 04-07-2014, 12:35 AM
User Info
I am old but relatively new to brush shaving, I have a brush representation of every brush producing animal including Vie-Long horsehair.

The Vie-Long would be my favourite brush but for one serious problem BO. It stinks. Particularly as I like a warm lather.

I have tried everything recommended including aftershaves. colognes,Febrese, mouthwash, bicarbonate of soda, vinegar,and lately, tomato juice a favourite skunk deodoriser. I smelled like a bottle of ketchup for a few days.

I have heard that the hairs com from the main and the tail. Something smells me I have a tail brush.

I played the double bass for years. My bow never had that farmyard aura.

Hopefully the manufacturers can recommend an effective deodoriser.

Pulleeese!

Mickey

0 53
 04-07-2014, 01:23 AM
User Info
thanks for the article - and i would like to know more!

@mickey
i only use toothbrushes made of horsehair - they certainly don't smell of stable Biggrin

7 1,624
 04-07-2014, 01:58 AM
User Info
Neither my 14033 nor my 13051M smells of anything other than lather... and never has.

@marius; Pick up a Vie Long horsehair - either pure or mixed - from Gifts&Care. They are reasonable cheap eith fast shipping.. if you end up not enjoying it, I might take it of your hands Wink

3 4,433
 04-07-2014, 05:41 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Mickey, I have two Vie-Longs, a horsehair and a horsehair/boar mix. Like Hans, my experience has been that they never smell of anything but the lather I've used. I hope the offensive smell you are experiencing with your brush will die soon because horsehair is excellent, overall, in my opinion.

2 11,211
 04-07-2014, 05:09 PM
User Info
Thank you. I love Vie-Long brushes--horse, badger, and horse-badger blends--so it's good to know a bit more about the process. Hope you will consider returning to some of your past designs over the years, in addition to the current crop. It might be nice to have a "retro" series here.

0 67
 04-08-2014, 05:48 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Thank You Oscar. We always appreciate hearing from manufacturers here and especially one of the better know companies and thank you for taking time out to address us.

I myself own 2 Vie Long brushes. A 14095B in white and a 12651 in brown. They are small in stature but long in effectiveness. They do have a stiff backbone but the tips are soft. They are a bit scratchy, but I like the feel. Mine both lather up a storm and perform as good or better than a good portion of the 11 boars and 1 best badger I own. I got them from the BST and for the price I got a great bargain. I rotate through my brushes on a whim. Grabbing what I feel like using at the time. I usually grab one or the other every 3rd shave so I'm thinking they each get more face time than my other brushes. I haven't ever had a problem with them loosing hair. And the handles are finished quite nicely... Excellent quality. If anyone hasn't tried a Vie Long Horse, I'd recommend one. If you don't like it I'm sure it would be easy to sell...

5 1,151
 04-09-2014, 11:44 AM
  • Fab
  • New York, NY
User Info
Thanks for this very informative article, specially on a hair that is not as talked as boar or badger. I may give this a try, sounds very interesting.

10 486