04-02-2014, 07:37 PM
User Info
Originally convinced that I was a mild razor devotee, I became attracted to the ATT 5 piece system because of reviews of owners. After an email exchange with Stan at Above The Tie, I decided to take the plunge with an Atlas 5 piece OC razor system.

When it arrived, I opened it and marveled. Really! I have a medical background, and the quality of steel and machining on this razor reminded me of stainless steel operating room gear. I looked at the 3 baseplates, and selected the R2 as my first trial. I planned on using this for 2 weeks to adjust to the well known efficiency ( at the time this translated to BBS with a skin peel Undecided ) of the R2.

I had messaged with a few owners, and the most common advice given was very shallow blade angle followed by no pressure from the hand. I drilled this into my brain with a 3/4" bit Rolleyes before I proceeded.

I chose Wet Shave Obsession Louie's Coconut Lime as my test soap. I love this stuff, it gives a consistent excellent protective lather IME. Prep was a generous hot water face rinse followed by hot towel to the face for a couple minutes, then a glycerin soap wipe and finger lather ( my usual prep ). Lathered up the LCL with a 24mm TGN Finest and off to the races.

Holding the razor with handle parallel to the floor, I started a short stroke as I dropped the handle. I started hearing the hairs cut at what I thought was a surprisingly shallow angle ( little did I know that previous to this my shallow angle was not that shallow Dodgy ). I kept to short strokes so angle and pressure were easier to keep track of. The feel and balance of the razor felt perfect to me.

WTG pass - I could feel the blade for sure, but no tugging at all, very smooth. XTG nose to ear pass followed, just as smooth as the first. ATG on my face is a 45d angled up XTG nose to ear - after this I only had a bit of chin and high neck that needed a little buff. DFS+ on the neck and chin, BBS on the cheeks. A little burn from an alum stick but not bad.

I did this daily for a week, and the alum burn became much less, less buffing was needed if I skin stretched during the XTG passes. My wife commented that it looked like I was having fun! Of course she has NOOOOO idea how much fun... Biggrin

The first week went so well, I decided to try the H2 for a few days. Definitely a bit more efficient than the R2 - immediately after I feel BBS with both plates, but the BBS lasted longer with the H2. When I shaved the next morning, I could skip the WTG pass because the stubble was barely there. The H2 was no harder to use than the R2 plate. But now - probably because my guard was down - I had a weeper here and bit of irritation there - usually because I either increased the angle or lost my attention and brought bare blade to skin. The H2 / R2 will shave fine with a less shallow angle, but for me skin irritation sets in as the top layers get planed away Nono

I really like shaving with this razor, it is my go to razor now. Once a week I will pull out something else from my collection, and I'm finding the ATT is schooling me in better technique with the razors I already own. I "thought" I was paying attention before Rolleyes, but now I seem to notice more.

Next project is comparing the Atlas H2 with a Muhle 2013 R41.

Whoops - did I mention I am no longer a mild razor devotee...

18 194
 04-02-2014, 08:57 PM
User Info
Congratulations, David and enjoy the razor! Smile

82 21,056
 04-02-2014, 10:42 PM
User Info
Thanks celestino! It sure is a fun tool!

Até amanhã -David

18 194
 04-03-2014, 01:59 AM
User Info
ATT is a nice piece of kit. Glad you're enjoying it.

6 358
 04-03-2014, 04:20 AM
User Info
The ATT razors are outstanding and the quality second to none.

119 13,006
 04-03-2014, 04:31 AM
User Info
I completely agree with you about the need to maintain a shallow angle with these razors. Yesterday I had my first actual bad shave with my Kronos R2. It was my first time using it with a Personna Lab blade, and I also haven't used it much with the Mama Bear's soap so either of those could have been a factor. The end result was a much more irritated neck than I've had in a long time.

But today I used the same setup but paid more attention to having a shallow angle. I used the same trick to place the end cap flat against my face and adjust until I can feel the blade. And today's result was worlds better. It was a nick-free near-BBS that felt smooth and comfortable.

10 2,062
 04-03-2014, 06:37 AM
User Info
Learned a hard lesson this a.m. I put in a new blade in the R1 and began under my nose like I usually do. Uh oh! Took a chunk out right under my nose.

I was tired and in a hurry and did not confirm the razor was assembled properly before shaving. This time it wasn't. First time I've ever had this mishap and reminder to always check the ATT head after putting in a new blade. Make sure it is assembled and seated properly.

Lesson learned.

6 358
 04-03-2014, 06:50 AM
  • 01HDFXD
  • Philadelphia & New Orleans
User Info
I want one bad, so it's at the top of my birthday/Christmas wish list.

0 23
 04-03-2014, 09:47 AM
User Info
I have an Atlas R2 in route, feeling excited to try a more aggressive razor.

13 133
 04-03-2014, 09:01 PM
User Info
Jerry - thanks, I think so too!

John - thanks for the comment. I am always surprised how shallow the angle can go, as well as how my light touch one day turns out to be not so light the next!

Al - I hear you on this one. Happened to me and I had the blade aligned. Just careless about position and put naked blade to face with an unplanned sideways movement - instant dueling scar!!! Hope the ladies like itRolleyes Yes, sometimes those little dots on the cap that capture the ends of the blade aren't engaged if I don't pay attention, and the blade will not seat when tightened. Sorry the lesson was at the expense of your nose. Hey, that's dueling scar!!!

01HDFXD - ATT seems to be doing a good business, so I'm sure they will be around long enough for you to get one on a special occasion! BTW, I must say you are living in two fabulous cities. I am a bit envious! I have very good memories of both.

Mike - Since you are a person who professionally knows his way around precision steel instruments, you are in for a treat. Descriptions and pictures just can't convey how well machined the razor is. I have no second thoughts wiping mine down lovingly after each use!!! I look forward to your impressions of using it...

18 194
 04-04-2014, 11:23 AM
  • 01HDFXD
User Info
(04-03-2014, 09:01 PM)davidsilva Wrote: ... 01HDFXD - ATT seems to be doing a good business, so I'm sure they will be around long enough for you to get one on a special occasion! BTW, I must say you are living in two fabulous cities. I am a bit envious! I have very good memories of both...
That's what I'm hoping, and thanks for the comments about PHL and NOLA. Of course, one could say the same to you about SF.

0 23
 04-07-2014, 01:51 PM
User Info
I ordered the 7 piece solid bar set. Just finished using the M1 and about to try the R1 this week. Interested in when the travel case and the new handle prototype will be available

21 368
 04-07-2014, 01:59 PM
User Info
Nice kit....Congrats! I have both the ATT Kronos M1 & M2 and they are great shavers....

10 399
 04-07-2014, 05:12 PM
User Info
JS
Hey, congratulations! Do you have both the Atlas and Kronos handles setup with their own cap and baseplate? I have seen folks write about that kind of setup.

If you need a travel case, you could give our fellow member Sanch a pm. He has a thread in the Artisan Corner caller "Run of 8" showing a fine 3 piece razor travel case. I bought the Cordovan one. Very nice quality. He will do custom work too if you have an idea of what you want. He is a true gentleman to work with.

Hey Wallace, now that you've had some time with both plates, what differences do you notice between the M1 and M2 plates? Curious minds want to know :Wink:

18 194
 04-08-2014, 11:01 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I did a test yesterday with the R1 and R2 and the R2 is so nice...smoother and very effective.....that does not criticize the R1....I just liked that R2 after a 2 day test shave...I have 4 plates M1...R1....H1 and my new favorite R2....

6 1,994
 04-08-2014, 03:13 PM
  • srgjazz
  • Santa Monica
User Info
I have been debating between a H2 and a R2.

47 677
 04-08-2014, 06:59 PM
User Info
Harvey
Thanks for the post. Stan at ATT states the OCs are smoother than the SB, but of course, like everything, I've read posts where YMMV...

srgjazz - what razors do you have in your stable now? If you have something like an R41, then I would say the H2 baseplate. If you buy directly from ATT, you can check out a plate for a whole month and then exchange it for another. No risk. Personally although I like both I tend to reach for the R2 regularly...

18 194
 04-16-2014, 07:48 AM
User Info
Just in - hot off the press...

I was having a discussion with a friend about steep angle shaving with the Muhle R41, when he wondered if it could be done with one of the ATT razor combos.

I decided to take the challenge, selected the H2 as the most comparable plate to the R41, and used a Gillette Silver Blue on it's second day. Results?

S C O R E !!! Steep angle shave with the ATT H2 works just as well as with an R41. Maybe a smidgen better considering I had hardly any buffing to do after wtg-xtg-atg passes!

18 194
 04-16-2014, 12:55 PM
  • 01HDFXD
User Info
BTW, have you seen the new 4" handle that Stan is getting ready to carry? It's called the Colossus, and I can't wait for that puppy to hit the shelves. I'm hoping a loved one will decide to get me an ATT for some happy occasion...

0 23
 04-16-2014, 01:00 PM
  • robk
  • New Jersey
User Info
David, congrats.

I received an R2 Atlas two days ago. It took one day to get accustomed to it. Today, the second shave, was all it took to convince me that this razor is perfect for me.

My belief as of this morning is that if you can't find a head/handle combo from Stan & ATT that works for you, then it's time to start growing a beard.

ATT rewards and encourages good technique.

11 517