05-07-2012, 12:12 PM
User Info
Had a puck of this that I purchased 3-4 years ago, wonderful stuff as far as the lather and the scent. Yeah, it could be a touch drying in the winter but no big deal.

Got a new puck a few months ago and haven't really used it much because I have so many soaps and creams in the rotation. Because I store it uncovered, I often grab it or my Eshave puck to de-funk brushes. When I do this, I don't often pay attention to the quality of the lather because I'm using a ton of water.

Anyway, over the weekend I tried to shave with my new puck and couldn't get a decent stable lather out of it. After the shave, I made 4-5 test lathers using 3 different brushes and got the same result, disappearing lather. I load heavily, btw, and even my new SOC boar wasn't doing the trick. Since the puck has been well used (mostly for defunking) at least 1/3 of it is gone, so the "skin" issue with new pucks isn't the issue here.

My conclusion is that either Cade doesn't like the water where I'm living now, I got a "bad" puck, or something in the formula has changed.

Given the recent horde of duds coming out of the UK factories, the latter would not surprise me.

Any other experienced soap users, or experienced CADE users encounter this? I'm gonna give it one more shot tonight, and if it doesn't work it's out of the rotation.

0 189
 05-07-2012, 12:49 PM
User Info
I haven't tride cade, but I've had a similar issue with an older tallow soap before. I tried a few different brushes and ranged from almost no water to sopping wet. None of which worked very well for me. Being a cheapskate, I ended up grating it with the slivers of other soaps from rotation and ended up with a decent franken-soap. If that doesn't appeal to you, just pitch it. No sense in wasting time with product that doesn't work for you.

18 568
 05-07-2012, 02:20 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
I have a puck that I use every so often that I picked up about 6 months ago that seems to work fine. In the beginning I had a bit of a hard time lathering it but changed the technique on it where it works just fine.

I haven't heard of any recent reformulations with the soap (the cream I think I read was just reformulated back to an original formulation) so it may be a bad puck or it doesn't agree with your water anymore.

0 353
 05-07-2012, 03:02 PM
User Info
My puck of Cade was purchased about 8 months ago and seems to work well. However, I don't have a point of reference from an older puck to compare to. I certainly hope that you can get a good lather from it and keep using it. If not, I doubt you'll have much trouble unloading it here.

Godspeed!

31 7,914
 05-09-2012, 12:12 AM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
Cade isn't coming from the UK, so I highly doubt thats the issue. It is known to be finicky. I think water makes a big difference. Here in San Diego we have horrendously hard tap water. Really, just pitiful. I used to get the most decadent lather from it when I was living in St. Louis, but recently its been an issue. And I'm using the same puck, so that certainly isn't the problem. Try some filtered water. You may need to adjust your loading technique. I just used mine for the first time in nearly 2 months. Many soaps perform better when used regularly. So if you have a large rotation, try to keep at it to see if that helps

9 541
 05-09-2012, 06:09 AM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
I just thought of this - have you given it a try with distilled water? At least then you'd know it's your water.

0 353
 05-09-2012, 07:57 AM
User Info
(05-09-2012, 06:09 AM)Brent Wrote: I just thought of this - have you given it a try with distilled water? At least then you'd know it's your water.

Not yet, but I may give it a try over the weekend. It's not something that I'd be able to put up with for daily shaves though.

0 189
 05-09-2012, 02:28 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
My friend :

I have used 3 pucks purchased in 3 different stores (2 in USA,one in Spain) on different times,and never got a problem with any of the soaps.The most recent one I got it in CA and worked perfectly fine.The others I sent them to friends and no problems either.

I think you might got a bad puck or something its wrong with the water where you live,but I have extremely hard water where I live and no problem getting lather from it.

86 7,123
 05-11-2012, 03:04 PM
User Info
I bought a sample of Cade, and had tons of trouble getting a stable lather from it. I chalked it up to it being a grated sample, but maybe there is something to this...

1 69
 05-12-2012, 05:08 AM
User Info
(05-11-2012, 03:04 PM)Russianrat Wrote: I bought a sample of Cade, and had tons of trouble getting a stable lather from it. I chalked it up to it being a grated sample, but maybe there is something to this...

Typically, a grated soap should load easier sooooo...

31 7,914
 05-12-2012, 06:27 AM
User Info
I got a puck of Cade a couple of months ago and it lathers nicely. It's one of my favorite soaps.

4 112
 05-12-2012, 06:40 AM
User Info
No problems with Cade here! And I've already finished an entire puck (going trough another lately).

2 5,532
 05-12-2012, 09:08 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
So I just used this soap today and wanted to share a few pointers.

This soap has a reputation for being finicky. I'll admit, I myself have had issues trying to get it to lather since moving to San Diego where the water is hard. Today I got a fantastic lather though, so I wanted to share my thoughts while they are still fresh.

Cade to me epitomizes the problems that newbies have with soaps. It is finicky because people don't use enough product and use too much water. You know how some products love water? Such as the AOS cream, or Mike's soaps. Well, cade HATES water.

Take your brush. Squeeze it gently to remove the water, and try loading from the puck. The soap is actually a bit soft when wet from the lingering water, and so it loads rather easily. If you have too much water in the knot all you will end up with is a frothy, soapy mess. If this happens, dump off the water from the puck, squeeze all the rubbish lather and water out of your brush, and start loading again. In my experience, while many soaps will let you continue to load and correct the issue of using too much water from the start, cade will not. It just gets more and more airy and frothy and people proclaim, well, this is trash. It's just the nature of the beast. With some practice, you'll find this produces copious amounts of richly slick and moisturizing lather worthy of the best shaves.

So there you have it. If you're having trouble, try some of this advice and see if it helps. I have horrendously hard water. So if I can get a good lather with my tap water than I'm sure most everyone can as well

9 541
 05-12-2012, 09:12 PM
User Info
Excellent advice. I usually use a wetter brush so I'll have to try this next time. Thanks.

31 7,914
 10-13-2013, 11:47 AM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
Haven't tried it in years. I remember loving the scent but it dried my face like crazy.

I may have to give it another try as I really like the French veggie soaps

13 599
 10-13-2013, 06:59 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Funny this thread was resurrected from over a year ago. Just last week, I threw away my puck of Cade in frustration. The lather I was getting from it was just a touch better than Caswell Massey. Unstable, drying to my skin, airy, just awful. But please don't suggest that I didn't try lathering it with the right technique. I tried everything on this soap, and if it takes that much effort, it belongs in the garbage. I loaded with a dry brush, a wet brush, and everything in between. I loaded for minutes at a time, and then, just to see, I loaded like I do MdC (15-30 seconds). I tried distilled water. I tried multiple brushes. I grated the puck to make it load more easily. I yelled at the soap and called it names. I complimented the soap and and put it in one of my nicest bowls. Cade was just not giving up the good lather.

So when the OP suggests he may have had a dud puck, I believe him. It's too bad, because Cade smells fantastic.

Andrew

43 1,690
 10-13-2013, 07:38 PM
  • JaDo
  • Dallas, TX
User Info
I heard it has been reformulated with a stronger scent. Perhaps, the performance is better now, too.

6 235