04-03-2014, 09:44 AM
User Info
Hello everyone,

It seems to me that current Simpsons Best hair (TSN P8) is really the best out there. Soft, natural, beautiful, and not too expensive. But is/was there an even better grade of best? Perhaps.

[Image: SQRbODx.jpg]

Long, white tips with more backbone and light, even scritch than current Best without the occasional prickliness displayed by the Super grade. This is the brush in question:

[Image: NXzCYaQ.jpg]

Huge knot, lofty, but still with backbone--you have to work to splay it out. How white are those tips?

[Image: 3exn5sy.jpg]

And they would appear even whiter if the brush were not damp. The tips are brighter than most of my Simpsons 2 bands.

Interesting to note that the darker band has a reddish tint to it as opposed to the usual straight brown.

Is this hair still on the market? Was it unique to the monster Somerset PL brushes that needed the long loft with backbone? I am really curious what you think.

Regards,

ntr(nwu)

1 255
 04-03-2014, 10:10 AM
User Info
sorry i don't know the answer to your question - but i'm always amazed by snow white badger knots. they don't come in extreme whiteness from mother nature.

7 1,624
 04-03-2014, 10:55 AM
User Info
I think it's pretty commonly accepted that recent 2 band hair, at least, is bleached to one degree or another, by some artificial means.

5 90
 04-03-2014, 11:10 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I've owned several older Simpsons (past 3-10 years) and to me the best badger in todays Simpsons is a better grade of hair. I've never had better best badger than what's in my P8 and Chubby 1.

175 23,752
 04-03-2014, 11:20 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Many years ago, my dad had a fur business and traded with many Chinese Furriers for fox pelts, and yes, even back then there was an issue with bleaching as Winter-phase pelts command a much higher price than summer phase coats do, so I'm sure it still exists today.

Recently, I asked one notable Chinese brush-maker about the whiteness of their tips and they remarked that "some bleaching" is normal to remove residue from harvesting, which is total balderdash... Badger hair is like any other and can be left intact on the skin after processing. It does not require bleaching to remove any residue as the hide processing itself removes those contaminants...Also...EVERYONE spot cleans their fur at 212*F so bleaching is not needed...

No one even wanted 2-band badger until just a few years ago, and now look how crazy it has become...Supply and demand...today it is while tips, tomorrow it is all black...yep...

71 1,468
 04-03-2014, 12:21 PM
User Info
Very interesting comments, Crag. Thank you for chiming in. The seasonal coat variations would be very interesting to see demonstrated with actual badger pelt examples. I would love to know more...

In terms of 2 band badger being a recent phenomenon, I concur about the recent explosion of interest in this "look." However I have seen a lot of old brushes (50+ years) with the 2 band appearance, which can be achieved in a variety of ways.

Johnny, I agree about the great Best hair. I have a recent CH1 Best that is also very nice.

[Image: jzEHQKo.jpg]

But the question specifically pertains to the unusual Best hair used on the Somerset uber-brush PL14. Did the exceptionally long loft necessitate sourcing a different hair grade from a different source?

I think this is really different hair from the average Somerset Best and more akin to really good Somerset Super.

(04-03-2014, 11:10 AM)Johnny Wrote: I've owned several older Simpsons (past 3-10 years) and to me the best badger in todays Simpsons is a better grade of hair. I've never had better best badger than what's in my P8 and Chubby 1.

1 255
 04-03-2014, 04:11 PM
User Info
The quality of Simpson's Best may also vary dependant on the brush. I've seen the current Polo 14 in Best at Aesop, it's an extremely high quality hair.

23 474
 04-03-2014, 09:08 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(04-03-2014, 11:20 AM)Crag Wrote: No one even wanted 2-band badger until just a few years ago, and now look how crazy it has become...

Correct, Plisson (for example) always viewed 2 band as inferior (despite their largest and most expensive brushes featuring it)...

99 18,011
 04-03-2014, 09:11 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(04-03-2014, 04:11 PM)mixershave Wrote: The quality of Simpson's Best may also vary...

Being a natural product there will always be variation between batches.

Recent noticeable changes can be found with the current softer Best and SilverTip (or 2 band) from Simpson...

99 18,011
 04-04-2014, 12:38 PM
User Info
All of this is very interesting--thanks for the replies.

With its loft of 66mm, this brush would easily be 2 band if the loft were decreased to the 50mm range, especially if the knot were more bulb shaped. So is this PL14 Simpsons Best actually extra long 2 band hair with enough loft that the third band shows?

This brush doesn't have a glue bump, but the base of the knot as it enters the handle is very firm, suggesting there isn't a tremendous amount of hair inside the handle.

The whiteness of the tips would suggest that since I have never seen best hair this white. It would be interesting to get it side by side with an Aesop.

1 255
 04-04-2014, 01:35 PM
User Info
Wow, that is a beautiful knot! Smile

82 21,056