04-03-2014, 11:50 AM
User Info
So I recently acquired this fine soap from an esteemed member of this forum (thanks, John!) and finally shaved with it last night. The scent is great! I have the EdC but hadn't used it in a while and was certain that it didn't smell as good as the soap...

of course the performance was stellar as well. I also have DRH lavender and some others such as TH Luxury Shaving Soap (which gets no love her), but this is far and away the best lavender of the lot! Anyone else care to share an opinion?

David

33 548
 04-03-2014, 12:27 PM
User Info
One of my favorite soaps - great performer!

If you like lavender, suggest you try Mike's Hungarian Lavender, its quite special! (and my favorite).

53 1,199
 04-03-2014, 12:27 PM
User Info
It's a great soap, to be sure.

It isn't really a pure lavender soap, though, so it's not really fair to compare it with, for example, DRH lavender.

If I had to choose a straight lavender, I'd go with Mystic Water's Jeff's Lavender. Second choice would probably be King Louis Lavender from RazoRock.

2 1,461
 04-03-2014, 01:07 PM
User Info
I should have said something to the effect of lavender based frags as OC is not a straight up lavender.

After some issues with communication, I've given up on Mike's and Mystic Waters didn't do it for me. I've also tried, and sold, RR King Louis...just never reached for it...

33 548
 04-03-2014, 02:39 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
O&C is my favorite of all shave soap scents, but have to agree with Randall about it not being a pure lavender. Of the pure lavender scents, Castle Forbes tops the list for me.

0 1,137
 04-03-2014, 07:51 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I'm not quite sure what "pure" lavender means. There are a lot of different lavender scents. English lavender is different that a French lavender, which in turn is different than Hungarian lavender, and there are an infinite variety of those. I'm surrounded by private lavender fields, and to my nose Czech and Speake O&C is as close to a "pure" lavender as one can get. However, all I really care about is a soap that performs well for me and with a scent that I enjoy, "purity" aside. C&S, Mike's, and Mystic Water meet those criteria for me.

38 5,113
 04-04-2014, 05:56 AM
User Info
(04-03-2014, 07:51 PM)evnpar Wrote: I'm not quite sure what "pure" lavender means. There are a lot of different lavender scents. English lavender is different that a French lavender, which in turn is different than Hungarian lavender, and there are an infinite variety of those. I'm surrounded by private lavender fields, and to my nose Czech and Speake O&C is as close to a "pure" lavender as one can get. However, all I really care about is a soap that performs well for me and with a scent that I enjoy, "purity" aside. C&S, Mike's, and Mystic Water meet those criteria for me.

Agreed that there are a bunch of different lavender scents, ranging from very soft and floral on the one end to very dense and almost medicinal on the other. I would consider all of them to be "pure" lavender scents provided the only scent note in the soap was some type of lavender essential oil.

O&C is lavender plus a prominent mint note.

That's all I was saying. And like the OP said, he really wanted to just talk about lavender-based or lavender-predominant soaps, in which case I would probably agree with him that O&C is pretty much the best there is.

If anything, I prefer the scent of O&C to any of the pure lavender soaps on the market, and the lather doesn't take a back seat to any soap, in my opinion.

The only problem I have with O&C is its price.

2 1,461
 04-04-2014, 06:18 AM
User Info
+1

(04-04-2014, 05:56 AM)kingfisher Wrote: O&C is lavender plus a prominent mint note.......... and the lather doesn't take a back seat to any soap, in my opinion.

The only problem I have with O&C is its price.

53 1,199
 04-04-2014, 07:35 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
Although I never tried Czech Speake. IMHO I think Tabula Rasa's Dark Lavender is the best.

10 963
 04-23-2014, 02:54 AM
User Info
Guys just had my first go with this soap and to sum it up it's truly a treasure.

The scent is simply beautiful and the performance, fantastic!

When I focused my attention on the scent alone, I initially overthought it and got lost in the complex aroma, neither smelling like this or that.

However, as I relaxed; gently face lathering my silvertip from a hot scuttle the aroma began to gentle surround me and subconsciously I felt transported to green countryside with wafts of fresh lavender. To me I liken it to seeing the landscape in the corner of your eye. In short I love products which feel natural and gentle and to me the scent is just that.

As for performance, it was a home run. My Feather AS-D2 achieved a stellar BBS in 2 passes with a touch up under the chin and mouth. I liken it to my top shelf bench mark, the tallow Penhaligon's English Fern. Not as much cushion as the later, but the shave was just as good! and that is huge!

I plan on making a more detail review with pictures, but for those sitting on the fence it certainly will be in my rotation and sits among some of the very best I have which includes Pens EF (tallow), XPEC original, MDC Forgure, ADP Colonia, Castle Forbes, Boelis Panama.

1 167
 04-23-2014, 04:16 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Isn't great to find a product that just fits well for you?

Darn-Hit enter before I was done rambling. We're pretty fortunate to find so many great products to choose from. This Forum has helped me tremendously to guide me to products that are part of my rotation

19 742
 04-26-2014, 12:33 PM
User Info
My favorite lavenders are these four:

C&S

Mike's Hungarian Lavender

Jabonman Lavanda / Citpres / Bergamota

Scottish Fine Soaps Classic Male Grooming

129 6,685
 04-26-2014, 12:43 PM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
O and C hasn't grown on me yet. I'm still partial to the "synthetic" scent of TOBS lavender soap

17 439
 04-26-2014, 12:46 PM
User Info
It is a complex luxury soap for sure. I just haven't used it in over a year as I pretty much stay with MdC Fougere. I do think it is fantastic however and would rank in my Top 5 soaps/creams.

19 775
 04-26-2014, 12:58 PM
User Info
The scent is not my favorite of the lavenders, but performance wise C&S soaps are very top tier.

129 6,685
 04-26-2014, 07:08 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Oxford & Cambridge is a magnificent soap. Stellar scent. Outstanding lather. Phenomenal post-shave feel. Truly in a class by itself.

43 1,700
 04-26-2014, 09:45 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(04-03-2014, 11:50 AM)daverasi Wrote: So I recently acquired this fine soap from an esteemed member of this forum (thanks, John!) and finally shaved with it last night. The scent is great! I have the EdC but hadn't used it in a while and was certain that it didn't smell as good as the soap...

of course the performance was stellar as well. I also have DRH lavender and some others such as TH Luxury Shaving Soap (which gets no love her), but this is far and away the best lavender of the lot! Anyone else care to share an opinion?

David

David,
I didn't blink an eye. I have no doubt or surprise that you found the performance of C&S to far exceed that of the others you mention.

(04-23-2014, 02:54 AM)BossShave Wrote: Guys just had my first go with this soap and to sum it up it's truly a treasure.

The scent is simply beautiful and the performance, fantastic!

When I focused my attention on the scent alone, I initially overthought it and got lost in the complex aroma, neither smelling like this or that.

However, as I relaxed; gently face lathering my silvertip from a hot scuttle the aroma began to gentle surround me and subconsciously I felt transported to green countryside with wafts of fresh lavender. To me I liken it to seeing the landscape in the corner of your eye. In short I love products which feel natural and gentle and to me the scent is just that.

As for performance, it was a home run. My Feather AS-D2 achieved a stellar BBS in 2 passes with a touch up under the chin and mouth. I liken it to my top shelf bench mark, the tallow Penhaligon's English Fern. Not as much cushion as the later, but the shave was just as good! and that is huge!

I plan on making a more detail review with pictures, but for those sitting on the fence it certainly will be in my rotation and sits among some of the very best I have which includes Pens EF (tallow), XPEC original, MDC Forgure, ADP Colonia, Castle Forbes, Boelis Panama.

Glad you enjoyed it as much as I thought you would!! Good to see you took the plunge! I knew it would be worth it.

59 2,825
 09-27-2015, 03:58 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
O & C is my favorite soap of all the ones I have and it's the scent that puts it there. Performance-wise my three old Yardleys are firmly at the top.

7 2,328
 09-27-2015, 06:19 AM
  • Csd3
  • Denver, Co
User Info
Cant argue about the performance but for my skin its a little drying, post shave.

7 325
 09-27-2015, 06:30 AM
User Info
Top 3 Lavender Soaps (Including Performance and Scent)

Barrister & Mann - Lavender (Black Label)
Mike's Natural Soaps - Hungarian Lavender
Mystic Water - Jeff's Lavender (Bulgrarian Lavender)

0 32