04-03-2014, 03:15 PM
User Info
Pet peeve. Many members post the same identical thread on more than one forum. I acknowledge there are no rules prohibiting this, but to me it seems bad form at best, and poor etiquette at worst.

Maybe I'm a grumpy soon to be old man. I don't know. If I post something I try to keep it unique to the forum I'm on. My ATT thread may or may not have value to others. Whether it did or not, I chose to post it here and no place else. It seems egotistical to post the identical thread in more than one forum. If there is an upside, it's that I get to figure out what members are called on each forum when they choose to cross dress, er, I mean go cross forum. Many use different names.

So I put it to y'all. Should the identical thread be posted on other forums?

6 358
 04-03-2014, 03:19 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Do you mean duplicate posts on different threads here on TSN for example, or duplicate posts/threads across different forums, i.e. TSN and another shaving forum?

I have no issue with a member posting similar threads here on TSN and on another forum ... as there may be different or unique responses depending on the audience.

As for duplicate posts within a forum, i.e. TSN, I can understand the frustration of seeing the same thing repeated on different threads. In the big scheme of things, this is not the worst thing to worry about ... and from a moderator's perspective, cumbersome to 'police' ...

102 18,548
 04-03-2014, 03:24 PM
User Info
I'm talking about the same post on TSD, TSN, B&B & etc.

Occasionally I see the same posts under different threads here on the Nook, but that is rare.

6 358
 04-03-2014, 03:30 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I post my SOTD post on three different forums and one facebook shaving forum. I post it here first then copy and paste it on the other forums.

I made a post today about being on a diet. I copied and pasted it on one other forum and the facebook forum.

There are members here that see these where ever I post them, then there are members that only see them on one forum or the other.

If all someone does is visit TSD or B&B they won't see my post.

175 23,752
 04-03-2014, 03:39 PM
User Info
I double-post myself between the Nook and the Den (I'd rather eat glass than visit @@@@Smile ) and I don't see that being an issue (but granted, I may be biased). To me it's like posting on Instagram and have the setting turned on to auto-share the post on Twitter.

moderator edit: name of other forum removed per rules ... no negative comments about other forums please.
Ravi

0 338
 04-03-2014, 04:54 PM
User Info
I don't see an issue with it as there are many folks on either forum that are not on others.

31 1,800
 04-03-2014, 05:52 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
I see no problem with posting the same thing on different forums. In that case, you are posting to different audiences, albeit with some overlap, and the responses are often different.

Like Johnny, I post my SOTDs to 4 forums, copying and pasting into two of them and translating into Portuguese for the other.

It's all good.

- Murray

4 1,150
 04-03-2014, 05:53 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(04-03-2014, 05:52 PM)CMur12 Wrote: I see no problem with posting the same thing on different forums. In that case, you are posting to different audiences, albeit with some overlap, and the responses are often different.

Like Johnny, I post my SOTDs to 4 forums, copying and pasting into two of them and translating into Portuguese for the other.

It's all good.

- Murray

Same here. See no problems about it!y

26 4,891
 04-03-2014, 06:20 PM
User Info
(04-03-2014, 03:15 PM)Aimless1 Wrote: Pet peeve. Many members post the same identical thread on more than one forum. I acknowledge there are no rules prohibiting this, but to me it seems bad form at best, and poor etiquette at worst.

Maybe I'm a grumpy soon to be old man. I don't know. If I post something I try to keep it unique to the forum I'm on. My ATT thread may or may not have value to others. Whether it did or not, I chose to post it here and no place else. It seems egotistical to post the identical thread in more than one forum. If there is an upside, it's that I get to figure out what members are called on each forum when they choose to cross dress, er, I mean go cross forum. Many use different names.

So I put it to y'all. Should the identical thread be posted on other forums?

Wait - I think I saw this "Forum Etiquette" posting on other forums! Hahahahahahahha

0 295
 04-03-2014, 07:20 PM
User Info
Seeing as how I seldom go other places...

...the Nook is a one-stop shop for all my shaving forum needs Biggrin

3 4,370
 04-03-2014, 07:39 PM
User Info
I have no problem with it at all. I'll sometimes do it, depending on the question I have, but usually I'll only start a thread on one forum depending which one I feel it fits best.

0 836
 04-03-2014, 10:27 PM
User Info
I can see where one could think that it was hubris on the part of the posters who do that. For some it might be, but I can only address why I do it. But not on the forums mentioned by the OP.

Not everyone goes to all the forums, I sure don't, can't, and won't. If it was meaningful enough to do the work and then to write it I want my friends to read it; even my friends who don't visit here.

When I do the foot work I want my other friends to benefit as well. To do otherwise means that there are forums that will lose. That benefits no one since there are some posters who will bypass this forum and choose to post elsewhere.

Hypothetically, If I choose to post only on ShaveMyFace this forum loses those posts. One person may not be interested in reading about a higher lofted Simpsons Synthetic brush, but others on this forum might. BTW, that is one post that I posted on 2 other forums, not just here. Yes, those who read it here benefitted from it I hope, as well the gents on the other forums.

I also help noobs with the same advice I post here at times. It would be very detrimental to deny others the help I give to folks on this forum. I know others do the same. If we can't overlap forums, and all forums would be less rich IMO.

32 6,445
 04-04-2014, 12:00 AM
User Info
Their are quite a few members to. That only belong to one forum.......

Therefore I see no problem with duplicate posts on different forums, infact it brings in wider audience. "Spreading the word"

Charles U.K

0 2,428
 04-04-2014, 02:43 AM
User Info
So it's official .... I AM a grumpy old man Angel

Apparently I'm unusual in that if I want to learn about something I search for the info. Searches turn up the info I need in many forums. So "sharing" with others seems specious at best in my view.

Of course, there is much that is posted I have no interest in that perhaps others do. Enjoy & carry on Blush

6 358
 04-04-2014, 07:41 AM
User Info
I have to concur with the other gentlemen as I don't see much of an issue for the reasons they have already stated.

I guess some folks around the world must be tired of seeing my SOTD pics, then! Biggrin

82 21,056
 04-04-2014, 07:54 AM
User Info
I really see no issue with posting on different forums - If it bothers you , a simple solution would be not to visit or utilize any other sites.

0 150
 04-04-2014, 08:07 AM
User Info
Every forum has an ignore feature. I use it liberally.

6 358
 04-04-2014, 09:40 AM
User Info
(04-04-2014, 08:07 AM)Aimless1 Wrote: Every forum has an ignore feature. I use it liberally.

Not quite sure what that has to do with the topic.

0 338
 04-04-2014, 10:33 AM
User Info
means perhaps: defeat thy enemy Star-wars-smiley-023

7 1,624
 04-04-2014, 11:12 AM
User Info
Traveling and not currently able to quote. Darkbulb, rather than avoiding other forums as had been suggested I simply ignore some members, whether they habitually post on various sites or simply offer nothing I consider valuable. If they're active here then I may ignore them elsewhere so I don't have to deal with their redundancy. Just another way to skin the cat as the old saying goes.

6 358