04-03-2014, 07:57 PM
User Info
[Image: 33Sg7uK.jpg]

TWSBI Vac 700 on top.
TWSBI mini Classic with customized "Flairline" nib from Pendleton Brown on bottom.
Both sitting on top of a black Rhodia Webnotebook; DotPad.

[Image: wqr0zty.jpg]

Pilot Iroshizuku inks
Left: Chiku-Rin, Bamboo Forest
Middle: Fuyu-Gaki, Winter Persimmon
Right: Ku-Jaku, Peacock

[Image: oc4eFrc.jpg]

Writing Sample

31 8,058
 04-03-2014, 08:21 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
That is some really nice kit there, Brian. I have both of those pens and think they're terrific. How is that Flairline nib working out? How smoothly does it write?

The Pilot Iroshizuku inks are excellent and they should flow beautifully in those TWSBIs.

Enjoy it all. Smile

2 11,211
 04-03-2014, 08:49 PM
User Info
Thanks Freddy. The Flairline nib is super smooth. I do notice a touch of variation as well which is great. These Iroshizuku inks flow so smoothly too. Even on my copy paper at work they performed well and made the nibs feel even smoother.

I was afraid the Vac 700 would be too large but I love how it feels unposted and capped. I won't be writing with it posted though.

31 8,058
 04-03-2014, 09:06 PM
User Info
Nice pair of pens, Brian! I really like my 700. They are lovely pens. Smile

83 21,111
 04-04-2014, 08:55 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
The color on that Ku-Jaku is phenomenal. Nice haul!

0 1,137
 05-09-2014, 05:52 AM
User Info
I've been enjoying the Vac 700 so much and the Iroshizuku Chiku-Rin ink has been growing on me with every use. So when I sold a couple things I decided to pick up another Vac 700 so I could keep one inked with the Fuyu-Gaki (Winter Persimmon) and another with the Chiku-Rin (Bamboo Forest).

[Image: dNZj7Mq.jpg]

[Image: wiupkXK.jpg]

I love how smooth the extra-fine nib is on the Vac 700. I'm not sure why, perhaps the larger size, but it feels much smoother to me than my extra-fine nib in either of my mini Classics.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I also picked up a new ink for my wife as a mamma's day present; Iroshizuku Kosumosu (Cosmos). With Goulet Pen Co offering free shipping through May it was an easy decision. I'll post a writing sample of it once we ink up one of her pens with it on Sunday.

31 8,058
 05-09-2014, 09:33 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Brian, that ink in the demonstrator TWSBI Vac 700 is a beautiful combination. I'm looking forward to seeing a writing sample with the Kosumosu.

What pens does your wife have and does she have a favorite?

2 11,211
 05-09-2014, 10:21 AM
User Info
(05-09-2014, 05:52 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: I've been enjoying the Vac 700 so much and the Iroshizuku Chiku-Rin ink has been growing on me with every use. So when I sold a couple things I decided to pick up another Vac 700 so I could keep one inked with the Fuyu-Gaki (Winter Persimmon) and another with the Chiku-Rin (Bamboo Forest).

Nice haul. I just received a sample of the fuyu-gaki. I am partial to the bright and bold colors.

Phil

7 363
 05-09-2014, 10:39 AM
  • Elendil
  • The snow's back.
User Info
I love the demonstrators, and what could be more interesting that seeing a demonstrator filled with fantastic green ink?

0 1,137
 05-09-2014, 11:07 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Bob, I, too, am a fan of demonstrators and have several. When I clean a demonstrator pen out of its old ink and change colors it is almost as if I have a new pen. Smile

2 11,211
 05-09-2014, 11:10 AM
User Info
(05-09-2014, 09:33 AM)freddy Wrote: Brian, that ink in the demonstrator TWSBI Vac 700 is a beautiful combination. I'm looking forward to seeing a writing sample with the Kosumosu.

Freddy, she has a white LAMY Safari with a 1.1 stub nib inked currently with Noodler's Cactis Fruit Eel, and she has my first TWSBI mini Classic now with a 1.1 stub nib currently inked with Iroshizuku Chiku-Rin. I'm not sure which of the two colors will get sidelined to make room for the Kosumosu.

31 8,058
 05-09-2014, 11:28 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(05-09-2014, 11:10 AM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(05-09-2014, 09:33 AM)freddy Wrote: Brian, that ink in the demonstrator TWSBI Vac 700 is a beautiful combination. I'm looking forward to seeing a writing sample with the Kosumosu.

Freddy, she has a white LAMY Safari with a 1.1 stub nib inked currently with Noodler's Cactis Fruit Eel, and she has my first TWSBI mini Classic now with a 1.1 stub nib currently inked with Iroshizuku Chiku-Rin. I'm not sure which of the two colors will get sidelined to make room for the Kosumosu.

Brian, I really like the looks of the Iroshizuku Chiku-Rin based on your post here. I have to admit that I am not a fan of the Noodler's Cactus Fruit Eel. I received a sample through my Ink Drop membership and it just didn't click with me. The nice thing about having so many brands and hundreds of colors to choose from is that there is something for everyone.

2 11,211
 05-09-2014, 04:22 PM
  • Elendil
  • The snow's back.
User Info
I know Noodler's has a lot of fans, but I've never really had good luck with them. You can't top their variety of colors, though. I stick with J. Herbin, Private Reserve or Iroshizuku, typically.

0 1,137
 05-09-2014, 05:54 PM
User Info
Boy, those are fine looking pens!

83 21,111
 05-09-2014, 07:42 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(05-09-2014, 04:22 PM)Elendil Wrote: I know Noodler's has a lot of fans, but I've never really had good luck with them. You can't top their variety of colors, though. I stick with J. Herbin, Private Reserve or Iroshizuku, typically.

I have some Noodler's inks that I really like and some that underwhelm. The brands you mention are great but I would add at least one other brand to those three, Diamine.

It's Noodler's pens I find overrated. For me, there are better inexpensive or moderately priced pens out there.

2 11,211
 05-11-2014, 11:55 AM
User Info
(04-03-2014, 07:57 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:
[Image: 33Sg7uK.jpg]

TWSBI Vac 700 on top.
TWSBI mini Classic with customized "Flairline" nib from Pendleton Brown on bottom.
Both sitting on top of a black Rhodia Webnotebook; DotPad.

[Image: wqr0zty.jpg]

Pilot Iroshizuku inks
Left: Chiku-Rin, Bamboo Forest
Middle: Fuyu-Gaki, Winter Persimmon
Right: Ku-Jaku, Peacock

[Image: oc4eFrc.jpg]

Writing Sample

Brian, the pens are really nice. I never considered a demonstrator pen before. They always looked cheap to me, but yours looks really sharp! I liked Freddy's comment about feeling like he had a new pen every time he inked it! (Of course for that to be true for me, I would have to ink with a different color! Hmm NAH!Laughing1 )
You recommended the peacock blue ink to me but when I went on the Goulet site, it looked too washed out. Very light. But your sample here, looks beautiful. I am going to have to add it to my list of samples for the next time we order. Thanks for the suggestion! Mary Lou

7 363