Unscented
Vetiver/Tangerine Tea Patchouli Light Cream Cardamom Olibanum
 04-05-2014, 02:05 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Hi All,
I am about to pull the trigger on an order of SMN, I Coloniali, and Tabula Rasa.
Which scents have you tried and how did you find it (scent and performance-wise)?

62 3,010
 04-05-2014, 02:27 PM
User Info
Tabula Rasa is a tremendous product that doesn't get talked about as much as other artisan soaps, creams or croaps. I have Olibanum (Church Frankincense), Cardamom, and Patchouli. They all smell great and the post shave feel is incredible. I have heard some say lathering can be tricky, but I haven't experienced that. I load from the container and face lather equally well with one of my M&F's or a synthetic. If lathering options are needed Teiste has a nice video that shows how to convert Tabula Rasa into a true croap with a small amount of water and a spoon. You can't go wrong with Tabula Rasa, it's a great product IMO.

96 2,592
 04-05-2014, 03:46 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Considering 2 of the 3 products you mention were my disappointments of 2013, allow me to share my 2 cents.

Tabula Rasa has a pretty good performance, but ends ups being one of the most expensive soaps out there. Much more so than MdC, for example.
A 90gr (it looks like even less) tin costs €20 and some, and having a very creamy consistency, it just doesn't last that long. Don't get me wrong, the performance is quite good, but when you compare it to a soap like MdC, it just looses in every aspect, except perhaps the scent, which is a very YMMV thing anyway.
However, this is not meant to discourage you. I believe you should try it for yourself, and come to your own conclusions. BTW, there's another scent you haven't included that is quite good, Dark Lavender.

The new formula of SMN has had very different opinions, as you can see here. I personally find it to have a pretty average performance., no matter how go about it. Its main problem is a very runny lather, which simply doesn't come to the desired consistency. Again, IMHO, it's wayyy too expensive for what you get.

I Coloniali, on the other hand, is a fantastic soap, with a great performance and a unique scent, and also a very original presentation (in the terracota bowl). This was probably one of the my software highlights of 2013.

I hope I helped a bit, and didn't discourage you from trying any of the products. Smile

26 4,953
 04-05-2014, 03:58 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
TR easily produces a cushioning and protective lather.
It was developed for use with sensitive skin and presumably as a result TR is NOT strongly scented.
It is thick from the container, but easily transforms with a little water.
The lather is very good, but I was disappointed with the scents.

I have used:

Light Cream - Very little scent (to my nose it smelt only of the base ingredients), but is described by the maker as "slight, distant Milk of Flowers scent"
Vetiver/Tangerine - Vetiver is the stronger of the two scents
Olibanum - Frankincense
Dark Lavender - as the name implies!

From your list I would choose Cardamom and I would avoid Unscented.

99 18,011
 04-05-2014, 04:05 PM
User Info
The Dark Lavender appears to be unavailable from Lee at this time, which may explain why the OP left it off his wish list Shy

96 2,592
 04-05-2014, 04:15 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Tabula Rasa (Dark Lavender) vs Semogue 2013 SE...

[Image: yXk6209.png]

[Image: 5L1V8ZF.png]

[Image: Px2qGCC.png]

[Image: Hcpcsyp.png]

99 18,011
 04-05-2014, 04:24 PM
User Info
(04-05-2014, 03:58 PM)ben74 Wrote: TR easily produces a cushioning and protective lather.
It was developed for use with sensitive skin and presumably as a result TR is NOT strongly scented.
It is thick from the container, but easily transforms with a little water.
The lather is very good, but I was disappointed with the scents.

From your list I would choose Cardamom and I would avoid Unscented.

Ben, I agree, all the ones I have are lightly scented but very pleasant. It's a perfect combination for my daily driver setup, when I don't want a heavily scented soap to compete with an aftershave. You can't go wrong with the Cardamom Shy

96 2,592
 04-05-2014, 07:26 PM
User Info
(04-05-2014, 04:05 PM)Jmartz Wrote: The Dark Lavender appears to be unavailable from Lee at this time, which may explain why the OP left it off his wish list Shy

I know, I was going to make the plunge for the Dark Lavender, but Lee is out. I couldn't find Tabula anywhere else, so I guess I'll just have to wait until he gets in a new batch.

Has anyone run into problems face lathering with this cream? I read over at Badger and Blade that a couple guys said it was a little hard to face lather with. One guy put some water in the tub and mixed up the cream where it wasn't quite so clay-like. He said it worked like a charm.

0 5
 04-05-2014, 07:34 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(04-05-2014, 04:15 PM)ben74 Wrote:
Tabula Rasa (Dark Lavender) vs Semogue 2013 SE...

[Image: yXk6209.png]

[Image: 5L1V8ZF.png]

[Image: Px2qGCC.png]

[Image: Hcpcsyp.png]

That looks yummy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(04-05-2014, 03:46 PM)TheMonk Wrote: Don't get me wrong, the performance is quite good, but when you compare it to a soap like MdC, it just looses in every aspect, except perhaps the scent, which is a very YMMV thing anyway.

Well, funny thing is, I don't care for MdC (makes me itch the skin off my face after shaving), so I'm selling my 3 tubs on BST... just 1 remaining.
...And I happen to enjoy the scents

Btw, the thread you posted, I was the OP in that one, too. Haha!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

62 3,010
 04-05-2014, 07:42 PM
User Info
(04-05-2014, 07:26 PM)Livingston Wrote: Has anyone run into problems face lathering with this cream? I read over at Badger and Blade that a couple guys said it was a little hard to face lather with. One guy put some water in the tub and mixed up the cream where it wasn't quite so clay-like. He said it worked like a charm.

* When I tried it quite awhile ago, I had no issues with face-lathering it. It is a very nice croap.

83 21,115
 04-05-2014, 07:55 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
It lathers easily for me.

Dark Lavender is my favourite from the ones I've tried so far.

99 18,011
 04-05-2014, 08:39 PM
User Info
I have Dark Lavender and Olibanum soaps. I think the scents are just right, not too strong and not too light (as in MdC). I don't understand how anyone can say Tabula Rasa is difficult to lather. I face lather with TR and find it as easy as MdC or a shaving cream to lather. The lather is excellent at cushioning and leaving the face feeling moisturized after the shave. The scents are very interesting and complex.

21 1,686
 04-06-2014, 09:26 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Thanks to everyone who responded, I realize I didn't wait too long (I think I need Prozac). I placed my order last night for TR Olibanum and TR Cardamom, plus the new SMN and I Coloniali soap (refill only, I have plenty unused wood bowls for it, and terra cotta doesn't mesh well in my bathroom).

I'll be sure to give my thoughts on these after some uses. Cool
Thanks again!

(04-05-2014, 07:55 PM)ben74 Wrote: It lathers easily for me.

Dark Lavender is my favourite from the ones I've tried so far.

Hi Ben, which other's have you tried?

62 3,010
 04-06-2014, 09:37 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(04-06-2014, 09:26 AM)Nero Wrote: Hi Ben, which other's have you tried?

Light Cream, Vetiver/Tangerine, Olibanum & Dark Lavender.

99 18,011
 04-06-2014, 12:42 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Thanks Ben!

62 3,010