04-05-2014, 02:17 PM
User Info
Through a PIF on this site I ended up being the happy recipient of a "Lime and Black Pepper beer shaving soap" that uses Corona as the beer ingredient.

The soap is made in Alabama by Beer Soap Brewing Co
Already when wrapped up the soap has a very distinct lime scent to it..but I couldn't quite pick out the Corona scent.

[Image: DSCF0789_zpsa100cb84.jpg]

The 4 ounces of soap you receive is a very generous amount of soap - I use the tin cans from Stirling and I was able to fit about 95% of the soap in there, so there's a lot of it Smile

Scent
When lathering up the lime scent is very apparent but I couldn't pick up the beer or the black pepper. It's a very appealing, fresh lime scent though and the scent does in some odd way remind me of a cold, fresh lime infused Corona so I guess that somehow the beer association does come through.

Performance
I think when you have soaps with unusual scents like beer, etc there's a risk you see those soaps as 'gimmicks' that really only sell based on their unusual scents and...I sort of had the same concern before I tried it out.
But, let me tell you...this soap lathers VERY, VERY well.

[Image: DSCF0795_zps4dc44459.jpg]

The lather came almost immediately and I ended up bowl lather it due to it feeling a bit cramped in the tin container.
Within 80-100 swirls I had already some extremely nice lather. It was thick, slick and felt very protective when I rubbed it between my fingers. I was very impressed by the performance.

Shaving with it the lather had great staying power and provided a slick and smooth shaving experience. There was absolutely no 'gimmick' about how well this soap performed. The scent was rather subtle whilst shaving but felt fresh and 'clean'. I think this will be a most excellent spring and summer soap for me - a bit of corona and lime as I get ready in the morning Smile

This soap was a very nice surprise.

[Image: DSCF0791_zpsf2185987.jpg]

0 338
 04-05-2014, 02:25 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
Nice review and great photos.

I think I need to add this onto my shortlist of soaps to try out. Smile

33 659
 04-05-2014, 02:26 PM
User Info
(04-05-2014, 02:25 PM)ajc347 Wrote: Nice review and great photos.

I think I need to add this onto my shortlist of soaps to try out. Smile

I'd recommend it. I'm not sure how well the photos conveys it...but that lather was SICK! Smile

Now I see he has a Guinness based soap as well..hmm....must not...

0 338
 04-05-2014, 02:33 PM
User Info
I have a puck of Bay Rum on the way from the same PIF, but the postal service still has their hands on it. I'll leave my impressions once I give it a shot.

10 2,062
 04-05-2014, 03:30 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
I ordered a couple from Kevin just this last week, so I'm hoping for great things! Biggrin

26 4,927
 04-05-2014, 03:39 PM
User Info
Would love to read about others experiences as well to see how in line - or not - with my own they are Smile

0 338
 04-05-2014, 07:23 PM
User Info
Lovely photos and the lather looks great!
So many wonderful artisan soaps, nowadays! Smile

83 21,077
 04-11-2014, 05:19 AM
User Info
I wanted to add to 2 cents about this soap that as well. Full Disclosure: I did win this puck in a PIF. Darkbulb's comment about this being a nice surprise was right on the money. The lather built very quickly - this is one of the easiest lathering soaps I've used. And the results were slick and cushiony all around. The post shave feeling was very good as well. My skin feels soft, smooth, and hydrated.

I used the Bay Rum scent, and Kevin from Beer Soap had mentioned that it had been reformulated due to some negative comments on the scent. Well I don't know what the old formula was like but the new Bay Rum is very nice. It's very strong off of the puck, I could catch whiffs of it even inside the mailer. The dominant notes are the sweet orange and bay. It doesn't come off as synthetic at all. Once it was lathered up I could notice more of the other spice notes. I was a little worried about irritation due to the inclusion of cinnamon oil, but there was no irritation whatsoever.

I'd say Kevin has a real winner on his hands. And I'd be happy to purchase some other scents once I run my current soap stock down a little more.

[Image: IjIaT9Fl.jpg?1]

10 2,062
 04-11-2014, 06:29 AM
User Info
Great to hear about the Bay Rum scent. I just ordered some of this the other day. Now I can't wait for it to come in. Thanks for the reviews gentlemen!

21 555
 04-11-2014, 12:10 PM
User Info
Seems like we got some winners here. Pun not intended. Smile

0 338
 04-14-2014, 11:16 AM
User Info
Nice review, thanks ! I was hesitating to buy one because shipping to France makes you think twice, but this sure helps !

3 261
 04-14-2014, 12:27 PM
User Info
(04-14-2014, 11:16 AM)Cha-wing!! Wrote: Nice review, thanks ! I was hesitating to buy one because shipping to France makes you think twice, but this sure helps !

Maybe they'll come out with a wine-based soap Wink

0 338
 04-14-2014, 01:18 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
(04-05-2014, 07:23 PM)celestino Wrote: Lovely photos and the lather looks great!
So many wonderful artisan soaps, nowadays! Smile

+2 on this. Really hard to choose nowadays. I'm really glad to have the choices though. Nice that they use all natural ingredients, unlike the three Ts!

14 871
 04-14-2014, 02:04 PM
User Info
I got my Bay Rum today. Keep in mind, I've never smelled bay rum before, but this stuff smells amazing! I whipped up some test lather in my new bowl. It was slick and creamy. The scent lasts too. I can still smell it on my hand even after washing my hands with hand soap.

I can't wait to use it tomorrow. Will go lovely with the Captain's Lime aftershave!

21 555
 04-14-2014, 02:30 PM
User Info
(04-14-2014, 02:04 PM)BriDroid Wrote: I got my Bay Rum today. Keep in mind, I've never smelled bay rum before, but this stuff smells amazing! I whipped up some test lather in my new bowl. It was slick and creamy. The scent lasts too. I can still smell it on my hand even after washing my hands with hand soap.

I can't wait to use it tomorrow. Will go lovely with the Captain's Lime aftershave!

I've used mine 2-3 times now and the lather really is excellent.
After a week or so the strong citrus scent mine had did 'die down' a bit and now it actually DOES come across more as a 'Corona with lime on a sunny day'. I'm liking it Smile

0 338
 04-15-2014, 07:47 PM
User Info
Wine soap eh?......Irish Whiskey soap, Scotch Soap...the possibilities are endless! But I would never waste a good Irish Whiskey for a soap Cool

(04-14-2014, 12:27 PM)Darkbulb Wrote:
(04-14-2014, 11:16 AM)Cha-wing!! Wrote: Nice review, thanks ! I was hesitating to buy one because shipping to France makes you think twice, but this sure helps !

Maybe they'll come out with a wine-based soap Wink

1 184