04-05-2014, 05:55 PM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
After being in this hobby/culture for 2 years, I have tried many, not a lot, but many creams and soaps. I prefer creams or sticks(rarely find a stick I prefer). I haven't found a soap I really like more than my Proraso Creams. Nope, not even Mike's. Sorry! I initially liked ARKO, but am now convinced it is average at best......EXCEPT.......for camping!
When you take your family camping at a state park, you shower in a bath house. I travel light when camping and I don't like shower gels or washes as they are in big heavy bottles that are prone to leak. Enter ARKO. Take a stick, press it into a twist up container(which takes up little space) and you have a compact long lasting soap that stands up in the shower.
I twist it up and lather up my hands and go to washing. Nothing like that citrusy, industrial , cattle car disinfectant smell when showering in a public shower room!

2 334
 04-05-2014, 06:08 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(04-05-2014, 05:55 PM)Blue line Wrote: After being in this hobby/culture for 2 years, I have tried many, not a lot, but many creams and soaps. I prefer creams or sticks(rarely find a stick I prefer). I haven't found a soap I really like more than my Proraso Creams. Nope, not even Mike's. Sorry! I initially liked ARKO, but am now convinced it is average at best......EXCEPT.......for camping!
When you take your family camping at a state park, you shower in a bath house. I travel light when camping and I don't like shower gels or washes as they are in big heavy bottles that are prone to leak. Enter ARKO. Take a stick, press it into a twist up container(which takes up little space) and you have a compact long lasting soap that stands up in the shower.
I twist it up and lather up my hands and go to washing. Nothing like that citrusy, industrial , cattle car disinfectant smell when showering in a public shower room!

I love all the different descriptions when it comes to the Arko scent. To me it just smell like an old fashioned bar of Ivory soap like we used in our house when I was a kid. I wonder if Arko would float like a bar of Ivory.

I use both a stick for travel plus I grated a stick and pressed it into a TABAC glass dish. Both work great. Probably the easiest shave soap to lather on the planet. Just look at the SOTD pictures Nick post.

178 23,809
 04-05-2014, 07:22 PM
User Info
(04-05-2014, 05:55 PM)Blue line Wrote: Nothing like that citrusy, industrial , cattle car disinfectant smell when showering in a public shower room!

Biggrin

83 21,081
 04-05-2014, 07:24 PM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
I must admit, I stole the description from someone else. It is a great bathing soap.

I must admit, I stole the description from someone else. It is a great bathing soap.

2 334
 04-05-2014, 09:09 PM
User Info
(04-05-2014, 06:08 PM)Johnny Wrote: I love all the different descriptions when it comes to the Arko scent. To me it just smell like an old fashioned bar of Ivory soap like we used in our house when I was a kid. I wonder if Arko would float like a bar of Ivory.

I use both a stick for travel plus I grated a stick and pressed it into a TABAC glass dish. Both work great. Probably the easiest shave soap to lather on the planet. Just look at the SOTD pictures Nick post.

Exactly! It's best attribute after the price.

32 6,460
 04-05-2014, 11:50 PM
User Info
I just threw some out. I had a stick pressed into a nice stone bowl and I never used it, ever. Often I'd think I should give it a use but then I'd never bring myself to using it. I much prefer the Speick stick that now occupies the stone bowl. I felt a bit guilty tossing it but I knew I wasn't ever going to actually use it.

12 848
 04-06-2014, 12:58 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
In a pinch I could see using Arko as a bath soap if I had nothing else. OTH I have used Ivory soap to shave with a straight but seems a waste of a decent bath soap. Both are decent for their intended purpose. Used Arko this morning and it has always given me a decent shave. No complaints here.

Bob

0 1,694
 04-06-2014, 01:34 AM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
"Nothing like that citrusy, industrial , cattle car disinfectant smell when showering in a public shower room!"
Brutal, I'll never view Nick's SOTD photos the same way again! Biggrin

17 549
 04-09-2014, 04:27 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
It remnds me of sitting on Grandma's Porch watching the Lightning bugs on a hot summer night. I always have it on hand. My wife can't stand it...lol, at times that also heightens my love for it...Biggrin

One other thing is that it drives the moths away, too. I have a stick in each of my stored wool suitcoats and trousers.

74 1,512
 04-13-2014, 05:02 PM
User Info
It smells like Ivory soap to me too.

Its shave quality is comparable to AOS (tallow), Mike's, Tabac/Irisch Moos. I've never tried Palmolive sticks but I can't imagine a better shave per pennies than Arko.

1 63
 04-13-2014, 06:58 PM
User Info
The best use for ARKO for me is to use it as intended.
I find it to be an absolutely stellar performer and I even like the scent.

There are a LOT of soaps out there that I would toss out before I would get rid of any Arko soaps and that includes some of Stirling's soaps with questionable scent and absolutely most of the Mama Bear soaps that I've been unfortunate to try.

0 338
 04-13-2014, 09:06 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
When Blue Line mentioned Arko and camping in the same sentence, I thought he was going to tell us how good it is at repelling mosquitoes. Biggrin

46 18,384
 04-14-2014, 06:16 PM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
No but th smell I did keep Sasquatch away from my Jack Links snacks!

2 334
 04-14-2014, 07:10 PM
User Info
I love Arko, scent and all! Sure there are "nicer" soaps in my rotation, D.R. Harris, Mike's, Barrister & Mann, Mystic Waters, Da Fat, the wonderful world of RazoRock and so on.

Yet, when I'm running late in the morning, want a minimalist shave at they gym, and yes camping - Arko is the one I reach for most often. I have Speick, Palmolive, Wilkinson Sword, La Toja sticks - all with obviously better quality scenting that Arko.

There are two reasons that I love Arko.

First is that it's simply a terrific performer. You almost just have to move a brush near it and there sre simply gobs of thick, slick protective lather.

Secondly, like I suspect many of us, Traditional Shaving is nostalgic for me. Dad always used an electric, but I think of my two grandfathers - one a flinty, old school Bostonian who was a product of the Great Depression and could squeeze six-cents out of a nickel and the other a retired Sailor, turned house painter who never lost his Glasgow roots.

They were all about simplicity and doing things right. Using a good, inexpensive shave soap honors their memory - a nice way to start my morning. I imagine Arko being similar to vintage Williams, a simple great performer.

I certainly understand that Arko's scent isn't for everyone.

Phil - I still manage to camp at least a few times a year, and as good as Arko is - it does nothing for mosquitoes. Smile

3 460
 04-14-2014, 07:45 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I'm always amazed at how such a small, inexpensive piece of soap can stir such strong emotions in grown men. We do love our favorite shaving products and have great fun defending them, or have great fun trying to antagonize the true believers. I'm just glad that the Ivory soap that I remember as a kid, or the shaving soap my poor, immigrant Norwegian grandfather used, didn't smell like Arko, although my wife frequently reminds me that my memory isn't what is used to be.

38 5,115
 04-21-2014, 12:17 PM
User Info
Alan,
I wouldn't say that Arko is average, but I would agree with you that it does make a very good bath soap! Very slippery.

I ran out of soap last month and used up a bar of Arko as a bath soap. I noticed it worked especially well for my hair. Loads of lather and didn't leave my scalp dry, which was surprising.

Be safe.

1 283
 04-21-2014, 05:36 PM
User Info
(04-05-2014, 05:55 PM)Blue line Wrote: After being in this hobby/culture for 2 years, I have tried many, not a lot, but many creams and soaps. I prefer creams or sticks(rarely find a stick I prefer). I haven't found a soap I really like more than my Proraso Creams. Nope, not even Mike's. Sorry! I initially liked ARKO, but am now convinced it is average at best......EXCEPT.......for camping!
Finally! A "Human Friendly" use for industrial cattle truck detergent scented Arko! Biggrin

1 346
 04-30-2014, 12:55 PM
  • Deco
  • シングルエッジ
  • Rocky Mountains
User Info
(04-13-2014, 06:58 PM)Darkbulb Wrote: The best use for ARKO for me is to use it as intended.
I find it to be an absolutely stellar performer and I even like the scent.
I'm in this camp as well. I'm also 97% sure Arko would repel vermin from digging up a yard.

1 239
 04-30-2014, 01:39 PM
User Info
At one time these posts were reserved for Williams. Not too very long ago I suggested that the traditional "urinate on Williams" thread was switching to ARKO.

If you gents don't like ARKO, you ought to try Williams. Same great scent, but much less performance at a higher price. Wink

As far as repelling biting insects, I might just try that. It does smell like citronella. (relax ARKO lovers, I actually like ARKO for it's cost/benefit ratio despite my use of the "C" word). It smells something like the "new" non-DEET repellents.

32 6,460
 05-01-2014, 05:29 PM
  • DaveL
  • Houston, Texas
User Info
Not sure I'd want to smell like Arko, even camping.

Might keep skeetters away though! Biggrin

2 128