04-05-2014, 08:22 PM
User Info
Tonight's shave was great. It had been a while since I used this tried and true old standby. The brush was the EJ Synthetic, loaded for 15 seconds. The lather was thick, rich, and plentiful. Love the menthol. Followed up with a good splash of Krampert's Frostbite, and enjoyed the face freeze from start to finish. Nice soap!

24 1,226
 04-05-2014, 08:50 PM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
I have the old version cream and love it. Do you prefer the soap or the cream?

17 439
 04-05-2014, 10:05 PM
User Info
Proraso is always reliable and enjoyable. However, I generally prefer the White soap.

0 386
 04-05-2014, 10:13 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I've used the green cream for years, back when I first got into DE's, and it was always excellent. The scent always reminded me of times when I was a kid visiting family overseas and watching my uncle shave with a DE. The first time I used it as an adult, I knew that's the same cream my uncle used. While Proraso White is one of my regular travel soaps, the Green always has a special place in my den Smile

34 1,628
 04-05-2014, 11:01 PM
User Info
It was my first soap I had ever bought. Every time I use it, it reminds me of my first couple attempts at shaving but in a good way (not that it was that long ago). I think I'll always have to have one laying around even though I don't use it all that often.

12 848
 04-06-2014, 08:02 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
At one time I wasn't too crazy about the Proraso Green soap, but now I love it. The White is also great. Not as much menthol, but still cooling enough.

3 2,635
 04-06-2014, 08:49 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
I'm the dissenter here. I have tried Proraso multiple times and have never loved it.

I came to this hobby after years of shaving with Godrej - which I grew up with. Proraso offers similar performance to Godrej (if not a bit worse) but costs 10x as much. In addition - I find it very drying.

Of course, this is a YMMV sport. When I 'gifted' my Proraro, TOBS and Cella to my father - he loved Proraro best of all.

17 535
 04-06-2014, 09:35 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(04-05-2014, 08:22 PM)brothers Wrote: Tonight's shave was great. It had been a while since I used this tried and true old standby. The brush was the EJ Synthetic, loaded for 15 seconds. The lather was thick, rich, and plentiful. Love the menthol.

Totally agree with you. It's the best "value" product I've ever used.
There's a reason why we (used to) compare everything to Proraso.

59 2,822
 04-06-2014, 10:00 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I use C.O. Bigelow cream a lot, which is basically rebranded Proraso green. I love this cream, and as long as I can get it locally I'll keep using it. If the day comes I can't, Proraso green is available everywhere online. It's good to be a wetshaver in this day and age!

2 1,683
 04-06-2014, 06:42 PM
User Info
(04-05-2014, 08:50 PM)Lando Wrote: I have the old version cream and love it. Do you prefer the soap or the cream?

I perceive them as pretty much identical. The cream I have is the old formula and the soap I posted about above is the new.

24 1,226
 04-10-2014, 11:04 AM
  • 01HDFXD
  • Philadelphia & New Orleans
User Info
I have been using exclusively Cella, except for a one-puck experiment with Tabac, which I haven't yet used up. My son tried a sampler of Proraso Green cream, but the menthol/eucalyptus was too much for his face, so he gave it to me. I tried it this morning, and all I can say is OMG!!!

To back up a bit, I am in the middle of a project of comparing all of my razors, using an Astra SP, to see which ones I am going to keep in the rotation and which ones are going to move on. My last shave was with a newly acquired Symmetry open comb, 3-piece razor from How to Grow a Moustache. It is really pretty, with a nice handlebar moustache logo on the cap, very solid construction and a cute purple tip at the bottom of the handle. I used the Tabac, and the shave was fairly uncomfortable, what I would normally describe as rough. I ended up with a DFS after 2.5 passes, but the process of getting there wasn't enjoyable.

This mooring, I tried the same razor and blade, but I figured I would give the Proraso a try. The difference was mind-blowing. A super-smooth, extraordinarily comfortable, absolutely BBS shave after 2.5 passes. It was possibly the most comfortable, closest shave I have ever had.

I have to attribute the difference to the lather. Do you folks think that Proraso Green cream shaves that much better than Tabac soap? Or do you think that the Proraso is much better at soothing, and thus masking, any irritation than the Tabac? Or was it something else? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

0 23
 04-10-2014, 12:06 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(04-10-2014, 11:04 AM)01HDFXD Wrote: I have been using exclusively Cella, except for a one-puck experiment with Tabac, which I haven't yet used up. My son tried a sampler of Proraso Green cream, but the menthol/eucalyptus was too much for his face, so he gave it to me. I tried it this morning, and all I can say is OMG!!!

To back up a bit, I am in the middle of a project of comparing all of my razors, using an Astra SP, to see which ones I am going to keep in the rotation and which ones are going to move on. My last shave was with a newly acquired Symmetry open comb, 3-piece razor from How to Grow a Moustache. It is really pretty, with a nice handlebar moustache logo on the cap, very solid construction and a cute purple tip at the bottom of the handle. I used the Tabac, and the shave was fairly uncomfortable, what I would normally describe as rough. I ended up with a DFS after 2.5 passes, but the process of getting there wasn't enjoyable.

This mooring, I tried the same razor and blade, but I figured I would give the Proraso a try. The difference was mind-blowing. A super-smooth, extraordinarily comfortable, absolutely BBS shave after 2.5 passes. It was possibly the most comfortable, closest shave I have ever had.

I have to attribute the difference to the lather. Do you folks think that Proraso Green cream shaves that much better than Tabac soap? Or do you think that the Proraso is much better at soothing, and thus masking, any irritation than the Tabac? Or was it something else? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I find the Eucalyptus and menthol in the Bigelow/Proraso green VERY soothing to my face. It definitely helps sooth the skin and avoid or ease irritation. I use whatever lather I have left over, along with cold towel treatments after the shave. This works well with any lather, but the Euc/menthol just kicks that up a couple of notches.
Wonderful experience, at least for me.

2 1,683
 04-10-2014, 12:40 PM
User Info
I'm not a fan of the green as I just don't like menthol but the blue and red tubes are always in my cabinet.

44 486
 04-10-2014, 01:18 PM
User Info
Agree the blue is great. Both the cream and the aftershave.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

1 43
 10-18-2014, 12:55 AM
  • dimitrof
  • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
User Info
Proraso Green was the first cream I ever used. It still takes me back... the old formulation had a little extra oomph, I think - maybe a bigger menthol/eucalyptus kick? It's a great cream!

5 57
 11-16-2014, 04:47 PM
User Info
Love the Green tub. I got a half size one for travel - sweet! I like the tubs and tubes in all flavors, last on the list being the blue. The red cream is actually my favorite sandalwood - so warm and subtle. The Bigelow cream also comes in a half size tube. It's really a sort of base line for all but hard milled soaps. If they're not as good or better than Proraso, why bother? If you'll forgive an out-dated metaphor, it's my Chevy Nova of shaving soap - not as exciting as some, but oh so good and dependable.
The only Proraso product that I didn't like was the pre/post shave cream in the glass jar - just didn't do anything for me.
Euro

5 395
 11-16-2014, 05:49 PM
User Info
I liked the green cream but ran out several years ago and never refilled for some reason. Now I have a white I got in a trade but have never used...I guess I need to at least try it. I still have some balm and AS in the drawer as well. Out of sight...

31 1,800