04-06-2014, 08:16 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I've found, once my learning curve hit a certain point, that most of my shaves are clean, close, comfortable and bloodless. I mean hemoglobin makes absolutely no appearance in my typical three to four passes. 9 out of 10 shaves. If I see any traces of blood something went wrong. And it's probably more like 9.9 out of 10.
I was just wondering if eveyone/anyone else finds the same. Chime in please.

7 2,360
 04-06-2014, 08:28 AM
User Info
in all my (traditional) shavings since 2012 i saw blood once - and that was when i hit my nose with the end edge of a blade Biggrin

but truly clean/close/comfortable consistent shaves 9/10 times i only managed since the start of this year - and my ultimate judgement i always make the next day: the slightest annoyance after 24 hours and i will not be pleased.

7 1,624
 04-06-2014, 08:34 AM
User Info
Well, it all depends. It's been a VERY long time since I've cut myself. Weepers are common but I need to look closely in the mirror to see them generally.

I have areas of rough skin and if I see any blood generally that's where I'll see it.

The ingredients for blood letting, at least for me, is an aggressive razor, a fresh blade, and the biggest factor, inattentiveness on the part of the operator.

With a SE blade having a few shaves on it the chance of seeing blood, no matter what razor I have it in is greatly reduced.

32 6,471
 04-06-2014, 08:55 AM
  • tave
  • Mr whiskers
  • baltimore
User Info
They'll appear if you have any dermatoligical imperfections Beleive me. You can't help but bump into them with your razors no matter how careful you are.

0 76
 04-06-2014, 09:14 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
No blood, no nicks, no rash, in over 10 years. Do it right every time and you will not have these issues.

179 23,937
 04-06-2014, 09:34 AM
User Info
Same here, I've been wet shaving for years now and the only time I have a nick/burn is occasionally when I use a new razor. For some reason my FaTip Grande has never been nice to me, even with Astra blades and I use Feather in all my other razor's.

6 589
 04-06-2014, 09:49 AM
User Info
Most days, I won't have any nick/cuts/weepers. Some days I'll have a few small weepers, but nothing that'll show after I rinse off. I haven't had a real cut in a long time, styptic hasn't been needed for a while. Smile

0 54
 04-06-2014, 09:57 AM
User Info
I almost never get a weeper from technique, but sometimes when I have some small bumps my razor takes the top off of them. Small weepers that don't require much attention.

0 303
 04-06-2014, 11:04 AM
User Info
I think this is the norm for most experienced shavers, or once your technique has become very comfortable with the products you are using.

83 21,115
 04-06-2014, 11:14 AM
User Info
I've found my experience to be very similar to yours. I've been shaving with double edge razors for around three years now and manage very good shaves without any nicks or irritation, for the most part. Every once in a while I just have a bad shave for whatever reason.

5 79
 04-06-2014, 01:40 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I've been traditional shaving for 3 years, and I rarely ever see blood under normal circumstances. However, I do see it once in a while. I have a tiny, almost invisible skin tag under my jaw that pops up every month or two and says hello to the blade. I never feel it slice, but it sure does bleed. Angry

31 1,510
 04-06-2014, 02:24 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Well, I'm too old for pimples or most blemishes anymore, so that's not an issue. But I am so glad to have "stumbled" into this practice/hobby. My day, my life is more enjoyable and really that's what we all strive for while we're here.
Thanks for the feedback.

7 2,360
 04-06-2014, 04:31 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I almost never see blood, except on a rare occasion I'll hit a small bump that I was unaware of. Even then, it's taken care of with the cold water rinse. I thought that I might see a weeper with my first shave with a Cobra, but that wasn't the case. Now, if I ever work up the courage to try a straight, I'd expect to see a few weepers.

38 5,199
 04-06-2014, 05:10 PM
  • Stubbl E
  • Lake Tahoe, California
User Info
Hiya Norm! Biggrin

[Image: HUXJDDK.jpg?2]

Yeah, I'd say your experience is basically that of most folks. Personally I couldn't tell you the last time I saw blood while shaving, but that Boston bar sitcom was likely still in it's first run! To be honest I'd have a hard time even nailing down when I've had what I would consider a sub-par shave.

"No runs. No drips. No errors"

Aaaaa

0 567
 04-07-2014, 08:33 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
If I'm not "pushing it" for a BBS with an aggressive razor I don't get nicks... However I still can't help trying a few of my "dangerous" razors every once in a while. I often get bit by my Schick E2 injector and occasionally by my Cadet OC. Nothing major, but I do bring out the styptic.

0 912
 04-08-2014, 06:00 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
For me once I figured out technique and that while I was using DE's I figured out I need to space my shaves by at least 36 hours. (Not so with SE's I can shave every day). I usually don't get any blood. I said USUALLY. I recently got a bad shave from my Eveready shovelhead. I usually hand strop a new blade and for some stupid reason I forgot. Trust me I will take care of that next time I reach for it. The 1st shave I had with my OCMM was a bloodbath. I can now use it regularly with out a drop of the red stuff. So yes I would say your learning curve seems to be just like the rest of us. One day we all went or will go "EUREKA" and begin a life of great shaves....

5 1,151
 04-08-2014, 06:28 PM
User Info
Still new myself - When I started I would routinely get a weeper or two, some irritation. Technique was my issue, more repetition and my technique improved. I now get a bloodless irritation free shaves.Smile

0 150
 04-09-2014, 05:20 AM
  • tave
  • Mr whiskers
  • baltimore
User Info
Is hand stropping SE blades recommended before first use? I ve encounteted some weepers with my Schick e and blades. Just started using the razor and blades. Maybe it's more angle and getting used to it. Am only going WTG for a while until things improve.

0 76
 04-10-2014, 07:51 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
(04-09-2014, 05:20 AM)tave Wrote: Is hand stropping SE blades recommended before first use? I ve encounteted some weepers with my Schick e and blades. Just started using the razor and blades. Maybe it's more angle and getting used to it. Am only going WTG for a while until things improve.
I'd be afraid to hand strop an injector blade! Shocked The E model Schicks are tricky for me. I nick myself at least half the time.
The shave is amazingly close though, so I keep trying. The G models are much more predictable, but not as aggressive.

0 912
 04-10-2014, 09:01 AM
  • tave
  • Mr whiskers
  • baltimore
User Info
I shaved with the e again this morning. Nicked a face mole and neck skin tag. This is beginning to take its toll on patience and blood. Is it worth it or should I move on?

0 76