04-06-2014, 11:30 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
So it'll be 20 years on Tuesday since Kurt Cobain has been gone (yes already, TWENTY YEARS, it was April 8, 1994).
For me, this is (still) extremely depressing… music (music as an art form, and the music industry, as a business) has never recovered from the loss of its most surprising talent and most intriguing personality, post-John Lennon. He was private, he didn't like the cameras, he never took interviews seriously (if he took the interview, at all), he hated the fact he was famous (… unfortunately, this is why he's no longer with us), and if he was alive today he certainly wouldn't have a Facebook or Twitter account… this is why I love him so much… what he represented: honesty and purity… things that have been missing in music ever since (with extremely rare exception).

He was who he was and that's it, and if you didn't like it, he still didn't change.

In honor of Kurt and these ideals, I will shave with the Valobra stick this Tuesday. It doesn't care about trends, it doesn't wear a scent to impress strangers, it doesn't get dressed up in a pretty box or fancy plastic holder, it's winning formula never strayed from its roots.

How will you remember Kurt and honesty and purity this Tuesday?

57 2,552
 04-06-2014, 12:12 PM
User Info
Sorry that you're feeling his loss, but I'm more of the John Lennon generation. Kurt Cobain never mattered to me; I don't get it, and I don't remember people caring that much about him before he died, at least not any more so than any other rock star, but clearly I'm wrong.

I don't know if he'd still be alive if he weren't a rock star, or didn't hate it so much, or perhaps if he didn't get mixed up with Courtney "Nancy Spungen" Love. If he hated it so much, he sure picked the wrong line of work.

3 10
 04-06-2014, 12:23 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(04-06-2014, 12:12 PM)RaleighJazzFan Wrote: Sorry that you're feeling his loss, but I'm more of the John Lennon generation. Kurt Cobain never mattered to me; I don't get it, and I don't remember people caring that much about him before he died, at least not any more so than any other rock star, but clearly I'm wrong.

I don't know if he'd still be alive if he weren't a rock star, or didn't hate it so much, or perhaps if he didn't get mixed up with Courtney "Nancy Spungen" Love. If he hated it so much, he sure picked the wrong line of work.

Well, some people play music because they love playing music, and success falls upon them unexpectedly and unwillingly… that's what happened to Kurt.

That's fine if you're a generation prior. I am still equally depressed on December 8th (Lennon's death).
I guess this one means more to me since it happened during my lifetime, and because music has been an utter disaster ever since… so it really makes me sad.

On the other hand (and I don't want to start an argument) but anyone alive in the 90s listening to new music knows Nirvana was THE band before he died.

I think they got more air-time after his death because MTV Unplugged was JUST released, and it was an instant classic.

57 2,552
 04-06-2014, 12:28 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
The loss of any young person is tragic, regardless of circumstances.
This is especially evident in the world of artists and entertainers ... as one ponders 'what might have been' and how much more these talented individuals may have accomplished for us to see and hear.

102 18,552
 04-06-2014, 12:30 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(04-06-2014, 12:28 PM)Agravic Wrote: The loss of any young person is tragic, regardless of circumstances.
This is especially evident in the world of artists and entertainers ... as one ponders 'what might have been' and how much more these talented individuals may have accomplished for us to see and hear.

Thank you, Agravic!

57 2,552
 04-06-2014, 01:11 PM
User Info
Growing up in the Puget Sound area in the 90's the Seattle grunge sceen was BIG around here and Kurt was the face of it. When he passed the grunge music scene started it's downswing in popularity. Even though some artists were putting out some good music.

Even with his tragic death. I think Kurt's legacy will be a possitive one. On a Seattle radio station I listen too. They asked if there was a Washing State MT Rushmore who's faces would be on it?

Kurt Cobain, Jimmy Hendrix, Bill Gates (Microsoft) and Bruce Lee were the top vote getters.

Really miss the old grunge sceen. Glad to have been a part of it back in my youth. Wish it would have lasted a little longer. But as they say all good things come to an end.Sad

8 159
 04-06-2014, 01:58 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(04-06-2014, 01:11 PM)ksblazer Wrote: Growing up in the Puget Sound area in the 90's the Seattle grunge sceen was BIG around here and Kurt was the face of it. When he passed the grunge music scene started it's downswing in popularity. Even though some artists were putting out some good music.

Even with his tragic death. I think Kurt's legacy will be a possitive one. On a Seattle radio station I listen too. They asked if there was a Washing State MT Rushmore who's faces would be on it?

Kurt Cobain, Jimmy Hendrix, Bill Gates (Microsoft) and Bruce Lee were the top vote getters.

Really miss the old grunge sceen. Glad to have been a part of it back in my youth. Wish it would have lasted a little longer. But as they say all good things come to an end.Sad

Thanks for sharing.
And that would be a wall worth visiting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57 2,552
 04-06-2014, 02:11 PM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
Big fan, Cobain and Grohl were magic together.

17 549
 04-06-2014, 02:14 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
Thanks bud, thanks for sharing!

57 2,552
 04-06-2014, 03:27 PM
User Info
20 years..wow I am getting old....er. Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog......I miss the 90's. For those interested, Popular music consisted of cheesy hair metal bands that were slowly fading, and Nirvana ushered in a new alternative rock sound which helped give rise to the Seattle music scene. Metal Bands were slowly fading and a new image was born with bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam etc. Big hair, makeup, and glam rock were out and grunge was in! 40 million sold worldwide is not too shabby

Think Ill listen to Nevermind on the way to work tomorrow :>

1 184
 04-06-2014, 04:19 PM
User Info
(04-06-2014, 12:23 PM)Nero Wrote: I guess this one means more to me since it happened during my lifetime, and because music has been an utter disaster ever since… so it really makes me sad.

I wasn't going to comment because I'm not a huge fan of Kurt Cobain's music (though I think it's great that you and many others are), but I can't let that go....that statement is extremely disrespectful to many, many very talented artists, in all musical genre's. If you haven't found any music in the last 20 years that hasn't been an "utter disaster", then perhaps you're not looking in the right place. There's plenty of incredible music being made every day.

0 836
 04-06-2014, 05:22 PM
  • PR82
  • California, US
User Info
One of my favorites!!!

7 298
 04-06-2014, 06:37 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(04-06-2014, 04:19 PM)5Savages Wrote: I wasn't going to comment because I'm not a huge fan of Kurt Cobain's music (though I think it's great that you and many others are), but I can't let that go....that statement is extremely disrespectful to many, many very talented artists, in all musical genre's. If you haven't found any music in the last 20 years that hasn't been an "utter disaster", then perhaps you're not looking in the right place. There's plenty of incredible music being made every day.

Sorry if it offended you, but I was speaking about mainstream music.

I am sure if you look deep enough, you can find good music in many genres… but I'm talking about what's on the radio and what's on MTV or whatever. Not my flavor. I'll agree to disagree.

57 2,552
 04-06-2014, 06:46 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Gentlemen, let's agree to disagree here ... tastes in music are very much a YMMV thing ... and there are no absolutes.

Please be respectful and let's keep the thread civil.

Ravi (Moderator)

102 18,552
 04-06-2014, 07:02 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(04-06-2014, 03:27 PM)Kevin@BSBC Wrote: I miss the 90's.
[…]
Think Ill listen to Nevermind on the way to work tomorrow :>

God, I miss the 90s too.

And btw, Tuesday is the day… but feel free to listen all week.
One album a day. Biggrin

57 2,552
 04-06-2014, 08:31 PM
User Info
They put out some fantastic songs and had one of the best drummers around.

82 21,056
 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(04-06-2014, 08:31 PM)celestino Wrote: They put out some fantastic songs and had one of the best drummers around.

Absolutely!
Dave ripped on the drums. He's pretty decent at guitar too, but he had a major competitive advantage over most others while slamming the drums.

(04-06-2014, 12:28 PM)Agravic Wrote: The loss of any young person is tragic, regardless of circumstances.

You couldn't be more right Ravi!

Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Janis Joplin, Randy Rhoads, Kurt Cobain, Jim Morrison, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart :-) ...

Decades later, I can't imagine what we missed.

57 2,552
 04-07-2014, 03:00 AM
User Info
Kurt gave us some of the best music of the era!! Nirvana was cutting edge..Great band!!

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk

0 25
 04-07-2014, 06:17 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I don't even really know much about this Kurt Cobain but I agree with Ravi. YMMV is as true for music as it is for shaving. Even with classical music or opera, both of which I enjoy, some composers I love and some I'm just not a fan of. Just because I don't care for much of Wagner's music or his operas in no way takes away from the man's genius.

2 11,211
 04-07-2014, 07:54 AM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(04-07-2014, 06:17 AM)freddy Wrote: Just because I don't care for much of Wagner's music or his operas in no way takes away from the man's genius.

Well put!
A modern day example for me: Eddie Van Halen.
I can't stand most of their songs (though recently, some have begun to appeal), however there is no doubt he is a wizard of guitar (which I, too, play).

57 2,552