04-07-2014, 04:19 AM
User Info
Question for you fine people here, which would you choose and why? A new CH3 3 band super in the Somerset rose handle or the QEII jubilee manchurian.

21 368
 04-07-2014, 04:52 AM
User Info
Unless you are looking for a large knot, I would have to go with the QEII Jubilee. 1) exclusive. 2) should be just as nice as the 3 band, with better flow thru. 3) less expensive.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

1 71
 04-07-2014, 05:25 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
(04-07-2014, 04:52 AM)RunWithScissors Wrote: Unless you are looking for a large knot, I would have to go with the QEII Jubilee. 1) exclusive. 2) should be just as nice as the 3 band, with better flow thru. 3) less expensive.

+1 to this. The Jubilee is a fantastic brush. Keep in mind that it is much smaller than the CH3 (though not a micro brush in any way), so if you prefer the large brushes, the CH3 may be the way to go.

0 1,137
 04-07-2014, 07:32 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
(04-07-2014, 05:25 AM)Elendil Wrote:
(04-07-2014, 04:52 AM)RunWithScissors Wrote: Unless you are looking for a large knot, I would have to go with the QEII Jubilee. 1) exclusive. 2) should be just as nice as the 3 band, with better flow thru. 3) less expensive.

+1 to this. The Jubilee is a fantastic brush. Keep in mind that it is much smaller than the CH3 (though not a micro brush in any way), so if you prefer the large brushes, the CH3 may be the way to go.

Plus its a relatively economical entry point for Manchurian hair.

But if your looking to experience a large super dense brush then a Chubby would be the preferred choice, no real comparison.

35 1,329
 04-07-2014, 07:39 AM
User Info
Well I know the 2 don't compare but I have one of the Chubby 2 Synthetics. I like the size of the handle and the brush overalls and want to get one in Badger.
I saw that the CH3 had the Somerset handle and was new. Aren't the Somerset rose handles hard to come by now?

Also would like to get a manchurian and the jubilee does make manchurian hair affordable in a simpson handle.

21 368
 04-07-2014, 07:40 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Two rather different brushes.

The Jubilee would be my choice. Although it is much smaller than the CH 3 (smaller than a Duke 3 in fact), the hair grade is far superior IMO.
Better backbone, better flow through and soft tips.
Apart from the Colonel, the Jubilee represents the best investment when it comes to Manchurian.

The CH 3 in 3 band super is a big brush.
The splay is far greater than it's equivalent Manchurian and therefor it has a huge presence on the face.
It will provide a luxurious experience, but it will also hog a lot of product.
I'd actually choose a CH 3 in Best (current batch with the whiter softer tips) over the more expensive 3 band Super...

99 18,011
 04-07-2014, 07:52 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
(04-07-2014, 07:39 AM)Jsanchez Wrote: Well I know the 2 don't compare but I have one of the Chubby 2 Synthetics. I like the size of the handle and the brush overalls and want to get one in Badger.
I saw that the CH3 had the Somerset handle and was new. Aren't the Somerset rose handles hard to come by now?

Also would like to get a manchurian and the jubilee does make manchurian hair affordable in a simpson handle.

Now that you pointed that out, my opinion is get both Angel
it would give you a diverse rotation.

I went through those decisions at the beginning its very hard to compare and decisions will be from both sides of the field. If you really like the feel of Chubby 2 synthetic then like Ben points out there's going to be a lot of splay, if you think you can mange /enjoy the splay and size then CH3 is it. If your looking to try one of the more vendor unique hair then Manchurian is it.

I've realized Chubby 2 would be the biggest I would go w/o having a Chubby 3. Unless the Chubby 3 is cheap I would get one for completeness of the collection. ..does that help from my point of view?

(I thought Somerset was entirely rare but longer you stay in this hobby Somersets do show up from time to time so if your thinking CH3 only b/c its new-rare.. go for it. Something the same size to a CH2 may show up in the months ahead.. so unless the itch to have it now is pressing then its what makes you happy.. Jubilee is numbered so there shouldn't be much more left is from that approach)

35 1,329
 04-07-2014, 07:52 AM
User Info
I would have to go with the Chubby 3 if you want pure luxury and a massive brush! Biggrin

82 21,056
 04-07-2014, 08:10 AM
User Info
(04-07-2014, 07:52 AM)refles Wrote: Now that you pointed that out, my opinion is get both Angel
it would give you a diverse rotation.

I went through those decisions at the beginning its very hard to compare and decisions will be from both sides of the field. If you really like the feel of Chubby 2 synthetic then like Ben points out there's going to be a lot of splay, if you think you can mange /enjoy the splay and size then CH3 is it. If your looking to try one of the more vendor unique hair then Manchurian is it.

I've realized Chubby 2 would be the biggest I would go w/o having a Chubby 3. Unless the Chubby 3 is cheap I would get one for completeness of the collection. ..does that help from my point of view?

(I thought Somerset was entirely rare but longer you stay in this hobby Somersets do show up from time to time so if your thinking CH3 only b/c its new-rare.. go for it. Something the same size to a CH2 may show up in the months ahead.. so unless the itch to have it now is pressing then its what makes you happy.. Jubilee is numbered so there shouldn't be much more left is from that approach)

lol I would get both but SWMBO would have my head, but then again probably something that could be cured with a new purse and flowers haha.

As for the splay on the Chubby 3, would the splay from the Muhle 25mm STF come close? That's the the only other large knot brush that has a lot of splay that I own.

And let me ask this, how does the Tulip knots fit in compared to the chubbys and the small manchurians (Duke 3 and jubilee manchurians)

21 368
 04-07-2014, 08:29 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
Sorry don't have the Muhle 25mm STF, but from my understanding isn't all the Muhle lofts really long thus causing the splay?
From the pictures, Muhle is sort of this big bulb and long lofted brush so to get the right pressure I imagine you need to have some pressure to get the lather to generate correctly. This vs a Fan shape of the Chubby w/ a short loft

My feeble attempt at that solution to SWMBO is to work from home those days you have mysterious boxes show up lol

Someone would have to comment to the Tulip as I don't have one, my fixation lately has been the longer looking handles. But I hear its quite comfortable.

35 1,329
 04-07-2014, 08:37 AM
User Info
Yeah with the Muhle loft is 60-62mm and with some slight pressure will splay. When it splays on my face it takes up almost all my face.

As for the SWMBO, I'm deploying a few weeks and already have my mailing address so I'll just ship it there and just come back with it 6 months later lol.

21 368
 04-07-2014, 09:06 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
HAHA good deal, good luck and thank you for your service. Now that's one way to come back w/ more stuff than you deployed with.

35 1,329
 04-07-2014, 09:11 AM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
Both of your choices are unique and quite different from each other...keep in mind the Chubby3 is a wonderful massive brush, that IMO is tough to use often...It takes more product, more set up time to create lather and more time to clean afterwards. I have a Chubby3 2-Band that is amazing and certainly takes up a lot of facial acreage. I only use it a few times or less each month on weekends. I've contemplated the QE II myself on many occasions, as I love the handle and as mentioned above it is a less expensive way to try the Manchurian hair by Simpson. One important note is that all QE II brushes new and old in the production run have the same batch of Manchurian hair, many have noted this Manchurian is different in overall feel from the current Manchurian offerings. I double checked this with Mark at Simpson, and he confirmed all QE II's have the same batch of Manchurian that had been set aside for all QE II's to be produced with. I can only comment that the current 2014 Manchurian is lovely, having gorgeous two-band fan appearance, perfectly soft tips with zero scritch, but a nice resilient character that allows a touch more scrub compared to Simpson's "SiverTip/Super" 2-Band hair. The question is do you want a truly unique jumbo brush that is complete luxury, but may sit in the garage a lot of the time...or another even more unique L/E Manchurian that has very distinctive hair, a special handle and acts more like an artists paintbrush vs. a house painter's brush. Flip a coin as either would be a great addition to any wet shaver's Nook.

4 794
 04-07-2014, 09:59 AM
User Info
So I may just wait on the CH3 it's a lot of money for the handle. I'll probably get the Jubilee and save for a CH2 2-band or Manchurian. But man that CH3 does look nice. I guess it's the idea of having a Somerset handle because if it wasn't I probably wouldn't get a CH3.

Anyone have some insight how the Tulips compare to the small manchurians and the chubbys?

Thanks everyone for the help.

21 368
 04-07-2014, 11:16 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Unless you're Andre the Giant I can't understand why anyone would want a Chubby 3. A 2 is even on the too large side. You are applying shaving lather to your face not painting the side of a barn.........just kidding around guys, but I vote for the Jubilee. It's a down right gorgeous piece of art.

7 2,279
 04-07-2014, 04:21 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
I second that, these brushes have nothing in common but the manufacturer. However, if pushed, I would go with Simpson 2 Band any time over the Super 3 Band or Manchurian.
(04-07-2014, 07:40 AM)ben74 Wrote: Two rather different brushes.

The Jubilee would be my choice. Although it is much smaller than the CH 3 (smaller than a Duke 3 in fact), the hair grade is far superior IMO.
Better backbone, better flow through and soft tips.
Apart from the Colonel, the Jubilee represents the best investment when it comes to Manchurian.

The CH 3 in 3 band super is a big brush.
The splay is far greater than it's equivalent Manchurian and therefor it has a huge presence on the face.
It will provide a luxurious experience, but it will also hog a lot of product.
I'd actually choose a CH 3 in Best (current batch with the whiter softer tips) over the more expensive 3 band Super...

35 1,808
 04-10-2014, 08:01 AM
User Info
Ok so I just pulled the trigger on the QEII. Now the wait begins. The wait is the worst! I'll probably already have my next brush picked out by the time it gets here. I see some Tulips in the future...

21 368
 04-10-2014, 08:08 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
Great to see the decision has been finalized. Its a great brush, I enjoy mine very much.. it kick started my obsession with Manchurian hair Smile

35 1,329
 04-10-2014, 08:22 AM
User Info
(04-10-2014, 08:01 AM)Jsanchez Wrote: Ok so I just pulled the trigger on the QEII. Now the wait begins. The wait is the worst! I'll probably already have my next brush picked out by the time it gets here. I see some Tulips in the future...

yeah - isn't it! congratulations with the decision making - for this week Biggrin

7 1,624
 04-10-2014, 08:26 AM
User Info
(04-10-2014, 08:08 AM)refles Wrote: Great to see the decision has been finalized. Its a great brush, I enjoy mine very much.. it kick started my obsession with Manchurian hair Smile

Thats what I'm afraid of! not wanting any other hair than Manchurian but I still have to try 2-band lol oh the possibilities. A but T3 Manchurian with a butterscotch handle does sound pretty good to me.

21 368