04-07-2014, 10:06 AM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
I've been looking at the current line up of Valobra hard soaps and am curious as to what people who have used them think of them.

I know they make soaps for Czech and Speak so I would expect them to perform similarly.

I like the sound of the Patchouly and Cologne soaps but am struggling to get a clear sense of how they smell - I'm presuming that the Cologne would smell a bit like D R Harris Windsor and the Patchouly would have more of a citrusy smell?

The other question concerns the un-scented version. Does it really have no scent at all or is it more of an artificial smell like Simpson's shaving cream, for example?

What are your thoughts guys?

33 645
 04-09-2014, 11:13 AM
User Info
Connaught has a great price I have the fougere it smells like the shave stick.I have heard various opinions but seems like patchouly might be one to try but the fougere does not bother me, its a great performer

7 156
 04-09-2014, 11:56 AM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
I've just had a puck of Cologne arrive via the BST today and must admit that it is an interesting smell somewhere between DRH Windsor and C&S #88 soaps - I can't quite make up my mind if I like it or not (it's starting to grow on me though).

I like the smell of the shave stick so Fougere might well be the one to try next. Thanks Joel. Smile

33 645
 04-09-2014, 03:52 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I had the Fougere and didn't care for it at all...smelled like the Pickle factory I worked in as a boy...

71 1,468
 04-09-2014, 04:22 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(04-09-2014, 11:56 AM)ajc347 Wrote: I've just had a puck of Cologne arrive via the BST today and must admit that it is an interesting smell somewhere between DRH Windsor and C&S #88 soaps - I can't quite make up my mind if I like it or not (it's starting to grow on me though).

This is exactly the way I felt about the Fougere when I first got it. I never smelled the stick, so I can't compare, but it was like nothing I smelled before and I couldn't decide on it. However, the scent grew on me quickly (perhaps the excellent performance contributed to that as well), and now I like it a lot. I'm still convinced it has a chocolate scent to it Tongue

34 1,628
 04-09-2014, 07:01 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I don't know I would call it a hard soap. It is pliable like Arko or Vitos Red so more like a croap really, not that it matters.

The patchouli that I have smells like patchouli oil and drags my mind back to the 60s. For me it is a pleasant smell and not overly strong, just right. Lathers easily and produces a fine lather for shaving with a straight. All in all a nice shave soap.

Bob

0 1,694
 04-09-2014, 08:09 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Is the Valobra cake softer than the Shave Stick?

I would definitely consider the Shave Stick and the Valobra-made AoS to be hard soap, different from Arko.

- Murray

4 1,150
 04-10-2014, 02:25 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(04-09-2014, 08:09 PM)CMur12 Wrote: Is the Valobra cake softer than the Shave Stick?

I would definitely consider the Shave Stick and the Valobra-made AoS to be hard soap, different from Arko.

- Murray

I have no idea about the shave Valobra stick never having used one.

My idea of a hard soap is a puck of soap that you cannot form into the shape of a container you want to put it in by pressing it into the container with your hands. When I removed the Valobra from it's container to put it into another that is exactly what I did.

OTH to me a hard soap is a puck that you cannot do that with such as MWF or Tabac.

None of that makes any real difference so long as the soap performs well which Valobra does do. It is a minor point in that respect.

Bob

0 1,694
 04-10-2014, 05:10 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
(04-09-2014, 11:56 AM)ajc347 Wrote: ... that it is an interesting smell somewhere between DRH Windsor and C&S #88 soaps...

I cannot imagine what that smells like. Windsor is a bit woodsy and citrusy, and 88 is a dirty rose.

0 1,137
 04-12-2014, 12:12 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(04-09-2014, 11:56 AM)ajc347 Wrote: I've just had a puck of Cologne arrive via the BST today and must admit that it is an interesting smell somewhere between DRH Windsor and C&S #88 soaps - I can't quite make up my mind if I like it or not (it's starting to grow on me though).

I like the smell of the shave stick so Fougere might well be the one to try next. Thanks Joel. Smile

Just want to help you out here…
The Fougere smells NOTHING (zero) like the shave stick, IMO.
I imagine the Unscented is the same as the shave stick.

I had to leave the lid off my Fougere for 2.5-3 weeks just so I could tolerate the scent/strength.
The stick is very mild and pleasant out of the box… basically unscented (or very very lightly scented) soap smell.

I own the Fougere, Cologne, and Patchouly pucks, and a couple Valobra sticks.
Best scent , again IMO, is the Patchouly or the Stick.
(But, none of the 3 scented pucks have the scent of the stick, to me.)

57 2,549
 04-12-2014, 12:29 AM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
That is really interesting to hear - thanks mate. Smile

I like the smell of the stick and had some unscented delivered yesterday.

The unscented smells nothing like the stick either - it has a very clear clay-like scent of tallow.

I like the fact that it does exactly what it says on the box - when they say unscented that is exactly what you get.

There is no hint of added fragrance at all - and tallow is a smell I don't mind at all so I am well happy with it. Smile

33 645
 04-12-2014, 12:38 AM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(04-12-2014, 12:29 AM)ajc347 Wrote: That is really interesting to hear - thanks mate. Smile

The unscented smells nothing like the stick either - it has a very clear clay-like scent of tallow.

I like the fact that it does exactly what it says on the box - when they say unscented that is exactly what you get.

There is no hint of added fragrance at all - and tallow is a smell I don't mind at all so I am well happy with it. Smile

My pleasure.
Thanks for your take on the Unscented.
Do you think it smells identical to the AoS Tallow… though I am not sure that was offered in the UK… or if you were able to try it.

57 2,549
 04-12-2014, 01:01 AM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
I had some AOS unscented a few years ago and IIRC the smell is very similar.

33 645
 04-12-2014, 02:57 AM
User Info
I have the Fougere and the Patchouly, and to my nose, the Fougere has great similarity to the stick, but stronger in scent.
No complaints with the lather. I used this morning for my first shave in 7 days since having spinal surgery through my neck, and this soap performed admirably. I have written elsewhere to this effect, but I do find the performance of these Valobra named soaps better than those made by Valobra for C&S, and the former AoS tallow. I get the impression Valobra has tweaked the soaps in some way to ensure they still have the edge over those made for others.

31 5,280
 05-24-2016, 07:40 AM
User Info
(04-12-2014, 12:12 AM)Nero Wrote:

I had to leave the lid off my Fougere for 2.5-3 weeks just so I could tolerate the scent/strength.
The stick is very mild and pleasant out of the box… basically unscented (or very very lightly scented) soap smell.

The Valobra shave stick smells nothing like the unscented hard puck. The puck has a light soapy smell, while the stick is scented. I do not enjoy any of the scented Valobra soaps but the unscented hard puck is in my top three soaps of all time.

8 192
 05-24-2016, 07:46 AM
User Info
(04-12-2014, 12:29 AM)ajc347 Wrote: That is really interesting to hear - thanks mate. Smile

perfect analogy!

8 192
 05-24-2016, 08:15 AM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(05-24-2016, 07:40 AM)Batmanacci Wrote:
(04-12-2014, 12:12 AM)Nero Wrote:

The Valobra shave stick smells nothing like the unscented hard puck. The puck has a light soapy smell, while the stick is scented. I do not enjoy any of the scented Valobra soaps but the unscented hard puck is in my top three soaps of all time.

You've quoted an old post. If only I had a dollar for every time I disagreed with something I'd written prior.
I would say the stick smells like a weakened version of their fougere, which I think was something I was arguing against originally haha, oh well Wink

57 2,549
 05-24-2016, 09:53 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I only have the unscented, but it is an excellent performer.  Seems virtually identical to Czech&Speake except for the scent...and the $$$.

1 795
 05-25-2016, 04:01 AM
User Info
My tallow Valobra pucks are hard as rock. I think Bob H in this thread mixed the two non tallow almond and menthol with the tallow pucks. The Valobra almond and menthol non tallow soaps are softer Cella like croaps. The tallow pucks are rock hard. My 4 pucks are, at least. And the Valobra Tallow pucks are a hidden gem. They are fantastic performers

24 5,841
 05-25-2016, 07:09 AM
User Info
(05-25-2016, 04:01 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: My tallow Valobra pucks are hard as rock. I think Bob H in this thread mixed the two non tallow almond and menthol with the tallow pucks. The Valobra almond and menthol non tallow soaps are softer Cella like croaps. The tallow pucks are rock hard. My 4 pucks are, at least. And the Valobra Tallow pucks are a hidden gem. They are fantastic performers

The hard pucks are absolutely TOP performers! I personally do not like their softer almond or menthol soaps at all.

8 192