04-07-2014, 03:29 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Just acquired the brush below (more pics when it arrives and is cleaned up). Note: This has now happened; see down below.

I have read references to the brush being made by Rooney; others say it's a Simpson. What say you?

I have seen pictures of the same handle (but with badger hair) made for Brooks Bros, Manhattan, and I know Simpson did make brushes for Brooks Bros.

Myatt, though? They go back a long way. I couldn't say that I thought this brush goes all the way back to the 40s, but someone may have some information.

[Image: Rc2t0sR.jpg]

0 1,733
 04-07-2014, 05:38 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
The handle reminds me a bit of the Simpson Special, but I don't think it's a Simpson. The sticker isn't right for one.

0 1,137
 04-07-2014, 05:59 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(04-07-2014, 05:38 PM)Elendil Wrote: The handle reminds me a bit of the Simpson Special, but I don't think it's a Simpson. The sticker isn't right for one.

Simpsons made many brushes for other companies, nationally and internationally. The stickers were not always 'Simpson'. Not all the handles resembled anything that Simpson made from their own recognisable model line. There are many examples of this.

There are references on other sites to precisely this handle, but some dispute as to whether it is a Simpson or a Rooney. I tend toward Simpson.

0 1,733
 04-07-2014, 06:48 PM
User Info
That is a nice looking brush, Shaun!

82 21,056
 04-07-2014, 10:32 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Just going off the style of the handle I would guess Rooney, but the wording of Bristle and Hair is most commonly seen on old Culmak brushes. Regardless of its heritage, you got a good deal on a very good condition brush. My mixed knot butterscotch Culmaks are very enjoyable in use and better than many (most) modern mixed knots that I have tried.

139 2,677
 04-07-2014, 10:46 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(04-07-2014, 10:32 PM)blzrfn Wrote: Just going off the style of the handle I would guess Rooney, but the wording of Bristle and Hair is most commonly seen on old Culmak brushes. Regardless of its heritage, you got a good deal on a very good condition brush. My mixed knot butterscotch Culmaks are very enjoyable in use and better than many (most) modern mixed knots that I have tried.

I am looking forward to cleaning it up and using it. I, too, like mixed loft brushes. My Vulfix 404 Grosvenor is a superb, big handled, generous brush. My Omega 11047 is also a real treat to use.

0 1,733
 04-15-2014, 10:05 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Here it is: washed and shining in the Australian afternoon sun (there was a fair bit of brown funk in the loft, but it's mint/unused). The mixed loft I'd say is hog and horse. No tapered badger ends as far as I can tell. I might be wrong; I'm not 100% sure.

Still not sure if it's a Simpson or a Rooney, but my money's on Simpson. Please tell me if you think opposite. I have seen references to this claim, but unsupported. Pictured next to it is the Case that I also recently acquired.

It's a hefty little number, this Myatt; feels solid and chunky. Weighs in at 56g; the Case (this and the modern version) comes in at 42gm. The Duke 2 comes in at 60, to give you some idea.

[Image: vzG1fuN.jpg]

0 1,733
 04-15-2014, 10:24 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I'm pretty sure that's a culmak based on the script and decal, but very cool nonetheless. I already have plenty of culmaks bit was tempted to give you some competition on the bidding.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

139 2,677
 04-15-2014, 10:41 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(04-15-2014, 10:24 PM)blzrfn Wrote: I'm pretty sure that's a culmak based on the script and decal, but very cool nonetheless. I already have plenty of culmaks bit was tempted to give you some competition on the bidding.

I know Simpson made handles for Brooks Bros. Not all Simpson brushes had Simpson decals, because they were sold through other stores/shops, in this case Brooks Bros. Gary Young has confirmed handles were made for Brooks Bros of Manhattan.

Here's a separate post. I hope I am able to do this with approval in the Nook Smile

"Nice brushes for sure. I know that Brooks Brothers brush of yours was made by Rooney. I have the twin of yours."

///

"It looks like we have triplets (at least in handles):

http://i.imgur.com/Nn9PH.jpg"

And a quote from Gary Young (if that's ok, too) : "(11-11-2011 14:30 )Gary Young Wrote: [ -> ]We used to produce brushes without Simpson branding showing but with specific customers logos/names stamped (eg. Floris, Trumper, Brooks Brothers, etc)."

Seems clear to me it's a Simpson brush.

And here're a Brooks Bros, identical handle:

[Image: o4lSz52.jpg]

0 1,733
 04-16-2014, 09:13 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Well I'm not going to try and change your mind , I'm only going off my personal experience with several butterscotch brushes. It could be any of the English manufacturers and we can only make educated guesses.

139 2,677
 04-16-2014, 09:19 AM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
Cumack did indeed make brushes for myatt http://www.groovycart.co.uk/cart.php?c=186&p=54437
This was a set for myatt.
Not definitive but pretty solid speculative information

9 429
 04-16-2014, 09:31 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
After a bit more research, I am pretty sure this is a Benwell brush. There was a similar brush posted on another site with identical typeset and decal, I can PM you a link if you like but won't post it because I'm not sure if that is allowed.

A somewhat useful link to a British Industrial historical site:
http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/H._G._Benwell_and_Co

139 2,677
 04-16-2014, 03:49 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
It might be any of the British manufacturers, true, but I am basing my judgement on the research evidence that I have to hand, not just projecting. Simpsons did make brushes for Brooks Bros, though, that much is certain. The rest of the information that I have seen is pure speculation, including the Rooney ref. I don't think it's a Rooney.

Nevertheless, I'd be interested in seeing the Culmak/Benwell links. If you're not certain about posting, check with a Mod, or PM me anyway? It would be good if it could be posted publicly because it adds to the research archive.

I don't really mind what the source of the brush is; all part of the fun and the chance to explore. It is superb either way, and has a deep, lustrous butterscotch.

I DO see a reference to Benwell in a box that is indeed that handle (if only I could copy and paste better pictures, but see below), and speculation that it is a copy of a Simpson from prior to WWII, but again, there is no conclusive evidence. If it is a copy of a Simpson, then it makes this an even MORE interesting brush to me Smile

I wonder what date the brush is, then, if Benwell went under in 1950? The brush may well date to the late 30s if the Simpson original that it was copied from was stamped "Made in London". A brush would have been design-copied the same time the Simpson was made, in all likelihood, not may years later. Thoughts?

This just gets more intriguing.

[Image: 2Q3LnBC.jpg]

0 1,733
 04-16-2014, 08:09 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I read through the forum rules and didn't find anything against posting links to other forums, plus our board owner is a paying advertiser there too so I'm sure it is fine.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread....store-find

I believe you may have already found this thread on your own, but in case you haven't or somebody else is interested there you go. The owner in the thread linked ended up trading the NIB brush for a user grade wedge straight razor. I would have kept and used the brush personally.

139 2,677
 04-16-2014, 08:56 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
On a related thread, there is the actual Simpson that the brush you have the link to is supposedly (and probably is) a copy. Picture attached below. It has a decal stating "Made in London", therefore dating it quite considerably. I'd date the Myatt, as I'll refer to it, to, say, 1935. Seem right??

It's been an interesting thread. Who knows who made what handles for whom, though. I guess you just have to value and like them whatever the heritage. Cool

Quote: "It seems more likely that they might have been trying to emulate Simpson. The Simpson brand brushes have been around since 1919. This one was made before WWII"

[Image: YIzEOTG.jpg]

0 1,733
 04-16-2014, 08:59 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Simpson was made in London up until the start of ww2, the Gary young thread on the history tells the years of Simpsons various moves I believe.

139 2,677
 05-05-2014, 08:04 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(04-16-2014, 09:31 AM)blzrfn Wrote: After a bit more research, I am pretty sure this is a Benwell brush. There was a similar brush posted on another site with identical typeset and decal, I can PM you a link if you like but won't post it because I'm not sure if that is allowed.

A somewhat useful link to a British Industrial historical site:
http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/H._G._Benwell_and_Co

I now have a Benwell brush and yes, the label is VERY similar, although not absolutely identical (check the letter R in "Sterlilized"). On the Benwell I now have, the lathing is much finer, too. But yes, there is no doubting the brushes have almost identical labels; maybe different batches spanning a different decade? Check this: and then also above on the Myatt.

[Image: Syl367z.jpg]
[Image: qgPRWc2.jpg]

0 1,733