04-07-2014, 05:03 PM
User Info
Hey Guys,

I've always used TGN knotted brushes or Vintage Blade brushes. I've never used, let alone held a Simpsons, M&F, etc.

How do you guys compare "brand name" brushes vs TGN or the like?

Is it more than just the hair used in the brushes?

Thanks!

23 656
 04-07-2014, 07:03 PM
User Info
Personally, the TGN knots are great for what they are; good value for a good knot; good backbone with very soft tips, in general.
The more expensive knots are definitely better if you are very specific in what you are looking for in a knot and how you want it to perform. Are they worth that much more money? Well, this will be subjective. For me, the majority of the more expensive knots I have are well worth the money for the characteristics they offer me.
No one will be able to convince you how they are until you actually try one, unfortunately. The good thing is that if you don't think they are a good value for the money, you can always sell them without losing too much money.
Good luck. Smile

83 21,077
 04-07-2014, 10:29 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
You can get a great knot from one of the vendors for a good price and a poor brush from a manufacturer for a higher price, and of course the opposite applies. Until you venture out and try for yourself the question will always remain, for me there is a noticeable difference and I indulge (some may consider it to excess). I enjoy both custom and restored brushes utilizing TGN, Frank's and Virginia Sheng knots very much and they are fairly consistent. But on the other hand you would have to convince me pretty hard to take away one of my vintage butterscotch Simpson Bests or Plisson or Rooney or ...

145 2,752