04-07-2014, 11:00 PM
User Info
I guess TechMatic and other 'continuous band' razors are single edge... a very long edge.

Does this old patent from 1910:
[Image: Band%20Razor%201910.png]
relate to this razor from the mid 1960's:
[Image: 51pOEALejaL._SS500_.jpg]
?

For what it is worth, a lot of people online claims that the Gillette TechMatic was the "worst razor ever" - the head assembly failed to hold the thin strip of steel flat, resulting in cuts, weepers, and scraped skin.

3 4,510
 04-08-2014, 07:42 AM
User Info
Hans, I can't even imagine using something like this! It reminds me too much of electric razors! Biggrin

83 21,078
 04-08-2014, 04:28 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
yeah, the one I had was......HARSH !! Angry
(it was a "gift") was new at the time, nobody knew anything about them, really...
but I SURE FOUND OUT !!
sure, it "ended" blade handling, but required a lot more handling of styptics, bandaids
salve, etc. Dodgy
My Dad (the "gift" Biggrin was NOT from him) chuckled a lot at it. and my face.
Then he gave me a Black Beauty. Then he spent the next 20 years asking me:
"how do you manage to shave SO CLOSE ??" Wink

0 1,291
 04-08-2014, 09:51 PM
User Info
I used a Techmatic and I don't remember anything terrible about it. But is was a lifetime ago too.

I might actually have it squirreled away in a trunk somewhere. But I can't find it and I've looked.

32 6,459
 04-08-2014, 11:52 PM
User Info
From what I can tell, the head was replaced with every cartridge - which means that the shave could change from cartridge to cartridge... and we all know that the quality control on disposable cartridges isn't always top notch to be polite. It would only take a couple of misaligned cartridges for the razor to gain a reputation as a face-shredder.

[Image: tech_exp.jpg]
Looking at an open cartridge, it's obvious to me that keeping tension on the band will be a major challenge - and one more place where quality control can fail.

Also, I learned today that there were many band razors out there in addition to the TechMatic;
- the Wanie Rollband was razorblades on a roll
- the Razor Six had positive control of the blade and tension, but required the user to snap off used band
- the Reel Watch Razor had a take-up spool like the TechMatic
- the Warder-Hudnut Reelshav looked like a audio cassette
- the Schick Auto-Band was Schick's counter to the TechMatic, and even looks much the same

People been spending a lot of energy making the idea work...

3 4,510