04-08-2014, 08:25 AM
User Info
Hello TSN!

I've come to the conclusion that, despite my fondness for the heft and durability of stainless razors, my absolute best shaves come when I use a Merkur 23C with Personna Red blades. However, I'm concerned that I might drop the thing and break it (because, well, pot metal). I believe that the efficacy of the shave is mostly due to the particular blade exposure gap in Merkur heads. Does anyone know of a stainless DE with a comparable head design/blade gap? I've tried the iKon OSS, which is a little rough for me, and the Feather AS-D1, which I've found to be too finicky for me to get a regularly good shave.

Thanks everyone!

5 407
 04-08-2014, 08:39 AM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
have you considered the Ikon shavcraft 101? the closed comb side is pretty close to the aggressiveness (or mildnesss) of a merkur head.
I use the open comb side for my first pass and the closed comb side for the next 2 and get fantastic shaves.
Im not really sure what the metal is in the shavecraft head however.
I am really sure it gives me a damn fine shave and is a lot like a merkur head in terms of aggressiveness anyway..

9 429
 04-08-2014, 08:43 AM
User Info
(04-08-2014, 08:39 AM)W.S.O. Wrote: have you considered the Ikon shavcraft 101? the closed comb side is pretty close to the aggressiveness (or mildnesss) of a merkur head.
I use the open comb side for my first pass and the closed comb side for the next 2 and get fantastic shaves.
Im not really sure what the metal is in the shavecraft head however.
I am really sure it gives me a damn fine shave and is a lot like a merkur head in terms of aggressiveness anyway..

I've thought about it, but it's my understanding that the Shavecraft heads are very similar to the OSS heads, which aren't really my thing. I also believe that the heads are made of aluminum (not that that's bad, but just wanted to let you know). I appreciate the input, though! Smile

5 407
 04-08-2014, 09:02 AM
User Info
If I were to guess, having never used the 23C itself but guessing its similar to the 34C, the Weber with the classic handle would be the closest. I'm no great shakes at determining similarity of razors by "feel" but I always felt the Weber provided about the same shave as the 34C. And by my complete guess, it would be similar to the 23C too.

The classic handle is longer and thinner than the bulldog; its 3 7/8" long, as opposed to the 23C, which is 4" (the bulldog is 3" long).

Looks like Weber is out of stock, but their site says they are getting more in a week or so.

84 1,505
 04-08-2014, 09:04 AM
User Info
(04-08-2014, 09:02 AM)jpakstis Wrote: If I were to guess, having never used the 23C itself but guessing its similar to the 34C, the Weber with the classic handle would be the closest. I'm no great shakes at determining similarity of razors by "feel" but I always felt the Weber provided about the same shave as the 34C. And by my complete guess, it would be similar to the 23C too.

The classic handle is longer and thinner than the bulldog; its 3 7/8" long, as opposed to the 23C, which is 4" (the bulldog is 3" long).

Looks like Weber is out of stock, but their site says they are getting more in a week or so.

Much appreciated, Josh. I've heard that comparison made before and was hoping that it was in fact the case. As I understand it, Merkur heads are identical across the range (except for their slant heads), so the 34C is very likely the same head. Do you happen to know if there's an alert or something you can get for when the Webers come back into stock?

5 407
 04-08-2014, 10:50 AM
User Info
(04-08-2014, 09:04 AM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote: Much appreciated, Josh. I've heard that comparison made before and was hoping that it was in fact the case. As I understand it, Merkur heads are identical across the range (except for their slant heads), so the 34C is very likely the same head. Do you happen to know if there's an alert or something you can get for when the Webers come back into stock?

No problem! And I don't know of any alert or email notification system. I guess you could probably try emailing the Weber guy (whose name escapes me right now) and maybe he'll notify you. Or, like the Cobra Classic, it seems that there are posts either here or on other forums that pop up when they come back in stock.

Actually, I was writing this reply, I went to their site and it looks like they are on Facebook and Twitter, so that's probably a good bet for new information. I've found that once Weber gets them in these days they don't tend to sell out in minutes or hours like say the Cobra.

84 1,505
 04-08-2014, 11:03 AM
User Info
(04-08-2014, 10:50 AM)jpakstis Wrote:
(04-08-2014, 09:04 AM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote: Much appreciated, Josh. I've heard that comparison made before and was hoping that it was in fact the case. As I understand it, Merkur heads are identical across the range (except for their slant heads), so the 34C is very likely the same head. Do you happen to know if there's an alert or something you can get for when the Webers come back into stock?

No problem! And I don't know of any alert or email notification system. I guess you could probably try emailing the Weber guy (whose name escapes me right now) and maybe he'll notify you. Or, like the Cobra Classic, it seems that there are posts either here or on other forums that pop up when they come back in stock.

Actually, I was writing this reply, I went to their site and it looks like they are on Facebook and Twitter, so that's probably a good bet for new information. I've found that once Weber gets them in these days they don't tend to sell out in minutes or hours like say the Cobra.

Really? I was under the impression that they had remained difficult to obtain. If what you say is true, then I may have a legitimate shot at obtaining one. Much obliged!

5 407
 04-08-2014, 12:16 PM
User Info
(04-08-2014, 11:03 AM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote: Really? I was under the impression that they had remained difficult to obtain. If what you say is true, then I may have a legitimate shot at obtaining one. Much obliged!

They seem to stock up a bit more. Of course as I say this watch that they sell out in seconds, so take my experience with a grain of salt the size of the rock of Gibraltar.

84 1,505
 04-08-2014, 04:34 PM
User Info
Actualy, Ed (the Weber guy at http://www.weberrazors.com) is very nice to deal with. When I had a hip replacement 2 years ago, I was afraid I would miss a release date -- so he put one aside for me based on an email request. Ed is a stand-up guy. May I suggest you contact him.

16 350
 04-09-2014, 02:26 AM
User Info
(04-08-2014, 04:34 PM)slackskin Wrote: Actualy, Ed (the Weber guy at http://www.weberrazors.com) is very nice to deal with. When I had a hip replacement 2 years ago, I was afraid I would miss a release date -- so he put one aside for me based on an email request. Ed is a stand-up guy. May I suggest you contact him.

I'll shoot him an email. Thanks for the tip!

5 407
 04-10-2014, 09:51 AM
User Info
Tradere, perhaps?

A different head design, but likely a very similar feel in terms of aggressiveness. Gorgeous razor. Really easy to use.

The problem right now is that they are out of production and it's not at all clear when they'll be available again.

2 1,461
 04-10-2014, 09:54 AM
User Info
(04-10-2014, 09:51 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Tradere, perhaps?

A different head design, but likely a very similar feel in terms of aggressiveness. Gorgeous razor. Really easy to use.

The problem right now is that they are out of production and it's not at all clear when they'll be available again.

Ordered a Weber PH yesterday on the recommendation of all the fine folks here. Hoping that will be the end of it and that I won't have to try the Tradere, which, while beautiful, is both difficult to obtain (as you said) and MUCH more expensive. But I appreciate the additional input!

5 407
 04-10-2014, 10:08 AM
User Info
(04-10-2014, 09:54 AM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote: Ordered a Weber PH yesterday on the recommendation of all the fine folks here. Hoping that will be the end of it and that I won't have to try the Tradere, which, while beautiful, is both difficult to obtain (as you said) and MUCH more expensive. But I appreciate the additional input!

Late to the party but yes, the Weber PH is a fantastic shaver. Good choice. Did you get the classic handle or bulldog? What handle do you typically use with the 23C head - stock?

12 715
 04-10-2014, 01:44 PM
User Info
(04-10-2014, 10:08 AM)bmilcs Wrote:
(04-10-2014, 09:54 AM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote: Ordered a Weber PH yesterday on the recommendation of all the fine folks here. Hoping that will be the end of it and that I won't have to try the Tradere, which, while beautiful, is both difficult to obtain (as you said) and MUCH more expensive. But I appreciate the additional input!

Late to the party but yes, the Weber PH is a fantastic shaver. Good choice. Did you get the classic handle or bulldog? What handle do you typically use with the 23C head - stock?

Classic handle. I like longer handles because (I feel) they give me more control over the razor. I hate short-handled razors, which is one of the reasons I sold my SuperSpeed.

5 407
 04-11-2014, 02:17 AM
User Info
I used the DLC head last night with my Kronos. What a difference.

It's like adding power steering to your shave vs a short handle razor (read this somewhere Biggrin). Feels so right in comparison to the bulldog. It's a shame because the bulldog looks badass.

12 715